LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

H/D Chin Spoiler for the GXP! Pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very creative i like it... might consider it when im itching to do something to the car on the cheap.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went to get my HD lip and tape. Smallest pack they had was 16 feet. How many feet do you actually need? Well regardless can't wait to get it on. Thanks jeff
Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by plmrass
Just went to get my HD lip and tape. Smallest pack they had was 16 feet. How many feet do you actually need? Well regardless can't wait to get it on. Thanks jeff
im sure its only 5 feet tops that you really need.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Sorry for bringing back this thread but wondering how far up towards the front of the bumper everyone is going? or are you guys just following the inner edge of the bumper? Just picked up the stuff to get it done and doing a transmission fluid change at the same time.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SigmaX6
Sorry for bringing back this thread but wondering how far up towards the front of the bumper everyone is going? or are you guys just following the inner edge of the bumper? Just picked up the stuff to get it done and doing a transmission fluid change at the same time.
whn you look under the bumper you will see a line/lip that I followed that goes all the way across.

sorry for the late response but hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

I put mine on the other day and have to say that I love it. I should have maybe cut the tape down a little narrower cause you can see it a little bit but other then that it looks awesome.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea..i noticed that myself. but its only at certain angles and real close.

But yea..

Post up pics!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright....So I bought all the material to do this today, and as I was putting the 3m tape on the "lip" I said to myself "this tape will never stick". So after I laid the tape on and let it sit for a bit, I was right it didn't stick. So I dropped damn near $10 on tape that was a waste lol. IDK if you guys live in a hot and humid climate, but my bet is that it won't stick for a real long time. IDK if you guys are having problems with this or not, but I have to think of another, more permanent way of making this stick. Any suggestions????
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I did it in sections. and did not let it sit. But from past experience this type of tape is one you need to adhere right away and not let dry out.

I took some out I left over and did what you did and yes it dries out. Do not let it sit. Do it in sections right away and it will hold.

This tape holds the spoiler up to a high pressure of a car wash high pressure wash gun.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
well I did it in sections. and did not let it sit. But from past experience this type of tape is one you need to adhere right away and not let dry out.

I took some out I left over and did what you did and yes it dries out. Do not let it sit. Do it in sections right away and it will hold.

This tape holds the spoiler up to a high pressure of a car wash high pressure wash gun.
IDK if you know what I'm saying lol. I stuck the tape on the chin, but did not expose the other side of the tape. I can see what you are saying tho because of course if you let the glue dry out, it's not going to stick
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know what else I wanted to say LOL. The tape stuck fine to the car, but not on the lip. After getting half way done, the tape was falling off the lip and staying stuck to the car. Trying to get the tape off the car was a whole other story HAHA
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
I have to think of another, more permanent way of making this stick.
I GOT IT.......Self Taping screws . Yeah I did it today because tomorrow I have to go in for knee surgery.

I didn't put mine as far up the bumper as Z28's or Mikes (MPealge), and you need to stand back a foot to see it. But that's how I wanted it because it's my little secret HAHA
Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cleaned the lip with rubbing alchohol (let it dry) and then stuck the tape to the rubber lip then went around the front end. I used a little plastic roller and rolled it on all the way around the bumper. I followed the line Dave was talking about and it is still stuck on there. I have had no issues so far. Self-tapping screws would work too. lol...

-Mike
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry your having such a hard time with this. That 3M tape is really easy to use. ANd everything should of stuck fine?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Launching!

I think the secret to getting the rubber to stick to the tape is to clean it, wipe it with alcohol or similar substance, wax and silicone remover would be excellent. The rubber probably is coated with mold release agent from the manufacturing process, a non stick substance that allows it to easily come out of the mold at the factory. Secret to getting tape to stick well, is clean ,clean surface, free of dirt, and invisible chemicals , waxes, silicone etc.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
I cleaned the lip with rubbing alchohol (let it dry) and then stuck the tape to the rubber lip then went around the front end. I used a little plastic roller and rolled it on all the way around the bumper. I followed the line Dave was talking about and it is still stuck on there. I have had no issues so far. Self-tapping screws would work too. lol...

-Mike
im not sure how much of a lip you have to hold it on there (where u would put the self tapping screws) but you could find a small washer to fit with the self tapping scews so it holds down better because i could see it slipping over the screw.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Launching!

thnks for responding mine had alil problem sticking but no biggie just kept cleaning and using lil pieces at a time.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used simple green to clean it off first. then rubbing alchohol to get everything off it and let it dry. DO both the rubber and the bumper. then they fit on like no problem.

Were here to help if anyone else has a problem.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

I know this is very old but just found this and bought the materials for it only problrm is do i habe to let the rubber sit out so it can straighten out since it is all bended
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

i like it, as cheesy as it is it looks good. adding this to the list of exterior items ill soon be doing.

Quick Reply: H/D Chin Spoiler for the GXP! Pic heavy!