LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem

Hey u guys I have a lil problem , took the car to get a car wash late last night and as soon as I left the engine came on. Scanned the code and it said oil pressure system or circuit , erased the code and after bout an hour came back on. Has anybody had any oil presure problems.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

water issue?

Were you pressure washing the engine?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has been pretty cold out maybe 30's and no just a quick machine wash and tea I thought it could have been something got wet but after erasing the code came back on figured whatever it was should have dried so I can think of what it could be haven't had a chance to take a look.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you actually check the oil? Was it a drag you through car wash?

Maybe it got hit underneath!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i havent checked the oil. just got an oil change couple days ago.and yea it was a drag u carwash but does it through the wheels.like in assembly line .idk i cleared the code again. it was 0121 oil presure switch system
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

On a completely separate note, don't take your car thru one of those washes, they are so bad for your paint its crazy.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blakss
i havent checked the oil. just got an oil change couple days ago.and yea it was a drag u carwash but does it through the wheels.like in assembly line .idk i cleared the code again. it was 0121 oil presure switch system
Check the plug on the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

as far the paint goes I know but really just wanted to get salt off but usually go to a touchless wash and my bad the code was 0521 engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit range performance but thanks for the help. And then to top it off I cleared it again to get the remote start and dod to keep working and now I got two codes, that one and 0455 evap system leak so imma take it to the dealer seeing as I should have a emmisions warrenty still hopefully they can fix the problem.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

My CES light came on during xmas break - now my car only runs in 8 cyl mode, so thinking the same even though I haven't got the code read.

Thinking that issue should keep your car in 8 cyl mode from a lack of positive oil pressure reading.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have to swap in a new sensor it's very easy and will take all of 5 minutes to do. But if you do buy a new sensor, make sure you buy a new filter screen, it sits just below the sensor.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still haven't seen where the OP verified that there is actual oil in the pan. Just a bit scary is all. I would sure as Hades check what a warning light was, well...warning, before I assumed a bad sensor.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

You need to replace it! I just had that happen to me it acually shorted out internally and threw a bunch of other codes. But i tried clearing it also and it did nothing but come right back since replacing ive had no problems
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
My CES light came on during xmas break - now my car only runs in 8 cyl mode, so thinking the same even though I haven't got the code read.

Thinking that issue should keep your car in 8 cyl mode from a lack of positive oil pressure reading.
KAZ!

Where have you been man? Good to see a member of the old watch post up!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually haven't checked the oil just going but the readings..i had to light on and after erasing it hasn't came bak. now i only got the original one. oil pressure sensor code not the other emissions one.. (thinking it was a false reading due to the really cold weather. its been below zero lately here in chicago the last couple days) and well my friend works at auto zone so hes getting me the part and dropping it off tomorrow. where can i find this screen u speak of? and any one who has had this problem before can i simply unbolt and rebolt it back up?is oil gunna drain? so i can pick up some extra oil..and yea my DOD and remote start has been turned off due to the light hasnt been riding different other than the DOD off but have been tryn not to drive it that much unless necessary.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First the LS motors have priority oiling to the bottom end.
Second they are dirty beasts inside, The burnt varnish builds up a thin layer on everything internal, especially if your tail pipes are black inside due to incorrect fueling.
There is a DOD filter located underneath the oil pressure sensor, next to the TB neck, (P/N 12585328 ten bucks in Canada, probably two bucks for you guys south)

I use http://www.duralube.com/Galleries/Sm...-SellSheet.pdf put 1 in now and one every oil change. It works and I have used it for many,many years.
On their home page there is even a savings coupon now. Their upper cyl. lubricant works also.

Yes it is extreemly easy to change and No you wont loose any oil, just do not over tighten the sensor when installing.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the filter and oil pressure sensor goes on top or underneath on the oil pan.. ? and would i be able to pick this up at local store.. ?and thanks imma try the cleaner.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the filter is just inside/below the sensor. They are located on top of the engine just next to the throttle body.

Kmart, walmart, auto advance, places like that!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so actually just got done turning a "5 min job" into a three hour job... so i got home tonight from work around midnight and seeing as my guy dropped of the oil pressure sensor earlier and didnt get to put it in before work i decided to do it after work i figured hey its a quick job.. NO.. i was wrong.. well idk if for normal people it is.. but me... couldnt find any tool to undo the sensor to save my life..
finally found a rusty old adjustable wrench and did my best with it as i finally unscrewed it and screwed it back up..had to take off the throttle body,air box,undo part of the engine harness from the clips.. after taken out the air box i decided to throw in the K&N back in since i had taken it out to go in for service a while back.so yea after a long wait car seems to be back to normal except for it seeming a little over accelerated ,think its because it was still kinda cold.took it to the gas station for a quick lil cruise and i got my DOD back so yea just thought id update u guys..so far so good..
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is this the part you replaced to get the DOD back?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=57-0

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem