LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tran failure (nothing new) Possibly saying good bye though..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does it in turns too when I'm beating on it. Its a ticking time bomb.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine just did at 42k miles i was planning on driving on the car untill the wheels fall off but looks like thats gonna be sooner than later with these pieces of sh...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

First off I know squat about this but it seems that you guys need bigger ports in the circulating system...like they are not getting the proper amount of lube...is there such a thing as a external tranny pump for those cars like the t56...were it pumps fluid from the drain hole back up to the top of the trans???
Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

I bought my car with 60k on it and at about 62k i did a tranny flush through a system and by the time i pumped 13 quarts through it the line into the machine was almost unable to be grabbed... is there a "nice" gxp tranny cooler kit? with the gm line fittings on it? because it sounds like most problems are because of the heat. I would like this car to last over 100k also when im at WOT it has a very soft shift you could probly watch the nose come down on the one too two shift... is there a "nice" kit for a firm shift? not hard just somethin to help it out a bit..... ZZP does alot with grand prix and they have some crazy cheap kit
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 91_rs-teal
I bought my car with 60k on it and at about 62k i did a tranny flush through a system and by the time i pumped 13 quarts through it the line into the machine was almost unable to be grabbed... is there a "nice" gxp tranny cooler kit? with the gm line fittings on it? because it sounds like most problems are because of the heat. I would like this car to last over 100k also when im at WOT it has a very soft shift you could probly watch the nose come down on the one too two shift... is there a "nice" kit for a firm shift? not hard just somethin to help it out a bit..... ZZP does alot with grand prix and they have some crazy cheap kit
Most tranny cooler kits should fit.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I mean a tranny cooler kit with the newer gm male fitting and a female fitting on the other end... anything like that out there yet?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Well I just went through this ordeal too guys...

My tranny guy told me he found what appeared to be copper filings through the tranny. Copper/bronze in color. Nothing major with clutch packs or gears. Showed no signs of abuse, cuz' I don't abuse it.

He attempted a rebuild with a new valve body and servos.

After he read through all the service annoucments from GM, he believed that the valve body and shitty servos were causing the biggest problems.

He mentioned the one service announcement required 6 out of 8 servos to be replaced.

Apparently Sonnax is making a big supply of servos and valve bodys for this tranny. Well he tried them and it still didn't work.

After three weeks, I checked prices on a used and new tranny. Average used tranny $1700 plus core. Local GM dealers cheapest was $2890 + labor (and it is a fact that there are lots of spare tranny's from GM that are NOT upgraded before being sold as new and are failing just as fast as the one you just replaced)......last but not least ....New from Jasper $2000.

Screw it. I paid for a new Jasper with a 3 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty. Which will be the life of this car. Free car rental if I break down. Free tow.

My guy was cool enough not to even charge me for all the Sonnax stuff and labor with his first attempt.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Tranny question

...been reading this site for some time now and I myself have a 2006 GXP with no problems to report in 30,000 miles. Looking at all the tranny rebuilds Im wondering if this is gonna be a trend or from mods? My car is stock with all the fluids drained/refilled and I dont beat it but, did the 2006 year model have the 4t65e upgrades? My cars build date was nov. 2005 so I figure I may have a good one who knows?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

In the S/C 3800 world it's understood that your tranny is at risk if you get much past 300HP at the crank, so I really do think a couple simple bolt ons push the limits of the transmission. Some people are fine and have put serious miles on the car with bolt ons and others seem to be hexed like hexx.

I took advantage of the sale TEP ran to get the internals done right so I could keep adding power without worrying, but I think a shift kit by itself helps a ton. They're not expensive ($65 from TEP, http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com...ts_Page_2.html) and IMO they feel great too.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
If your trans is bumping in turns I would seriously check the fluid, level/condition engine hot. They will go neutral in turns if the fluid is low or if the pump cannot pick up enough fluid in the pan.
Fluid level is cool,and like i said it does it from 0 to 5 mph take off...1 thing I forgot to mention is my traction control light comes on(blinks) when this happens...

Nacho:Mine does it in turns too when I'm beating on it. Its a ticking time bomb.

Does your traction control light blink when this happens???And when i try to beat on it around corners it normally boggs out
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Fluid level is cool,and like i said it does it from 0 to 5 mph take off...1 thing I forgot to mention is my traction control light comes on(blinks) when this happens...

Nacho:Mine does it in turns too when I'm beating on it. Its a ticking time bomb.

Does your traction control light blink when this happens???And when i try to beat on it around corners it normally boggs out
The bog you're experiencing is your differential anti-score system cutting throttle.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
The bog you're experiencing is your differential anti-score system cutting throttle.
The bog is the least of my worries but embarassing,but the slipping when i turn @ a 0 to 5mph take off is my prob...Shift kit should help hold her up for a while,right???
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I usually run the car with TC off 24/7. Unless I'm in the rain.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I usually run the car with TC off 24/7. Unless I'm in the rain.
So when going around corners from a stop(0 to 5mph),does your trans still feel like its slipping???Or is that only when your smashing around corners!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tater Salad Might have a point, if the Forward servo were cracked, the transmission could go neutral from a stop. The servo is accessable from the back side of the unit, should only have 3 screws holding it in. The piston can then be easily removed.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Yes... as I did with mine, replace the piston too...^^^
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

So when going around corners from a stop(0 to 5mph),does your trans still feel like its slipping???Or is that only when your smashing around corners!!!
Well it hesitates coming out of turns, like the engine is taching off some revs but it doesn't feel like the car is moving.

From a stop/low roll shifting out of first is pretty laggy too, if I had to describe it the RPMs approach the red line and there's a momentary pause where the car is in between 1st and 2nd and the pitch of the engine climbs before it grabs 2nd. Don't know if that is just how it works or I'm willing to guess my tranny is on the outs.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Well it hesitates coming out of turns, like the engine is taching off some revs but it doesn't feel like the car is moving.

From a stop/low roll shifting out of first is pretty laggy too, if I had to describe it the RPMs approach the red line and there's a momentary pause where the car is in between 1st and 2nd and the pitch of the engine climbs before it grabs 2nd. Don't know if that is just how it works or I'm willing to guess my tranny is on the outs.
How many miles on yours???Me i have a lil over 23xxx on the Imp,and from what your describing sound similar to my prob...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vectus
Found a good deal on a G8 but really aiming for a Camero. what do you guys think?
I think you should spell camaro correctly lol
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
I think you should spell camaro correctly lol
Do you now, Kmaro man.
lmao

Quick Reply: Tran failure (nothing new) Possibly saying good bye though..