LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tran failure (nothing new) Possibly saying good bye though..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tran failure (nothing new) Possibly saying good bye though..

Well my 2nd transmission went out on the 24th and was towed to the dealer out of town. Called today and they said it was "burnt". It was new when i got it and had less then 16K. There going to have someone come in and figure out what went wrong. I know there going to blame my mods even though i babied my car for the most part. If i can duck out like Hexx and trade it in im going to. Found a good deal on a G8 but really aiming for a Camero. what do you guys think?

Last edited by Vectus; 12-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

What do these feel like when they're about to go? About once I week mine will "bump" when starting from a dead stop.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
What do these feel like when they're about to go? About once I week mine will "bump" when starting from a dead stop.
That sounds about right, i'd describe it more of a shudder when it reaching its final miles. But yea it starts with a bump.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vectus
That sounds about right, i'd describe it more of a shudder when it reaching its final miles. But yea it starts with a bump.

Damn I must be about to go. What is it that breaks in them? Could I get that replaced now cheaper than an entire rebuild?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i honestly dont know, the dealer mines at is having an expert going to figure out what went wrong. the first tanny was the dealers fault for putting the wrong fluids in it. I'd recommend going in and asking what could be done if there is anything that can be done before it finally goes. I'll give you a price quote they give me, i'm sure that'll be the first thing there going to be ready to give me.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For it to bump like that from a stop the unit would have to be going neutral despite the selector position which could be due to low pump pressure(bad pump or clogged filter) or low fluid level. Check your fluid level and condition to be sure, engine hot. Also if you are very hard on the car you should change the fluid/ filter at 50K.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
For it to bump like that from a stop the unit would have to be going neutral despite the selector position. Check your fluid level and condition to be sure, engine hot. Also if you are very hard on the car you should change the fluid/ filter at 50K.
Think it would help me out to just get a fluid/filter change anyway? Extend the life some?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its very important to change the fluid and filter in an automatic, despite what GM would rather you do. Esspecially if you are more than hard on it. Another thing I beleive that modifying the car to some extent does put alot of distress on the transmission because shifting becomes very odd, esspeically when you are on it. At least it did for me when my car was modified. Since the computer has a low tolerance for compensation, you have to tune the transmission and tune it good. These newer car computers cannot handle changes anymore without causing an unrealated problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Its very important to change the fluid and filter in an automatic, despite what GM would rather you do. Esspecially if you are more than hard on it. Another thing I beleive that modifying the car to some extent does put alot of distress on the transmission because shifting becomes very odd, esspeically when you are on it. At least it did for me when my car was modified. Since the computer has a low tolerance for compensation, you have to tune the transmission and tune it good. These newer car computers cannot handle changes anymore without causing an unrealated problem.
I'll get the fluid changed ASAP. I know I had my tuner leave TQ Management on so abuse mode is still helping me out some. Maybe I can get some miles out of this thing. The 12k miles I've had it have been very rough.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've noticed that a good amount of people here seem to be very hard on thier cars esspecially with modifications, and I dont know if anyone is servicing the transmissions.

The torque management is one thing, but the overall timing and pressure is another.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

I've noticed that a good amount of people here seem to be very hard on thier cars esspecially with modifications, and I dont know if anyone is servicing the transmissions.

The torque management is one thing, but the overall timing and pressure is another.
I know that he said he bumped the pressure or quickened shifts somehow. I know they feel much snappier under <WOT at WOT you can't tell that much of a difference.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Teching In

My 2k6 Imp SS (at 54k) has done the bump thing twice from a dead stop.
And it has another issue with being on a decline shifting from drive to reverse
(give a little throttle) then a bump.
And of course shifting back to drive from reverse (give a little throttle) then a bump.
I have taking it to the dealer twicw to duplicate but its a bit difficult.
But im at least tryna build a history of tranny issues.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AKP2K6SS
And of course shifting back to drive from reverse (give a little throttle) then a bump.
That's EXACTLY what mine's doing.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can get into a G8GT I'd go for it. The only downfall is that Pontiac has been axed, so parts will get more difficult to get.

