Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My New favorite cam
216/220 283/286 560/.560 114 L/S
Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that i am the only person who has dyno proof of doing a cam swap I feel that i am qualified to answer this question.
I have put a ls6 02+ cam in my car which is about the specs of the cam that you were looking to put in. I gained nothing from that cam and it was a complete waste of money.
However when i put in my current cam, i started to gain power. My car still idles perfectly and i could even still run dod on it if i put the lifters back in.

Our cars NEED a large cam to start gaining power, otherwise dont waste your money, you wont see any gains.
Just my two cents, take my several dyno graphs for what they are worth.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
Being that i am the only person who has dyno proof of doing a cam swap I feel that i am qualified to answer this question.
I have put a ls6 02+ cam in my car which is about the specs of the cam that you were looking to put in. I gained nothing from that cam and it was a complete waste of money.
However when i put in my current cam, i started to gain power. My car still idles perfectly and i could even still run dod on it if i put the lifters back in.

Our cars NEED a large cam to start gaining power, otherwise dont waste your money, you wont see any gains.
Just my two cents, take my several dyno graphs for what they are worth.

*Large* by whose standards? It's pretty common knowledge in the LSx world that it's extremely easy to over cam a small CID LS motor. It'd be a different story if we had a 6.0L bore with a 4.8L crank...but we have a tiny bore with a regular stroke. I'm not an expert by any means, and you do have more experience on this subject, but couldn't there be other factors in your original setup that account for the minimal gains?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats kinda funny
Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well considering i didnt change anything besides putting on headers, i would say the jump from ls6 to my current cam was significant vs the like 10hp i gained on the ls6.
While it is common knowledge that you can over-cam a car. No one has explored this on a LS4. I believe i have the largest cam on this board and also the largest hp and tq. But correct me if i am wrong. I just think that no one else has put down actual dyno numbers to prove my theory wrong. And by large cam, i mean as big as i have gone or bigger.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default cam

I prob know less about cams then everyone here but I do hope to have my dyno numbers within 30 days.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Well considering i didnt change anything besides putting on headers, i would say the jump from ls6 to my current cam was significant vs the like 10hp i gained on the ls6.
While it is common knowledge that you can over-cam a car. No one has explored this on a LS4. I believe i have the largest cam on this board and also the largest hp and tq. But correct me if i am wrong. I just think that no one else has put down actual dyno numbers to prove my theory wrong. And by large cam, i mean as big as i have gone or bigger.
There's absolutely zero difference in our motor with a ls1/6 intake and the vortec iron block motors with the same heads/intake. The truck guys have done cam swaps a thousand times. Most of them, and most professional builders, base their cam specs off of the LS6 cam (for both motors). For all we know, stock heads and the LS6 cam might have made better numbers than your current setup. We have no way of knowing either way and it's really hard for the rest of us to base assumptions off of one build. I hate it that a lot of us are the guinnea pigs in all of this. The whole situation is screwed up. I just feel we have a whole lot to learn from the truck guys.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Cough cough cough TR224 on a 114 lsa, that's what I've been preaching all this time and people on this board said it was "too big." There it is, making power.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Cough cough cough TR224 on a 114 lsa, that's what I've been preaching all this time and people on this board said it was "too big." There it is, making power.
the ls6 cam that two other people on this board have tried has been unsuccessful. Sittingmongoose was sitting at 315 after the ls6 intake manifold swap without tuning. The ls6 cam is for a 5.7l motor with 10.5:1 cr, manual trans and and a 6500 rpm shift point. Peak torque occurred at 4400rpm. In order to make that cam work well in a 5.3 we would need to bump our compression ratio up .5 free up our intake, change our converter 2200 and use 3.29 gears or better. The best solution would be to advance the ls6 cam 4-6 degrees but this would make the cam act smaller. The tr224 is even bigger (6700-7000K max rpm) so i would recommend 10.5-11.0 cr a ls6 intake, 3" intake piping ( filter, maf and tubing) headers with 3" exhaust, 3000 stall and 3.69 gears. I know mix made power but he is not optimized yet. I would like to see some intake swap results. Bigger is not always better. Rember we only have a 3.78" bore with a big 3.62" stroke. Spinning this motor past 6000 doesn't make much since to me cause of the stroke. Not saying that we won't make power. I just don't know how usable it would be. Generally small bore motors love rpm but they don't have the huge stroke that we do.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 09-27-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

I actually lost compression from my engine rebuild. That was because the pistons were angled in more. So that screws stuff a little.

Quick Reply: Question for you cam guroos...........