LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Another LS4 with Trans Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Another LS4 with Trans Problems?

Alright,

My wife comes home last night after her 94 mile drive home, which includes about 35 miles of uphill on the I5 Grapevine. She tells me that it seemed like the car was hunting for gears more than usual.

So, I drive it down to work today, and noticed a few things:

Driving 65 or so on flat, level road, it seemed like the torque converter was locking and unlocking quite a bit, with no good reason. This was with the cruise control set. It actually seemed worse when I wasn't in cruise. If I continued to drive at a constant speed, it seemed to settle down, but if I went to increase speed in slight increments, it would start doing it again.

Also, it appears that the trans temperature is about 10-15 degrees warmer than usual in all driving modes.

Has anyone seen these exact symptoms? And if so, how long did the trans last after the onset of those symptoms?

The car has an appointment at the dealer tomorrow monrning, but I'm curious as to what the problem is, how long we've got.

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 04-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is it's a torque converter starting to go bad. If the dealer replaces the trans. make them replace the TC too. Good luck.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
My guess is it's a torque converter starting to go bad. If the dealer replaces the trans. make them replace the TC too. Good luck.

-Mike
Thanks, Mike.

I saw what you had said in past threads, and thought this to be the case!

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 04-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Mine is doing the same thing. I started to notice this about 5 months ago. I can see the tach move/jump a little bit and I can feel the car "pulse". I Don't feel or see anything when driving the car aggressively though. I've got 52,270 miles on it, so I'm sure it's on the way out. Is there anything that can be done to extend the life, or better yet, fix this?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Donk's SS
Mine is doing the same thing. I started to notice this about 5 months ago. I can see the tach move/jump a little bit and I can feel the car "pulse". I Don't feel or see anything when driving the car aggressively though. I've got 52,270 miles on it, so I'm sure it's on the way out. Is there anything that can be done to extend the life, or better yet, fix this?
I'm at 62,000 now. You've described exactly what I'm seeing. I've already got a mobilehome-sized trans cooler on mine, and I recommend all LS4 owners to do the same. That's about the only thing I know that can extend the life of a tranny,especially a weak stocker like we have.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

To replace the TC you need to pull the trans. out. That is really the only way to fix it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If it makes you guys feel better I am on my 2nd rebuild.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

To replace the TC you need to pull the trans. out. That is really the only way to fix it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

-Mike
Sucks...But I'm glad that I'm still under warranty!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

no warranty.. arghh. If it's just the TC, I wouldn't need to do anything to the transmission? Looking for cheap, since I have large box from doug thorley sitting in my garage.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds a lot like what happened to mine, early last month. When taking off from a stop, I could feel a "pulse" (excellent way to describe that, by the way) through the car. Couple days later, I was driving my car during my work shift, and the engine started revving WAY too high. Then, the transmission wouldn't shift out of first. I had to limp the car almost 10 miles with one gear in the transmission.

The COD for my transmission was lack of fluid, caused by a leaking line. I didn't see any puddles, so I was taken by surprise. Because of my extended warranty, I got it replaced. Fixing that, and the ISS, and giving me another key fob (which did NOT solve the remote range issue), took them 29 days. Hopefully yours won't take that long.

On another note, LS1Racing, I am planning to slap on a transmission fluid cooler, and soon. I was told way back that the higher the GVWR is on the cooler, the better. I had a cooler with something like a 30000 lb GVWR on my '93 Lightning. I'll be getting the same type thing for my car.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by westtexastiger
Sounds a lot like what happened to mine, early last month. When taking off from a stop, I could feel a "pulse" (excellent way to describe that, by the way) through the car. Couple days later, I was driving my car during my work shift, and the engine started revving WAY too high. Then, the transmission wouldn't shift out of first. I had to limp the car almost 10 miles with one gear in the transmission.

The COD for my transmission was lack of fluid, caused by a leaking line. I didn't see any puddles, so I was taken by surprise. Because of my extended warranty, I got it replaced. Fixing that, and the ISS, and giving me another key fob (which did NOT solve the remote range issue), took them 29 days. Hopefully yours won't take that long.

