LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Quick Brake Job Question

Old 08-08-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick Brake Job Question

37,600 miles and my pads are starting to talk....so if I try to do the brakes myself are there any special tools involved to take the pads out?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope unless you dont have these. Ratchet to take the caliber off and pull the pads off the caliber mounting bracket. You will also need a c-clamp to press the pistons in
Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
37,600 miles and my pads are starting to talk....so if I try to do the brakes myself are there any special tools involved to take the pads out?
You need to change your pads already? I replaced mine @ about 48,000 miles when I put on the new rotors, wheels and painted the calipers. The pads I took off had a lot of life left.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I am not sure, the rears have started to squeak every once and a while..i will probably have them checked out first.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

i replace mine every like 5000 miles.....
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

No offense but if you don't know how to inspect them, I wouldn't suggest you replace the pads yourself. It's the one thing I don't say to play with for someone who is inexperienced. Please don't think I am tryin to be a dick. You will need more then a rachet and c clamp though. Also get an old wire hanger or something to hang the caliper on if you do it yourself, brake cleaner ( don't get anything on the braking surface of the pads and clean the rotors. Then you have to also clean and lube the caliper slide bolts, inspect the caliper/cylinder seal and apply some anti chatter lube on the back sides in the right spots. If you have pulsation, you should mic the rotors and while you are at it, suck out some of the old brake fluid (if it's not in bad shape) and replace it if not have a full flush done. Also, obviously don't get all your tech info from the web ;-)
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you end up turning or replacing the rotors (which I would recommend at least a turn), you will need a torx bit to remove the stupid assembly aid screw on the rotor. That is for GXPs though. Do the impalas and montes have those too?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love when people bash the hell out of you for asking a simple question and then say not to be a dick....

Sorry buddy but you are being a dick....I know what goes into a brake job, and I am not asking how to do one. On other W-Bodies you need a special attachment to get the piston to compress. I haven't taken my wheels off on this car yet so I haven't really seen the caliper set up etc...

But hey thanks for the input....if you want to call it that...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

hey Buddy,

I didn't know you were so experienced since you said you had to um, have them "checked out." If you think that is being a dick, AH WELL. Now how did I bash you? Bashing you would be saying don't try it at all, you are an obvious crack pot. Did I say that? If you are reffering to a screw style piston, why didn't you say that? Meanwhile get bent etc etc blah blah. Now I am being a dick, see the difference? Glad I don't bother most of the time in forums cuz this is what you get.

Search this Thread