LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Audio/Speaker choices for 06 Monte SS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio/Speaker choices for 06 Monte SS?

I saw the factory navigation head unit conversion for the Monte, but it sounds like it may be on the expensive side for all necessary components...

I would not even mind keeping the stock head unit with XM, but really try to improve on the speakers. I've read that the rears can't be replaced because they are wired in with the rear amp(?)...what about the fronts? Any options there? I'd appreciate any input...thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked back there and seen no amp and I remember when I traded the 03 for this 07, I noticed no amp! But I would think that you can take out the rears! Its just all about you installing them correctly!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car has an amp. its mounted under the rear deck between the two speakers.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Have u ever considered the aftermarket factory look radio by Rosen Entertainment???? They go for 1000 on ebay and every thing is plug and play. This is the one im going to be ordering soon.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_135GM07....html?tp=20212

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get some MB Quarts 6x9 in the rear and some 6.5 componets for the front,hookup an 10in bass tube and have it run thru a JL 5 channel and a cleansweep(to keep stock HU).You'll have your boom,with out all the weight and less trunk rattle...
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

focal was the best sound I ever had. they were clear and loud enough to be too loud in my c70 hpt VERT with the top down
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Can the factory rear 6x9" and front 5.5"/6.5" be replaced while having the factory head unit and amp under rear deck? I still don't really have a clear answer on this. Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Mine has a little amp as well under and in between the rear speakers..

I think my 01 had the same one..well they look exactly the same lol
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

you could copy my setup and get some Focal mids and highs. They can be expensive, but they are worth every penny. My system sounds awesome and does not rattle. People are always in awe by how loud and clean sounding everything is. But once again, I spend a chunk of change on it.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
Can the factory rear 6x9" and front 5.5"/6.5" be replaced while having the factory head unit and amp under rear deck? I still don't really have a clear answer on this. Thanks
Yes they can. I have Infinity 6X9's in my Impala still using the stock amp and stock head unit. It makes a big difference. Now on the flip side my Dad has an '09 Impala (LTZ, but same sound system). He bought his car used and it has an aftermarket head unit (JVC touch screen nav) but has stock speakers and amp. It distorts the speakers really, really bad when turned up too loud. The reason is because the JVC sound quality is considerably better than the stock head unit. And even though he has no idea how to use the navigation, and he only uses the radio, he will not trade me head units.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

The issues with the rear 6x9s are that the speaker has two wire harnesses from the factory amp. One is for the full range cone, bass/mid/high and the second is for the mid/high tweeter. The second issue with the factory setup is bass attenuation: as the volume goes up the bass is reduced to avoid blowing the speakers. Hence the possible desire to add on a JL CleanSweep before an aftermarket amp. I have looked and it is possilbe to wire in an aftermarket amp at the stock location. You just have to cut the factory harnesses or find/make adapters or splice into the signal wires before the harness.

Last edited by heavyft; 04-02-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Launching!

dude in my opinion ... youre probably better off doing the whole thing at once ...

i tried to start with just the speakers ... and it sounded like **** ... ABSOLUTE **** ... so then i swapped out the head unit, ditched the stock amp, and ran new wires to the previously installed speakers and it sounded fantastic ... but there was no bass ... so about a week or two later i added a 12 inch on 300 watts at 4 ohms ... and my system sounds perfect ... twice as loud as stock, hits like a gorilla and clearer than **** ...

and it only cost right around 1000 dollars not counting my sweat equity

trust me when i say that unless you have no intention of eventually doing the whole thing ... leave the stock speakers alone and try a new headunit first ...

Quick Reply: Audio/Speaker choices for 06 Monte SS?