LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Impala SS vs Charger r/t

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why i want my impala to look aggressive but like what else is there to do? i wish there was a GP GXP at the dealer cuz i probably would of got that but then again there is nothing wrong with a sleeper
Old 01-18-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

i would only get a SRT-8 if i were to get a Charger.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the srt8 is bad and so is the charger daytona r/t they are bad too. maybe its the skittle colors
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

there is a guy that lives by me who has a SRT-8 that is all black, wheels, light covers, and badges. and it looks sooooo sick
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bet it does look sick. its a cop that lives by me he has an all black srt8 as well when i say this thick is decked out in black i mean this thing is something serious. i havent seen any car that was blacked out that was a bad looking car anyway
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Hi there,

I thought I would chime in even though I don’t have my ’06 Charger R/T listed in my sig.

Following a T-bone accident where my wife’s Mazda minivan had its entire passenger side caved in when a Nissan Xterra driver blew a red light, I sold my hopped up ’04 LS1 GTO to get a new car of her choice which was a black Hemi Charger R/T with the Road & Track Handling Package and side airbags. She had an SRT wing put on it before taking delivery; later on she asked that I install the front chin spoiler, front grille and the red R/T emblems from a Daytona to get the “all black” look. The net effect was a black Daytona with a graphics/stripe delete package. I have since added a higher flow intake and a factory accessory Hemi Orange faux-carbon fiber engine cover which contrasts very nicely against the black paint. The exhaust is still OEM and I haven’t played with any tuners on the car.

HIGHS:
Tight, solid construction-- 53,000 miles later the car is as tight and rattle free as the day we picked it up. The second week I had my Impala I pulled the headliner down and stuffed a couple of pounds worth of foam into various crevasses to eliminate the rattles. Same for the SS’s rear seatbelt anchors and glovebox, which rattled.

Serene, high speed cruiser-- very stable and effortless at 145 MPH, the Impala feels nervous at that speed.

Dead on reliable. All I’ve done is just regular oil & filter changes, and I run Mobil 1. The Charger’s only dealer visit thus far for a non-scheduled maintenance issue has been for a bad alternator that was caused by a thermostat housing (which is located above the alternator) that began to seep water and drip onto the alternator; the fix was covered under warranty. By way of contrast, I have had my 22,000 mile Impala into the dealer just under a dozen times in the last 2.5 years for front wheel bearing replacement, two ISS shaft replacements, one warped dash (!), one leaking oil pan, three loose door panels, discolored/”etched” exterior door trim on both sides, and eight parking brake adjustments (and no, I don’t leave the e-brake on.)

TIGHT TURNING RADIUS; it blows the SS away.

Great seats with much more lateral support than the SS.

Better gas mileage than the SS, even when I had the SS’s DOD enabled.

The R/T's recommended fuel is 89, not 91. If you are trying to talk your significant other into getting one, this is a really good "But honey..." selling point.

The R/T's auto climate control kicks butt and uses honest-to-gosh *****, not thumbwheels.

5-speed transmission with its “So easy, a caveman can do it” Manumatic feature that clicks off nice tight shifts, almost like a shift kit. And, it’s a standard feature on a Hemi, just as it should be on the SS.

Better looking engine compartment if you leave the engine cover on.

LOWS:
That solid construction and stability comes at a cost: weight-- 4200 lbs. empty on my local public scale. OINK.

If they can put a 6-speed stick into a Challenger which weighs the same, why can’t you order one in a Charger? OY!!

The styling admittedly isn’t for everybody.

The thick C-pillars obstruct the view out the back when backing up and create a huge blind spot when changing lanes.

Visibility is limited due to the short greenhouse and worsens if you decide to tint the windows. Tinting is virtually mandatory since the rear window is so flat; this is especially so if you have a young child buckled into a car seat or carry passengers frequently and you don't want to cook them.

The R/T is not intended for “point and shoot” tactics; its girth, weight & limited visibility demand that you be more deliberate, while the Impala is much more tossable and its actions more immediate.

