LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What Brand of Premium fuel do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shell equals garbage! I use Exon or Chevron. 3.22 for now.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
So nobody has any actual proof that one is better than the other...seems more like personal preference to me, right?
Click the link?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada
Chevron is my gas of choice. If I cannot get Chevron, I usually purchase some Techron fuel system cleaner to offset.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always used mobil 93octane and no complaints. Btw I filled up my tank today @ 2.87 per gallon.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Mobil 93...

don't ever use Shell... it's crap gas and causes a lot of KR... yeah their on the top tier list... but they paid to be on it too...

from all the 100's and 100's and 100's of tunes and data logs I've gone through for people, I can honestly tell you that I was able to pick out exactly when people switched fuel brands and put in Shell gas - cuz the amount of KR in their data logs skyrocketed... including in my own car when I first got it and used Shell.. until I actually did some data logging and saw the horror...

and best ones I've seen used with excellent results are mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp, and chevron...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs down

I just filled up yesterday and paid $3.35 Cheveron 91oct,$43.00
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I use Mobil 93...

don't ever use Shell... it's crap gas and causes a lot of KR... yeah their on the top tier list... but they paid to be on it too...

from all the 100's and 100's and 100's of tunes and data logs I've gone through for people, I can honestly tell you that I was able to pick out exactly when people switched fuel brands and put in Shell gas - cuz the amount of KR in their data logs skyrocketed... including in my own car when I first got it and used Shell.. until I actually did some data logging and saw the horror...

and best ones I've seen used with excellent results are mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp, and chevron...
I have never had any problems with Shell and they have helped this city recover after Katrina, BP as caused so much damage
And you can watch it live here of the continuing damage these ******* are doing
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...ov_stream.html

Last edited by Mels SS; 05-21-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mels SS
I have never had any problems with Shell
have you done a data log and checked your knock retard ?? hehe...

you won't HEAR it knocking or pinging... but you're see it in the data logs for sure....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I heard bad stuff about shell, backed up by dyno numbers. Said the car wouldn't take near as much timing, going into knock retard...
well I know when I put it in the Camry (my mile saver! Lol!) it completely fouled a spark plug or two!! I roll with BP or even QT!!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

I use Mobil 93...

so what should i get, in my town there is, shell, citgo, marathon, speedway. amd thats it.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you won't HEAR it knocking or pinging... but you're see it in the data logs for sure....
Quoted for truth.

I have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge set to monitor KR at all times, and I can tell you that, on the stock tune with most brands of 91-octane fuel, I would see near-constant KR in most driving modes. Post tune, I have virtually no KR, and I run Flying J gas, since it's cheaper by about 20 cents per gallon than the local Shell. There is ARCO nearby, but I hate the 45-cent extortion fee for using a debit card. Also, their EC gas sucks.

Anyway, I never hard my Impala ping or detonate, even with the stock tune. It took running a scan gauge to show how much KR I was getting, since only the worst knock is audible.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

You and I will see soon Lew hope its all good!!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mels SS
You and I will see soon Lew hope its all good!!
hahahah... true dat!! lol

Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

I use Shell where I live but everytime my tuner logs no knock at all and thats with 33 degrees of timing at WOT. Not sure how much more you guys are running timing wise. Plus my tuner offset my tune for the ethanol in my gas. Besides all the gas stations around me have ethanol in the gas. 93 0ct 2.79 a gallon here.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anything but Shell.

Hard to find anything over 91 octane around here.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gorske
I use Shell where I live but everytime my tuner logs no knock at all and thats with 33 degrees of timing at WOT. Not sure how much more you guys are running timing wise. Plus my tuner offset my tune for the ethanol in my gas. Besides all the gas stations around me have ethanol in the gas. 93 0ct 2.79 a gallon here.
well that's cool... you must live in one of the very very few areas where shell is actually ok... I've seen another person or two on forums that are around your same area, and they've not had any big issues with shell either... so you get lucky...

but, for the most part, in most areas, shell stuff is not that good...

Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several dyno graphs showing with, than without shell gas. The shell gas causes knock. A lot of it in fact. They also use nitrogen in their gas which reduces the power of the gas. They do it as a marketing scam. It makes stupid people think their gas has nos in it. They also can say it leaves less residue behind due to the chemical properties of nitrogen. This is not the truth however or all the companies would be doing it. My dad is the lead environmental engineer for Sunoco and is friends with all the chemical engineers in the refineries in Philly. They research this stuff all day, everyday. The only company i would stay away from would be Shell as i have hard evidence that its bad.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah we must be in our area. Cause myself and about 4 other buddies run nothing but shell from our area and all have no knock issues. I mean It sucks cause we have Shell, BP, Citgo, Marathon(91), Exxon/Mobil,and Admiral(91). Those are the options for my little area.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah their on the top tier list... but they paid to be on it too...
I'm sure that's exactly what they did.

Being on the top tier list has nothing to do with being knock retard-free. It's about meeting a certain set of minimum "industry" standards.

Now, if Shell adds something extra to their gas that causes these ill side effects, then yes, it can be labeled as "shitty gas." But don't say they paid their way onto that list due to the myriad of resulting issues.

Correlation does not imply causation!

Quick Reply: What Brand of Premium fuel do you use?