LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

For those worried about voiding your warranty when modding READ!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those worried about voiding your warranty when modding READ!

I've noticed that there has been some discussion about voiding your factory warranty when modifying your LS4.

Technically GM can void powertrain warranty with any modification that increases power or torque.

GM can also void warranty on suspension components if you install lowering springs, larger wheels, swaybars etc.

Any changes made to the ECM and or TCM can be easily discovered as all factory software updates will have a date code and authorization number. When a new tune is uploaded it will normally store under the previous authorization number so it's easy to spot.

GM is now paying technicians additional time to look into the programming history and determine if there has ever been any "un-authorized" changes. They especially want to see copies of this information when doing a major warranty repair, in fact it is now mandatory when replacing or overhauling any V8 engine. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

If you think you can throw your turbo kit on the car, blow the transmission, take the car back to stock and then take it in for warranty, you may be SOL. Even if the dealership doesn't notice an ECM flash or anything out of the ordinary they can pull up the torque data that was recorded when the TCM recorded a failure. If that torque data is higher than is possible in the vehicle's stock format, that is grounds enough to to void the powertrain warranty.

This is GM's policy but, not to say a dealership won't turn it's head if you have something minor done like an intake or downpipe... it all depends on who you are dealing with.

The only way I can think of to save your warranty while at the same time being able to mod the car is this. Before modifying the vehicle, purchase a new ECM and TCM and have it programmed at the dealership. Save your original computers and modify to your heart's content. If you have a problem you must then take the vehicle back to stock and re-install the original computers. If all of that work is worth it then go for it. I have a feeling that those of you doing the major modifications are saying F the warranty anyways!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or slip the tech $20 to keep his mouth shut
Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see someone stuff a ls7 into the hood, and than bring the car into the dealership and be like its not running right but not telling them you swap engines.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
I would love to see someone stuff a ls7 into the hood, and than bring the car into the dealership and be like its not running right but not telling them you swap engines.
LMAO!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best bet is to be aware of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act and understand when they can and can't deny you warranty work.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I first got HP Tuners software, it wouldn't allow me to tune the vehicle since GM loaded a different operating system than their service site said was supposed to be loaded. HPT refused to provide a patch for my operating system and said my only option was to get a dealer to reflash with the correct operating system.

My dealer really resisted reflashing the ECM, Had fun convincing them to do it without explaining that it was so I could modify the tune! I'm sure that would have been instant voided warranty.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

they cannot do that.. its that simple... if a mod u made to the car actually caused the problem then they can. for them to do that there has indisputable proof that it did in fact cause it. there are laws against stuff like that that protect consumers, read up on the magguson vs moss warranty act
Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

gm is a scumbag company... should have let it go
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, when i called them they said anything voids the entire car warrenty. So if you put a new head unit in the car, they will void yuor engine warrenty. I had three people confirm it as well as supervisors...granted i was talking to people in india but still.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, when i called them they said anything voids the entire car warrenty. So if you put a new head unit in the car, they will void yuor engine warrenty. I had three people confirm it as well as supervisors...granted i was talking to people in india but still.
Will since the law states otherwise, they really have no room to fight it should a customer actually take it to that. Most people are unaware of that though. FWIW, I had warranty work done twice with an aftermarket headunit, that's a little extreme and despite what those people said you talked to they're not going to void it for that, as I mentioned anyone that looks up on the Magnuson Moss warranty act will see, as mentioned that the modification in question has to cause the problem that you're trying to get the warranty work done. You're USUALLY okay with basic bolt-ons without them even saying anything.