Needs more bottom end (something that was addressed in later model years, but still…) or a shorter axle ratio like the SRT8s.

Needs a real mechanical posi, not electronic nannies that try to act like one. The ESP cannot be fully defeated in non-SRT8 cars unless you install a $50 electronic widget in the center console that taps into the vehicle’s wiring harness (I got this mod from http://www.noesp.com/ )

Interior dash, console and door panel materials by Rubbermaid, makers of fine 33 gallon trashcans everywhere; this by far is my biggest gripe.

The car is “swift” but not at all what I consider fast; however, my performance envelope is a bit skewed because of owning Turbo Buicks. IMO non-SRT8s are borderline “poseur” cars when painted in the various Day-Glo colors that were offered like BabyBarf Yellow, Retina Searing Red, Phlegm Green or The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Purple.

Hemi Chargers with aftermarket exhaust systems that eliminate the center “suitcase” resonator sound like a$$ when the MDS kicks in, not unlike a Chris Craft missing on three cylinders and idling in a pool of syrup.

THE VERDICT: The Charger is a great value and a keeper. The Impala is decently quick and a great Airport Car, meaning that if I go on a trip and leave it at the airport, I know it’ll still be there when I get back. When it comes time to turn in my Impala later this year I’ll be looking at a used Magnum or a Trailblazer SS with which to tow my small camping trailer.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think in a year or two im gonna get the charger r/t. Bigger aftermarket for these cars and when modded they seem to look and perfrom better
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

If that's the case may I suggest
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yes you may. lol
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Yes you may. lol
haha.... . .. .. . .
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

i mean why not go G8 or CTS-V, they both have pretty decent aftermarkets and out of the box are good performance cars. so why not stay GM¿
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default R/t

Nice write up BuickRacer. One of the differences between the car I purchased and an R/T was the price. My 2006 GXP was $11,900; I couldn't find an R/T even close to that price. What I didn't consider was by the time you put the money into a N2O system, upgrade the transmission and get it tuned.....
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt even think of a G8 or a Caddy CTS-V. But as of right now the prices are too high for my budget especially for the CTS. Where i live i cant find a G8 for under 25,000! Thats too rich for my blood right now especially with bills and school loans. If i could find one for about 15-18k i'll be ok thats why i was gonna go with the charger r/t
Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCoop
I didnt even think of a G8 or a Caddy CTS-V. But as of right now the prices are too high for my budget especially for the CTS. Where i live i cant find a G8 for under 25,000! Thats too rich for my blood right now especially with bills and school loans. If i could find one for about 15-18k i'll be ok thats why i was gonna go with the charger r/t
G8's still have 0% financing for 72months which brings down their final cost by a lot....if you can still find one. It would definitely be the best pick out of the cars talked about here by a far margin.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its probably not goin to be until next year or the year after anyways but i would love to have a G8. They look and sound good too. Might as well just call it a GTO
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
i mean why not go G8 or CTS-V, they both have pretty decent aftermarkets and out of the box are good performance cars. so why not stay GM¿
I'm with this guy.

When the Impala is paid off, I'll be looking to find a CTS-V. Depending if we have more than one child by then, then it might be a truck.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CTS-V are lovely but i cant afford it.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maaaaannnnnn the charger is sooooo damn ugly!! Everytime I see one cruising down the street it reminds me of that Big *** Brown Driod collector on Star Wars!! Shape just the same,....like a big *** ugly boat......
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^^^ LOL. I really dont see why some of you guys think its an ugly car. I think its a decent looking car. Some of the colors i dont really like but for the most part they are aggressive and good looking cars. The Challengers are alright looking cars as well they are just too wide and heavy for me
Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCoop
^^^^^^^ LOL. I really dont see why some of you guys think its an ugly car. I think its a decent looking car. Some of the colors i dont really like but for the most part they are aggressive and good looking cars. The Challengers are alright looking cars as well they are just too wide and heavy for me
They weigh the same. They're the same platform.

Quick Reply: Impala SS vs Charger r/t