LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

my factory nav wont play dvd

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my factory nav wont play dvd

my factory nav wont play dvd and i dont know why i tried playing around with it and nothing...are they spose to be able to? and i have an 06 and it wont play the mp3 cds either i heard you have to do a corvette upgrade? helpfull info appreciated
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the Nav unit say "DVD" or DTS on the lower right-hand corner of the unit?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:46 PM

im not sure right this sec but it says dvd on the 2nd disc slot where u put the nav disc in
Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I've got the same unit...its only formatted to play the GM navi CD's...
Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Factory Nav units have a module that prevents them from playing a movie as this is not legal and can cause the driver to crash. Most after market stereo shops have a $30 - $50 module they can install that will allow the head unit to play dvd movies.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by will01
Factory Nav units have a module that prevents them from playing a movie as this is not legal and can cause the driver to crash. Most after market stereo shops have a $30 - $50 module they can install that will allow the head unit to play dvd movies.
Actually, if it has the DTS logo, it will play movies, but only when the parking brake is engaged. A Coastal Electronics GM Lockpick will remove that restriction so youcan watch while driving...But only IF your stock deck has DVD capability on the non-Nav slot.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our (GXPs) stock NAV only has the "DVD" logo. It does not play DVD video natively.

Head over to the corvette forums for more info.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you take a picture of your navigation screen. was thinkin about upgrading to one.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
can you take a picture of your navigation screen. was thinkin about upgrading to one.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Keep in mind that the unit in the pictures posted by GXP25 won't work in your Monte. You'll need the Nav out of a Tahoe/Yukon, or Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i thought u had a monte for some reason but yea ive been lookin at the ones from like tahoes and stuff. just am not sure if it will work. Has anyone done it on here?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

There's no mechanical difference between the Impala and Monte, so what works on one will work on the other.

I've done the swap, and it's really simple:
  • Get a Nav unit out of one of the cars I mentioned in my previous post. (I have one for sale out of a 2008 Enclave with the $150 map DVD...PM me if interested).
  • Buy a GM Nav antenna
  • Get about 5 feet of wire, a solderless splice, and a small female spade connector. This wire will be used as a jumper from the radio to the car's Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire so that the Nav will update correectly and the voice guidance will work.
  • Pop the radio faceplate off, being careful to unplug the airbag light before pulling too far.
  • Remove the four 7mm screws securing the radio and pull it out part way.
  • Unplug the two connectors in the back.
  • Mount the Nav antenna. Since you have a Monte, I'm sure where you can snake it, but you want to get it as close to the top of the dash as possible, preferably, the underside of the dash pad. If you're in a hurry, you can just have it stick out of from the radio faceplate, like I did for a while, but that looks ghetto.
  • Plug the antenna into the single wire conncetor on the lower right-hand corner of the Nav unit.
  • Attach the 5 foot wire to the spade connector and plug it into pin 4 in connector of the Nav Radio (far right when looking at it from the back). You may want to cover or wrap the outer part of the spade connector before sliding it on, so as to not short against another pin. This little trick will save the $60 most other people pay forthis conversion. Fish the other end of the wire out behind the Nav radio to the driver-side footwell
  • Plug the two main car harnesses into the back of the Nav Radio. The connectors are keyed and will only fit one slot, so you can't get it wrong.
  • Reinstall the radio by reversing the above removal procedure.
  • Pop the hood.
  • From the inside, find a grommet in the firewall (preferably on the driver side) and run the green wire through it. Once you've got it through, go around and look uner the hood for the grommet with wire sticking though it. Pull the wire up to the driver-side shock tower.
  • Locate the two connectors mounted next to the shock-tower.
  • Using the splice, connect your 5 foot wire to pin E (brown wire on upper far-left) of the inner (or left connector). I've attached a picture for reference:
  • Your radio is now installed.
  • Now you'll have to take it to the dealer or have access to a Tech-2 device and TIS programs to accomplish the programming/learning procedure.
    With Tech-2 connected to the vehicle go to the Service Programming mode and select "get vehicle information” and follow the prompts to download the module info into Tech-2.
    Now disconnect Tech-2 and connect it to the Techline TIS computer and enter SPS menu select "radio” and then it will ask you a few questions regarding the radio, amp rear camera, etc, the only tricky one is make sure to select "w/o Y91 option the 2 times it asks and also select "region 1 NTSC” when you get to that screen; when done in the menu download the programming and then connect Tech-2 back up and install the software when done turn ignition off , unplug Tech-2 and wait at least 30 seconds to turn the key back on and your done.
I probably left out some minoir details, but you if you followed the above instructions, your Nav unit should now work.
This whole process should probably take an hour, not counting the trip to the dealership.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Here ya go!

I still need to remiunt my antenna, which is why you can see it in one of the pics.

I know this is off-topic, but here's how a dirty 2006 Impala looks when it has '63 SS badges and a '54 Chevy script emblem:

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 03-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Teching In

LS1,

This is exactly what I've been looking to do!! I've done the same thing on a Suburban. I replaced the standard cd radio with the nav unit.
Do you recall the model number of the radio you installed?

Will this one do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEVY-GMC-GM-DVD...item19baaa0c4a
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by q-bert
LS1,

This is exactly what I've been looking to do!! I've done the same thing on a Suburban. I replaced the standard cd radio with the nav unit.
Do you recall the model number of the radio you installed?

Will this one do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEVY-GMC-GM-DVD...item19baaa0c4a
Actually, the unit in the auction is a Chinese replacement knock-off. It's not a factory unit and will require additional adaptors to keep your steering wheel controls and OnStar.

I have a unit for sale, if you're interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...-retrofit.html
Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I just noticed it requires Bose. What's the RPO code for Bose?
I'd like to check if my Impala has Bose before I buy something.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by q-bert
I just noticed it requires Bose. What's the RPO code for Bose?
I'd like to check if my Impala has Bose before I buy something.

Thanks.
UQ3 is the RPO code.

Quick Reply: my factory nav wont play dvd