LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hp tuners, 06 LS4

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp tuners, 06 LS4

just wondering if theres any info on tuning with hp tuners I cant seem to find much good info, I am new to this board so I may just be completly missing it. I am basically using what I know about tuning ls1's but theres some weird things inside the LS4 pcm, any help on the specific tables would be excellent.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

It work just fine.

And welcome to the board!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you looking for?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

you'll find the LS4 tune is WAAAY more aggressive than any LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6 etc tune. You shouldn't have too hard a time figuring it out. If you have any questions let us know.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Teching In

thanks for the welcome, well to be honest I only know the basics when it comes to ls1 tuning, fist question whats with the max engine torque vs rpm vs gear there all 6046 but first gear is 300 or something, I realize the theory behind this but anyone want to share what value they have been using, another thing is I cant seem to find anything about shift speed, as in the quickness of the shift. im sure I will think of more. please bear with me here as im just getting used to the ls4
Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bill06ss
thanks for the welcome, well to be honest I only know the basics when it comes to ls1 tuning, fist question whats with the max engine torque vs rpm vs gear there all 6046 but first gear is 300 or something, I realize the theory behind this but anyone want to share what value they have been using,
just one of many torque management settings - I use 6046

another thing is I cant seem to find anything about shift speed, as in the quickness of the shift. im sure I will think of more. please bear with me here as im just getting used to the ls4
Shift speed is controlled by the "shift pressure" and "force motor current" tables. I haven't played with the second one, but increasing the line pressure speeds up and firms up the shifts. Go too high and downshifts, especially 2->1 feels like you ran into something. Unless you override it, the tune commands max line pressure when the maf fails. Probably GMs way of forcing you to bring your car in for servicing.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Teching In

thats for the help I was thinking that was just some torque managment thing. that sucks theres no table for shift speed. im used to maxing the line pressure(which ive done) and setting a nice quick shift time like .100 instead of .400 or whatever stock is. I'm still trying to figure out the force motor current thing and the best way to adjust it. got good shifts but just not as firm and quick as im looking for.

trying to get all the basics out of the way first. just got the car (06 impala SS) it needs some basic maint, like plugs wires, im getting a p0420 code too so im going to check into that.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have my laptop in front of me this second but I coulda swore you can change the shift time on the LS4 cars.

EDIT: I'm looking at my laptop and I see it right here. It's under trans->shift properties->desired shift time pattern. Check out the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails hp tuners, 06 LS4-trans.jpg  

Last edited by JDMC5; 05-18-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Teching In

hmm thats strange my trans page looks alot different then that. I dont have a few of those tables. maybe I need to update hp tuners or something? the view is set to advanced so it should show up, thats confusing although im sure its something I messed up.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDMC5
I don't have my laptop in front of me this second but I coulda swore you can change the shift time on the LS4 cars.

EDIT: I'm looking at my laptop and I see it right here. It's under trans->shift properties->desired shift time pattern. Check out the attachment.
You have a beta version?

Release 2.22 doesn't have any of the tapshift tables...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, I have a beta version, however, I'm still had them before I got the beta version. I had them over a year ago.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Teching In

is that for a GXP? is the pcm in a impala ss different?. my max line can only go to 93 psi, id love to be able to set it higher or have a way to adjust the shift time tables.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, that's for a gxp. I'm not positive but I think the impala has the same pcm. You shouldn't need to put line pressure higher than 93, you could blow your pump.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Teching In

I get what your saying, I dont want to start chirping the tires into gear just nice fast shifts under wot, there decent now my hp tuners only has shift pressure and the gear modifier tables, I just wish I could make the shifts quicker, not harder. shift time is prob .400 or something .200 or .150 would feel excellent without killing the trans. all my other gm cars are set to .100
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

2.23 has transmission shift time tables, several tap settings, and a bunch more. Actually, it has a lot of interesting differences in how transmission shift settings are presented too.

FWIW, I would not mess with the force motor current tables, because that lookup translates the line pressure command to a current. If you change that table, you no longer have any idea what pressure you are commanding.

I don't know this, but I think the transmission shifts hard when the MAP or the MAF fail because they are used to estimate torque, and all of the transmission pressure settings are based on torque. So if torque isn't known, the controller is set to a pressure that is safe for high torque shifts.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmp0098

I don't know this, but I think the transmission shifts hard when the MAP or the MAF fail because they are used to estimate torque, and all of the transmission pressure settings are based on torque. So if torque isn't known, the controller is set to a pressure that is safe for high torque shifts.
I confirmed this with Chris at HPT. The ECM commands maximum shift pressure when the MAF fails, but you can turn that "feature" off... Seems GM really wants to provide an incentive to bring the vehicle in for MAF servicing

Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmp0098

that's exactly what going on. Line pressure is maxed out.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I confirmed this with Chris at HPT. The ECM commands maximum shift pressure when the MAF fails, but you can turn that "feature" off... Seems GM really wants to provide an incentive to bring the vehicle in for MAF servicing

oops, shoulda read this first
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bill06ss
I get what your saying, I dont want to start chirping the tires into gear just nice fast shifts under wot, there decent now my hp tuners only has shift pressure and the gear modifier tables, I just wish I could make the shifts quicker, not harder. shift time is prob .400 or something .200 or .150 would feel excellent without killing the trans. all my other gm cars are set to .100
four things you should adjust for WOT shifting

1.) shift time
2.) shift pressure
3.) torque management
4.) shift rpm
Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help, sent an email to hp tuners to get 2.23 so I can adjust shift time. I wonder what other tables it unlocks. cant wait to see.

Quick Reply: hp tuners, 06 LS4