LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Check oil/low oil light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check oil/low oil light issue

Hey

Ive been having a issue with my check oil/low oil light since i bought my car. The only thing i can reference it from was back when i had 2.4 Z24 and i was told not to corner quickly (after I blew my motor lol) with it as they have bad oil splash issues. The low oil sensor has been dealt with 3 times at a dealership(GM) and nothing has changed. But oddly enough it only happens when i brake overly hard and turn quickly when auto-xing. The Dealership checked my oil pump and its fine.

Think adding a slight safe amount of more oil will simply help this issue dissapear???. I know it fixed it with my old Z24 but this is a completly diff setup and car.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Launching!

hmm what car do u have? that might help resolve the issue.. and how much oil do u have in it?

i have an 06 impala ss and i beat the **** out of it taking the hardest corners.. the (low oil) warning has only been on once, and that was when i first got it a year ago.. and it really did have low oil lol
Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Launching!

sorry its a 07 GXP lol
Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was at the dealership myself today to complain about my low oil issue. I recently added 2 quarts of oil more than a month ago to resolve the low oil light on the DIC. I then took a trip down to Miami two weeks ago and when I came back, it was showing low oil again. FWIW, I'm using Mobil 1 0W-30.

They (the stealership) wanted to charge me for an oil change so they could do a diagnostic.

Any TSBs or help with this low oil issue?

06 GXP here.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had an issue as well with the low oil light comming on. I replaced the sensor, a $15 part. Fixed it.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

I think it would be important to know what is cauing the light to come on. If it is because the oil pump is getting starved for oil then you obviously have a much bigger concern than if the sensor that determines how much oil is in the pan is causing it.

I would be concerned about overfilling as I would not want the crank splashing in the oil.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I just finished putting in ~3 quarts of oil (Mobil 1 0-30w).

I went to a second dealership today and they said to fill it up and bring in my oil tomorrow. That way they'll be able to monitor oil usage in X mile intervals after I leave. Mind you when the guy checked my dip stick, there was no oil whatsoever.

The first dealership I went to wanted to charge me $69.99 for the oil change and then and only then would they start me on this diagnostic program: bring the car back every 1000 miles, etc.

This is nuts because like I mentioned earlier, I just topped it up with 2 quarts almost a month ago.

EDIT: SigmaX6, sorry to thread jack.

Quick Reply: Check oil/low oil light issue