My brother has an 09 G8GT and absolutely loves the car. Runs mid 12's with Intake, headers, exhaust, and a tune. Stock 245mm tires, made just under 360WHP and ran 12.6 @ 108
Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went out at 119k miles. It just decided not to go into reverse in the morning, but the forward gears still worked!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The reverse servo piston probably cracked. That is actually an easy fix.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine went out as well, i dont beat on it, i cant beat on it, dont drag race , after me going to the dealer once a week, and only getting a tcm update after update after update never solved the issue

the issue was the tcc the vavle body everything inside was burnt to a crisp!!, the rebuild did nothing for me either, i saw the trans apart and the tech showed me every piece was black, the vavle body was clogged badly, he told me and i know this as well, parts are made poorly in mexico shipped to us and put in our "american" cars

so the rebuild took a **** too, still had the bang, still had the shutter from the tc, again once a week in the dealer, i hear nothing is wrong, im nuts i hear!! wow, real nice to treat a tech that fixes your cars way to go!!!

so after a month of the dealer having my car finally replaced the entire trans and tc, and finally its fixed, dealer goes by what the gm service bullitins say, not what a tech says, my car sat for 2 weeks until gm came out with a new bulletin that said replace trans to solve issue.......wtf gm?!?!?

gm should either use a different trans with the ls4 or should have made the current trans stronger to handle the power
Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKP2K6SS
You can add me to this list,it does it everyday even after I warm the car up for 5 mins...Also having problems when making a right turn,feels like the trans is slipping bad and that's from a 0 to 5mph take off...And since owning my car I've had 1 trans service(2yrs) and I only have 22420 miles on the Imp...

Do think adding a shift kit right now would help out a little???
Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vectus
Well my 2nd transmission went out on the 24th and was towed to the dealer out of town. Called today and they said it was "burnt". It was new when i got it and had less then 16K. There going to have someone come in and figure out what went wrong. I know there going to blame my mods even though i babied my car for the most part. If i can duck out like Hexx and trade it in im going to. Found a good deal on a G8 but really aiming for a Camero. what do you guys think?
If I were you, I would definitely dip out while you can get the most money for your car and grab one of these G8's at the amazing prices they're going for. Seriously, the G8 makes our LS4 cars feel like a cheaply made toy in every way imaginable. I do miss the character my monte had, but, the G8 definitely has some aggressive lines!

Another reason to get a G8 over a camaro is because the camaros are ALREADY more common. G8's are a rare sighting and a treat to look at when you see one. The only reason to get a camaro is if you want to 6 speed manual since the GXP's just aren't worth the money in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Others:
One of the very early symptoms I saw in my car this time around was a little bit of hesitation at highway crusing speeds. Every once in a while, I would sense a little "tick" of hesitation. Particularly under very light throttle. My initial thought was that it was a problem with dirty fuel injectors or something. After cleaningt he injectors didn't do anything, eventually the little hestitation became very severe and before you know it, my torque convertor (or at least thats my guess) is making this spinning \ scraping sound even at idle. I managed to get just enough life out of it to visit several dealers and find the car I wanted. Sorry, but if GM isn't going to step up to their transmission issues in these cars, they're just not worth sticking with (the ls4s). GM is only lucky they have the G8 because I should have ditched them entirely.

And regarding the post about parts being hard to get for the g8, I'm not very worried about it since it seems like every other country in the world has a variant of this car.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
You can add me to this list,it does it everyday even after I warm the car up for 5 mins...Also having problems when making a right turn,feels like the trans is slipping bad and that's from a 0 to 5mph take off...And since owning my car I've had 1 trans service(2yrs) and I only have 22420 miles on the Imp...

Do think adding a shift kit right now would help out a little???
If your trans is bumping in turns I would seriously check the fluid, level/condition engine hot. They will go neutral in turns if the fluid is low or if the pump cannot pick up enough fluid in the pan.

Quick Reply: Tran failure (nothing new) Possibly saying good bye though..