On another note, LS1Racing, I am planning to slap on a transmission fluid cooler, and soon. I was told way back that the higher the GVWR is on the cooler, the better. I had a cooler with something like a 30000 lb GVWR on my '93 Lightning. I'll be getting the same type thing for my car.
Your "to be fixed" list sounds a lot like ours when we first bought the car.

As for the trans cooler, buy the biggest one that will fit. Mgpeagle and I have the same Imperial cooler (though he runs two of them!) and they're really effective at keeping temps down.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 2 coolers and my temps still can get to about 221. I have a bad TC in my car as we speak. Word of advice...Do not buy a PATC TC. The one I purchased was bad right off the rip. Made my trans. temps get to 244* on the way home from getting my 1st rebuild. I put 2 coolers on to nurse it until I could afford to get it fixed. It it still in the car but coming out (trans. & TC) within the next 3 weeks or so. I am also putting the headers on at the same time. I got a fresh rebuild from TEP coming along with a new TC to go into the car. Believe me, I feel your pain X 2...

-Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I'm at 62,000 now. You've described exactly what I'm seeing. I've already got a mobilehome-sized trans cooler on mine, and I recommend all LS4 owners to do the same. That's about the only thing I know that can extend the life of a tranny,especially a weak stocker like we have.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THAT TRANNY COOLER...IVE SEARCHED AND ALL I CAN FIND ARE HOSES
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here it is.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPCOOLAMS____

-Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 PM

thanx
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

-Mike
Jesus Christ, that sucks big time. Maybe Ed Whittacre will buy the next one.

I have 2 coolers and my temps still can get to about 221. I have a bad TC in my car as we speak. Word of advice...Do not buy a PATC TC. The one I purchased was bad right off the rip. Made my trans. temps get to 244* on the way home from getting my 1st rebuild. I put 2 coolers on to nurse it until I could afford to get it fixed. It it still in the car but coming out (trans. & TC) within the next 3 weeks or so. I am also putting the headers on at the same time. I got a fresh rebuild from TEP coming along with a new TC to go into the car. Believe me, I feel your pain X 2...

-Mike
Holy ****. I don't think I've seen 200 yet, but I bought my car in November and it hasn't seen warm weather yet.

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Your "to be fixed" list sounds a lot like ours when we first bought the car.

As for the trans cooler, buy the biggest one that will fit. Mgpeagle and I have the same Imperial cooler (though he runs two of them!) and they're really effective at keeping temps down.
Guess I better start shopping.

Has anyone here tried BG products? Lifetime trannie warranty? Worth a damn?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

WSC,

No problem on the link. Glad I could help.

Hairy Extinct Man,

I hope I do not see even close to 200* after the new trans. goes in. I will be taking all the good parts out of the old trans. like the 15/16" single chain(3.29's), ZZP Hardened Input Shaft, or just selling the whole thing and let them deal with taking it all out. It sucks but what can you do? I just want to get it completed so I can enjoy the car again.

-Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

WSC,

No problem on the link. Glad I could help.

Hairy Extinct Man,

I hope I do not see even close to 200* after the new trans. goes in. I will be taking all the good parts out of the old trans. like the 15/16" single chain(3.29's), ZZP Hardened Input Shaft, or just selling the whole thing and let them deal with taking it all out. It sucks but what can you do? I just want to get it completed so I can enjoy the car again.

-Mike
LMAO haha , im gonna do a tranny cooler for sure this spring!!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Hairy Extinct Man,
Just those 3 words made me laugh my *** off.

Mike, that picture on the link looks to me like they're including the installation kit. Is that true? I bought a Permacool fluid cooler from Summit Racing for the '93 Lightning I used to own, and that one didn't include the installation kit. If this one does include the kit, you can bet I will be buying that cooler for my Impala SS soon.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I could make you guys laugh. And with that, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I have been know to have quite the dry sense of humor.

Yes, it does include the installation kit. I did however purchase a few feet more tubing since I run two of them. I have them hooked up in series and they do not go through the radiator. I pushed the plastic pins through the radiator and condensor starting at the fans and pushing them toward the bumper. It's easier to cut the ends off this way.

The Imperial kit is a great kit and is very inexpensive. The cooler itself is made for Imperial by Hayden.

-Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I wish I remembered what I paid. I wanna say $90 for the cooler and like $10 for the installation kit. This one is way cheaper.

Quick Reply: Another LS4 with Trans Problems?