LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Steering recall on 2006 Monte Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I talked with them and they show the recall open, so I went down there and they are ordering me a new cooler assembly.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn!!!
got my letter today, do we have to pay for this
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

got my letter yesterday too...

read the letter - no, you don't have to pay for it... no charge...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

you dont have to pay for it as long as you bring it in before feb 28th 2011.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i called and it goes in moday morning
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Hey All,

Few quick questions about this recall.

First of all, those receiving the letters, are you the original owners of your car, as of today, I still haven't received the letter and was wondering if it was because I bought my SS used.

Secondly, I had work done two months ago on the power steering lines as there was a substantial leak. I have an extended warranty which I purchased when buying the car as it is an 06 and all original warranties ran out prior to my purchase as it now has 50k miles. The power steering work was all covered except for a $200 deductible. Any chance GM will reimburse me for this?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk if they will reimburse you but its worth a shot. if it was leaking because of the line that is being recalled they should. theres a reimbursement form on the second page so they should reimburse you for it. im the second owner but i bought it at the chevy dealer with 15000 miles on it and i got the letter.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Teching In

I have not recieved a letter. And when I called two nearby dealerships, they told me that I didnt have any recalls. I called GM, and they told me the same thing. Why is my car not recalled.

2006 Monte Carlo SS
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I called GM Customer Service. According to them, it was a customer satisfaction letter that went out. They told me I did not receive one because my car wasn't on their list based on the VIN. They documented my complaint, but said they couldn't do anything for me. I might call my local dealership to see what they have to tell me.

My vehicle is under the VIN list shown from others who received the letter, so I'm confused why mine is not covered.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...ghlight=recall
Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

6:45 AM, Monday morning. I just left the house to go to work and I go to turn off my street. Well, Burnsy (I named my car Mr. Burns... Monte Burns, get it?) starts making all sorts of noise. It sounded kind of like a gurgling hiss-type noise. I pull over to the side of the road and open the hood. I can't see anything so I look under the car, a nice little puddle. So I get back into the car and go to pull a U-turn. Well it wasn't easy. I add up the symptoms and diagnose the problem as an issue with the power steering. I get him home and call the local dealer.

I drive to Christenson Chevrolet and I'm 5th in line for service. The garage door opens at 7:30 AM and we all pull in. I let them take my car and I go take a walk around the lot. Well, I go back inside after about 30 minutes or so and talk to one of the service department managers. He tells me the power steering fluid cooling hose cracked and that's why the blood and life leaked out of Mr. Burns. Well here is a picture of the culprit.

This doesn't look like much, right? Well THIS is what has to be replaced.

The whole hose assembly has to be taken out and replaced. Even though this is a recalled issue, I never got any kind of notification, and the service manager told me Mr. Burns didn't fall into the recall. However, the EXACT same thing that is recalled happened to mine... What the hell gives?!?!

I don't really care that much because I have bumper to bumper coverage until the end of May, but it's the principal of the situation. Maybe if my issue is documented well enough by the dealer GM could expand the recall, because this is obviously a wider problem than they have focused it on.

Well I didn't get him back until 2:00 PM that same day, but he's healthy and running fine.

The end!

P.S. It's weird... The last time I took Burns in for service I saw 3 new Camaros. This time, 2 in the garage getting worked out. What's going on with this first run? Not a good sign at all.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

It took them 3 hours to replace mine when they said it would take 1 and half.

As far as the Camaro, my daddy always told me never to buy the first model year of any car.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that a heat sink on the cooler line???
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Is that a heat sink on the cooler line???
Yes, and supposedly it's bigger than the ones installed currently.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

I did actually get my letter. FINALLY! Kind of pisses me off that it came AFTER I had to go through the hassle. Oh well. I'll save it for my records.

Quick Reply: Steering recall on 2006 Monte Carlo SS