LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2002 GTP LS4 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyDSM92
I just wanted to clear up that it is not cheap at all to get the 3800 to go fast, and tuning these cars isn't fun. Also they go quicker when you start modding but even the Gen V models only keep up with a LS1 when its been heavily modded.
And modding the LS4 is cheap? I mean the worlds fastest w-bodys that run sub-10 sec 1/4 miles are 3800 based cars, not LS4's. Naturally that's comparing apples to oranges to an extent since you're talking fully built cars that are typically track only cars, but still the potential is there. Not to say someone couldn't do that with an LS4 if their pockets were deep enough, but the aftermarket is just that much larger than that of the LS4, and that will never change especially since after the 2009 model year the LS4 won't even be in existance in any GM cars.

You look at the NA LS4 cars here and so far very low 13's seems to be what's easily accomplished with the basic bolt ons. If anyone wanted to go significantly faster than that you're looking at the turbo kit. So right there between that and a built tranny you're over $7k not counting any costs already put into the LS4 motor and swap already. In the end it costs alot to make anything fast regardless of the motor. I'd still rather put my money into a 3800 than an LS4. And even then, you're still stuck with an automatic and FWD. And once you start thinking about doing a manual and RWD swap it gets to the point where it's not even remotely worth the insane costs associated with doing something like that. Might as well go buy a RWD with a manual at that point. Gotta look at what's more important, having something different, or having the best car for the money.

Regardless, goodluck in your swap. Not meaning to discourage the project. Just IMO not something I'd want to do personally. Keep us posted.
Old 07-10-2009 | 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the statement above is why my next car will be a GTO...this was my first V8...I have always had a W-Body...so I am still driving a platform I know but I get to feel the power of a V8.

06 BOM Goat will be my next purchase in 2-3 years....hell by then GTO's will be down in the 10-12K range...
Old 07-10-2009 | 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

X2....

I will then have my 10 Camaro SS along side a GTO 06 with what I hope to be the one with the sports body package.

I am just sick of the lack of support for these cars.
Old 07-10-2009 | 11:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 20SS07
And modding the LS4 is cheap? I mean the worlds fastest w-bodys that run sub-10 sec 1/4 miles are 3800 based cars, not LS4's. Naturally that's comparing apples to oranges to an extent since you're talking fully built cars that are typically track only cars, but still the potential is there. Not to say someone couldn't do that with an LS4 if their pockets were deep enough, but the aftermarket is just that much larger than that of the LS4, and that will never change especially since after the 2009 model year the LS4 won't even be in existance in any GM cars.

You look at the NA LS4 cars here and so far very low 13's seems to be what's easily accomplished with the basic bolt ons. If anyone wanted to go significantly faster than that you're looking at the turbo kit. So right there between that and a built tranny you're over $7k not counting any costs already put into the LS4 motor and swap already. In the end it costs alot to make anything fast regardless of the motor. I'd still rather put my money into a 3800 than an LS4. And even then, you're still stuck with an automatic and FWD. And once you start thinking about doing a manual and RWD swap it gets to the point where it's not even remotely worth the insane costs associated with doing something like that. Might as well go buy a RWD with a manual at that point. Gotta look at what's more important, having something different, or having the best car for the money.

Regardless, goodluck in your swap. Not meaning to discourage the project. Just IMO not something I'd want to do personally. Keep us posted.
The 3800 is a great engine platform but the problems that arise when tuning the thing make the LS4 seem more worth it longterm. The market has more stuff for the 3800 but its slowing down a bit. Intense is dropping the platform and ZZP is also slowing up. The 3800 is also not going to be in anymore cars either.

I think if we are patient more stuff will arise for the LS4...

Isn't there a turbo LS4 on here running 10's? You have to load the mods onto a 3800. A GenV, Cam, intercooler, built heads, trans and all other supporting mods ran high 12's, barely cracking it, and still couln't keep up with a mildly modded F-Body.
Old 07-10-2009 | 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
And the statement above is why my next car will be a GTO...this was my first V8...I have always had a W-Body...so I am still driving a platform I know but I get to feel the power of a V8.

06 BOM Goat will be my next purchase in 2-3 years....hell by then GTO's will be down in the 10-12K range...

I don't think so, with the GM mid-price level perfromamce cars being phased out, I think the GTO's with hold their value even more in the coming year, I am willing to bet that our ls4 cars will begin to hold its value.

Quick Reply: 2002 GTP LS4 swap?