LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2007 gxp

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gixper
Do you wish your car was a rear wheel drive w/ manual trans???
Yes, and the more power I make the more I miss it. Still love my car, not trading it off any time soon.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmp0098
The turbo kit comes with a shift kit. Did you install it?

No I bought my kit used and it didn’t come with the kit. I did buy the kit from ZZP, but its still in the box. This spring I should be getting a hold of TEP.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian396
No I bought my kit used and it didn’t come with the kit. I did buy the kit from ZZP, but its still in the box. This spring I should be getting a hold of TEP.
Sounds like a good plan. I've wondered if the shift kit by itself would keep the transmission together with the turbo over the long haul. It seems so random as to who has transmission trouble and who doesn't.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a good plan. I've wondered if the shift kit by itself would keep the transmission together with the turbo over the long haul. It seems so random as to who has transmission trouble and who doesn't.
I don't think it's random at all. I think some of us don't beat the **** out of our cars, and when we drive them hard, we know what hurts them and what doesn't. Those of us that take care of our cars don't consistantly do things to them that we know will hurt them. If you look at the literally millions of W bodies that are on the road, I guarantee you the percentage of people that have had serious problems with the 4T65E-HD is low. Of course, when people have problems they're going to bitch about it, as they should, but it makes it "appear" to people that the problems are more common than they are. My 97' GTP has 137k miles on it, it turns 13 years old tomorrow as a matter of fact, and it has been run hard it's whole life. I've done nothing but drop the pan and replace the filter it's whole life, and it's been driven hard (but not abused). I had no issues with my 95' GT (with B4U package), and I had no issues with my 04' CompG, and so far no issues with my 08' GXP.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
I don't think it's random at all. I think some of us don't beat the **** out of our cars, and when we drive them hard, we know what hurts them and what doesn't. Those of us that take care of our cars don't consistantly do things to them that we know will hurt them. If you look at the literally millions of W bodies that are on the road, I guarantee you the percentage of people that have had serious problems with the 4T65E-HD is low. Of course, when people have problems they're going to bitch about it, as they should, but it makes it "appear" to people that the problems are more common than they are. My 97' GTP has 137k miles on it, it turns 13 years old tomorrow as a matter of fact, and it has been run hard it's whole life. I've done nothing but drop the pan and replace the filter it's whole life, and it's been driven hard (but not abused). I had no issues with my 95' GT (with B4U package), and I had no issues with my 04' CompG, and so far no issues with my 08' GXP.
how often are you dropping your pan and changing the filter? also why dont you do a trans flush?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My tuner said that at 6psi I was pushing limit of what the 4T65-HD could handle. However the 1-2 shift is a little slow from time to time. I thinking it maybe on the way out? On a side note only running 6psi sucks, there is so much potential, and boost controller is right there. (must not push the button, the beautiful shinny button, the jolly candy like button)
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My tuner said that at 6psi I was pushing limit of what the 4T65-HD could handle. However the 1-2 shift is a little slow from time to time. I thinking it maybe on the way out? On a side note only running 6psi sucks, there is so much potential, and boost controller is right there. (must not push the button, the beautiful shinny button, the jolly candy like button)
i hope that becomes a problem in my near future lol
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
how often are you dropping your pan and changing the filter? also why dont you do a trans flush?
Derek,

I've dropped the pan twice, cleaned the gunk off the magnet and the bottom of the pan, replaced the filter, and filled it back up with fluid. I am one of those that prescribe to the theory that the flush is hard on the valve body, loosens up stuff that's attached to surfaces inside the tranny, and puts that crap in solution in the fluid that wasn't in solution before the flush. Plus, I feel that adding all brand new aggressive fluid is hard on elastomer seals, etc. By not flushing, you're leaving a small amount of the old fluid to mix with the new fluid and it's not as big of a shock on the seals.

In my 32 years of driving/owning cars, I've only had one transmission fail on me and it was a 94' Chrysler Concorde FWD tranny. I must be doing something right.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
I don't think it's random at all. I think some of us don't beat the **** out of our cars, and when we drive them hard, we know what hurts them and what doesn't. Those of us that take care of our cars don't consistantly do things to them that we know will hurt them. If you look at the literally millions of W bodies that are on the road, I guarantee you the percentage of people that have had serious problems with the 4T65E-HD is low. Of course, when people have problems they're going to bitch about it, as they should, but it makes it "appear" to people that the problems are more common than they are. ...
I agree with you that you have to know how to womp on your car. Extensive power braking will blow the seals, running around in performance mode (no TCC) will overheat the internals, accelerating in a turn is hard on the diff (don't floor it, ride the friction circle!!), etc. I drove a Series I S/C 3800/4T60e combo in a Buick Ultra (3650lbs) to 197k, delivered pizzas in it for 3 years during college, and I only got rid of the car because the undercarriage rust was so bad the unibody was splitting apart. The TCC started having trouble at 120k (I bought it at 111k) but you just had to get on the gas and get it to unlock or get off the gas (I usually chose option 1).

I was more thinking along the lines of it seems random as to which mods/driving styles are hard on the transmission. If Bryan is running 6 lbs. of boost without issues at 50k, then why are people with a CAI having trouble at 20k? I think I may have found the answer in that other thread though, and it seems to be a bad combination of a little extra HP and the stock tune.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

It may be on the way out (I don't know), but I'm betting the reason he told you to hold off at 6psi is because you can snap with input shaft. The shift kit will firm up your shifts and save the clutches, bands and solenoid in the transmission from the extra wear more power brings. The more power you run through the transmission, the more energy that has to be dissipated in the clutches and bands (torque management reduces that energy by cutting engine power during the shift, but cutting spark has it's limits and the kinetic energy of the engine's inertia will always have to be dissapated (higher revs at the shift = more kinetic energy to dissipate)). The first weak link is the input shaft, which will snap with enough of a jerk. The second weak link is the chain, which will also snap. The actual gears in the transmission are really strong and can support a lot of torque.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey Craig what would you say would be a good mileage to do his at?