LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Who here has the headers whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok is there a way I can keep the cat in place?? My last car I took the cat out and kinda got tired of the smell. Just take it somewhere and have him make a small downpipe for it?? Im assuming an aftermarket dp would be too big also correct?? Even ones with a hf cat on it wouldnt fit taking out the old cat and attaching to the catback?? Anyone know if I have any options. Thanks Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by plmrass
Ok is there a way I can keep the cat in place?? My last car I took the cat out and kinda got tired of the smell. Just take it somewhere and have him make a small downpipe for it?? Im assuming an aftermarket dp would be too big also correct?? Even ones with a hf cat on it wouldnt fit taking out the old cat and attaching to the catback?? Anyone know if I have any options. Thanks Jeff
The thorley headers have down pipe..its part of the rear "y" pipe. The end/bottom of the rear header pipe connects to the stock cat.... take out the cat and cut off the top part of the cat and leave 2 or 3"'s of pipe to connect the header down pipe to. I have posted photos last week of my car. Your cat would go where my test pipe is in the photo.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by plmrass
And if the exhaust is done correctly..you should be getting much smell in the car...once in awhile a get a whiff from the rear...i like it
Old 05-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

I guess what I really wanna know is, how much room is left between the cat and the flange from the header dp?? Is there enough room for a piece of pipe with a flange on one end and a weld to weld to the cat on the other?? Thanks Jeff
Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Teching In

one flange on the end of the header and one flange on the end of the cat...bolt them together. The other end of the cat already has flange from the factory, where it bolts to the resonator. There is no need for extra pipe between the cat and header... did you see my photos of the header/cat connection in the post from a week or so ago...look at your car...look at the photo
Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ahh I gotcha I'll look for your pics thanks jeff
Old 05-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Sorry to invade your forum guys, but I have a toyota tacoma and installed a set of doug thorley shorty headers. I have been having the SAME whistling noise as all of your and I really dont know what it could be. I installed brand new headers gaskets, egr flange gaskets you name it. I get this annoying whistling noise when the engine is under load, if I am at idle it is completely gone. I will be doing some more research but just thought it might be because of the header design if all of you are experiencing the same whistle??
Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troopa4life
Sorry to invade your forum guys, but I have a toyota tacoma and installed a set of doug thorley shorty headers. I have been having the SAME whistling noise as all of your and I really dont know what it could be. I installed brand new headers gaskets, egr flange gaskets you name it. I get this annoying whistling noise when the engine is under load, if I am at idle it is completely gone. I will be doing some more research but just thought it might be because of the header design if all of you are experiencing the same whistle??
Its our flex pipes, I'm replacing mine soon.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

would wrapping the crossover and flex help with the whistle?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2005gxp
would wrapping the crossover and flex help with the whistle?
It does but its not recommeded, just off buying a new flex pipe.

Thorley header whistling fixed(5.3L, 08 gxp)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fix was a high quality 6" flex coupling from "Vibrant Performance" part #45666(turbo flex coupling), which has no nipples. The turbo flex coupling has an addtitional liner for high flow or super charged vehicles. The correct way to weld the flex is a "butt" weld. The flex coupling must be welded in straight without resistance on the flex. The flex coupling from Thorley is a $15 or $20 part and the one from Vibrant is $45msrp. The job took 4.5 hrs to remove "y"section, cut out old flex, weld in new flex, replace 3" of pipe(stainless) to top of flex, where it connects to the crossover and reinstall upgraded "y"pipe.
The car sounds great now
If anyone needs help with this please feel free to email me khurley@blackwave.tv.
I will post pictures and a video of the exhaust on you tube.
Follow-up post later to explain how i did the second part of the exhaust(cat).
Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why exactly are "we" fixing this problem?

Shouldn't this thread be sent to Thorley so that they can make the appropriate fix? Free of charge.

Last edited by GXP25; 05-23-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GXP25
Why exactly are "we" fixing this problem?

Shouldn't this thread be sent to Thorley so that they can make the appropriate fix? Free of charge.
x2, someone should contact dt and see what they say about it, maby we could even get the entire dp section from them with an updated flex
Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

im hoping that dt will fix this before i purchase a set from them
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Back from the dead!!!!

Hurley/William

Who did you guys order the flex from? I was trying to order it direct but i cant find an order sheet. I just don't want to order it from a local shop on there site and them charge me out the A**.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine on vacation in Edmonton Alberta at a parts store.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by williamGT
I bought mine on vacation in Edmonton Alberta at a parts store.
looks like ImpSS07 is gonna have to drive to alberta for a flex pipe, only 2300 miles
Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
looks like ImpSS07 is gonna have to drive to alberta for a flex pipe, only 2300 miles
Hahaha.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Essentially, I'm replacing the flex with a new pacesetter section from summit and having a header flange welded to the end. Then I'm having the ceramic coating redone by a local shop here in Indy. It should look like the day I opened the box, except it hopefully won't whistle and I won't have to weld to the header itself.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just wrapped the flex for the time being. Still whistles a little but I got used to it. I was asked the other day if I had a turbo on it from some young kid. lol... Boy, do I wish... Good luck and let us know the results.

-Mike
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
I just wrapped the flex for the time being. Still whistles a little but I got used to it. I was asked the other day if I had a turbo on it from some young kid. lol... Boy, do I wish... Good luck and let us know the results.

-Mike
you should have told the young kid "yeah it does, its one of the new flex pipe turbo's they just came out with."

Quick Reply: Who here has the headers whistle?