LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hp tuners, 06 LS4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd add shift mph to the list. I get only get consistent shifting when the RPM and mph agree.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

got the 2.23 version of hp tuners today, droped shift time to .130 shift perfectly.

I was also just wondering what sort of advance everyone is getting at WOT, I am getting some pretty high numbers with no KR my 02's are in the 900-910 range
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

the LS4's I've tuned had some pretty high timing, up to 30 degrees. I'm not sure why GM did that but that just seams too high to me. Tuning based off narrow band O2 voltage is a no no, however that does sound a little rich. You should just get your trims dialed in the best you can by tuning your maf or toss a wideband on there.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Teching In

yeah I know what you mean ive got 31 degrees with no kr, I know what you mean about tuning fuel off the 02, just wondering what ppl are getting I figured 920-930 would be a little better. maf is dialed in. my only issue now is a spike of 2 degrees kr when dod kicks in or out at low rpm. another thing is when I let off the throttle while cruising the rpms drop to about 500 then pick right back up to about 750-800 where they should be. kind of like something is cutting fuel as I let off.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Mine's only taking 26 or so. Should I look into another tuner?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I confirmed this with Chris at HPT. The ECM commands maximum shift pressure when the MAF fails, but you can turn that "feature" off... Seems GM really wants to provide an incentive to bring the vehicle in for MAF servicing
It's not just the MAF though. It's also the MAP, Engine Speed Sensor, etc. Anything that causes the torque estimate to be invalid. The lookup table it defaults to is a shift pressure vs. pedal position table. I tweaked mine to be 10psi at 0% throttle and 87psi at 80% throttle, with linear interpolation in between, when I was having MAP issues after the cam swap. I've since put it back to stock. I don't know why it isn't a less aggressive table in stock trim, other than I'm sure that max pressure is the only way to garauntee transmission integrity.

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Mine's only taking 26 or so. Should I look into another tuner?
Probably not. I was just looking into this. Most stockish LS6 engines don't gain any torque after 22 degrees because of the quick burn combustion chamber design. I haven't seen a tuned LS6 with more than 28 degrees of timing. Since our bore is smaller, our engines probably need even a little less timing for the same amount of cylinder filling because the flame front should reach the edges a fraction sooner. Conversly, our cylinders don't fill as well as the LS6's do, so our charge is not as dense. A less dense charge needs more advance. Just check out the shape of the stock tables, and you'll see that as cylinder filling decreases (g/cyl) that spark advance increases, all the way to 40 degrees for light throttle (even at 1500RPM). So, I think our engines run more advance than other LS engines because they don't pump as much air as other LS engines. The same phenomenom is why most engines like less spark around the torque peak, where the engine is filling with the most air it can. It's also why forced induction engines have to run a fraction of the advance that N/A engines do, and why you have to pull spark with N20. You are obviously trying to avoid detonation and the dreaded pre-ignition too, but it's all interrelated.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Following along with that....

I see up to 37.5* during WOT @ 6000 RPM. A bit more than stock timing, but not much.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Following along with that....

I see up to 37.5* during WOT @ 6000 RPM. A bit more than stock timing, but not much.

you might wanna back that off.....
Old 07-16-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the beta this morning. Does anyone know what the "pattern A,B,X,Y,Z" designates in the trans tables.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

each pattern has a different shift pressure, time, TCC control, etc. You can select a pattern for each driving situation. It's so you can have a different setting of parameters for normal vs tap shift.

For example, since normal mode is set for pattern X, everything associated with pattern X is going to effect normal mode. If you change normal mode to use pattern Y, now it will use all the tables associated with pattern Y. I don't recommend changing them, neither does hptuners. Instead, you should leave them alone and just change the parameters under X for normal mode and parameters under Y for tap shift.

As far as A and B pattern goes, I don't know.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks, I see it now.
Shift properties
Shift Pattern Type
Pattern A = Cruise
Pattern B = Normal
Both have several different options.
HP recommends not changing these either.Since I'm asking Questions do you know the diffrence between cruise & normal?

Quick Reply: hp tuners, 06 LS4