That being said, anytime you're messing with engine internals, aftermarket tunes, etc. it's going to be a lot easier for them to deny warranty service if you're in for anything engine related.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigalnash
they cannot do that.. its that simple... if a mod u made to the car actually caused the problem then they can. for them to do that there has indisputable proof that it did in fact cause it. there are laws against stuff like that that protect consumers, read up on the magguson vs moss warranty act
ok ,so lets say I install headers and a tune, then my transmission breaks. what kind of proof does the dealer need to say that my transmission failure was caused by the said aftermarket parts.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have an aftermarket head unit which caused the onstar to continuesly search for a singnal and killed my battery...they still replaced my battery for free.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tokay57
ok ,so lets say I install headers and a tune, then my transmission breaks. what kind of proof does the dealer need to say that my transmission failure was caused by the said aftermarket parts.
They'll probably just go and say the increased power caused it if they in fact see the aftermarket stuff which they probably would. Not sure how they would prove it or how you could fight it based on the warranty act. They would at least have some ground to use that as an excuse.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I am out of warranty... I don't think my mods would void it; do you? lol...

-Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

For real tho,

My service manager in Ohio, said "I dont care if you have headers or a cam or anything ill still fix it, but others may report you".

I think with an LS6 intake mani, they would never know. Also headers, put the factory heat shields over the headers, (ill wire tie those bitches on there) i bet those dumbies wouldnt bat an eye.

OH and always play stupid.....

Consumer-" Not sure what happened Sir, pulled out of the driveway and the tranny stopped shifting". (after you just burnt your f**kin tires off"

Dealer- "Well we will take a look at her and probably put another transimission in it and by the way did you know it has a shift kit".

Consumer- "Im sorry Sir can you define what a "Shift Kit" is?"
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha. Don't know how that shift kit got there! Seriously though if you blow it smoking your tires definitely make sure to clean the tire rubber out of your wheel wells they will look for that right away.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 20SS07
They'll probably just go and say the increased power caused it if they in fact see the aftermarket stuff which they probably would. Not sure how they would prove it or how you could fight it based on the warranty act. They would at least have some ground to use that as an excuse.
thats my point, basically any power adding mod, can void all driverain related warranty. know if you have a problem with a light switch or something, then then that warranty act is valid.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tap Dat SS
I've noticed that there has been some discussion about voiding your factory warranty when modifying your LS4.

Technically GM can void powertrain warranty with any modification that increases power or torque.

GM can also void warranty on suspension components if you install lowering springs, larger wheels, swaybars etc.

Any changes made to the ECM and or TCM can be easily discovered as all factory software updates will have a date code and authorization number. When a new tune is uploaded it will normally store under the previous authorization number so it's easy to spot.

GM is now paying technicians additional time to look into the programming history and determine if there has ever been any "un-authorized" changes. They especially want to see copies of this information when doing a major warranty repair, in fact it is now mandatory when replacing or overhauling any V8 engine. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

If you think you can throw your turbo kit on the car, blow the transmission, take the car back to stock and then take it in for warranty, you may be SOL. Even if the dealership doesn't notice an ECM flash or anything out of the ordinary they can pull up the torque data that was recorded when the TCM recorded a failure. If that torque data is higher than is possible in the vehicle's stock format, that is grounds enough to to void the powertrain warranty.

This is GM's policy but, not to say a dealership won't turn it's head if you have something minor done like an intake or downpipe... it all depends on who you are dealing with.

The only way I can think of to save your warranty while at the same time being able to mod the car is this. Before modifying the vehicle, purchase a new ECM and TCM and have it programmed at the dealership. Save your original computers and modify to your heart's content. If you have a problem you must then take the vehicle back to stock and re-install the original computers. If all of that work is worth it then go for it. I have a feeling that those of you doing the major modifications are saying F the warranty anyways!
luckily, the diablo Predator and Trinity do not leave any trace whatsoever of ever being on there, so I'm good...

and, there is no "history" logging/saving/tracking on the E40 ECM's in the 2006's anyway... so, I'm good again woohoo!!...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Or have the tech at the dealership in your car club like mine
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tokay57
thats my point, basically any power adding mod, can void all driverain related warranty. know if you have a problem with a light switch or something, then then that warranty act is valid.
Yea, but they still couldn't just go and be like "okay, you installed a cold air intake, the powertrain part of your warranty is now void."