LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Intake swap help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake swap help

Ok you guys just spent about 4 hours taken apart my car to remove the throttle body and intake manifold and i gotta say all you guys that have done swaps and all that are brave! especailly haven to deal wit loosening the alternator bracket to remove that last bolt on the malifold.. wow! F**Kin GM! whos bright idea was it to put that little edge on it to cover the bolt.!?and well i woulda grinded it down but was to scared to start grinding with the open gas around the area..il get pics up of what im doing as it comes along.got a couple projects im working on .. oh yea if any of you guys that have done this religiously can give me any tips so i dont mess this up. id really appreciate it alot i feel like imma forget something..
do the bolts have to be in order and retorqued? anything else i that is required!?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Default tightening sequence

Tighten in two steps, first to 44 in-lbs, then to 89 in-lbs. See attached picture for sequence
Attached Thumbnails Intake swap help-manifold.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Launching!

ALSO, I do not know what kind of tool folks are using to try and remove that bolt under the alternator bracket, but I would recommend a ratching combination wrench . Sears has them, but I got mine at Harbor Freight, cheap but good for the limited use it'll see. They also make a swivel ended one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-93922.html
Obviously a regular socket isn't going to fit easily.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i took most of the bolt out except one cause it hit the pulley so qiggled it enough to get that last manifold bolt off..just barely.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Intake Swap update!

ok so got everything back on and after breaking the first manifold bolt off due to the torque wrench bein a POS! tightened the rest up and seems to be fine. hopefully some time later il get that bolt fixd..ended up goin wit the New Era performance ported thottle body and intake. and although the port service was not what i imagined.. i do kinda feel a diffrence but for some reason seems like i lost a little low end torque and gained some up on top.. lol

and well as far as that went. i had some fun fighting with the tensioner and belt. finally got it on and seemed to be a little off on the tensioner at an edge and after a quick test drive ,ended up shredding the belt . so after coasting it turning it off at every light managed to get home ..i took a trip to auto zone( which they have updated there systems and now carry the correct belt for 26 bucks) lol and well after slipping that belt on with no problem surprisingly ..

took it for another test drive to jiffy lube to get the fluids checked out cause since the belt went out i had no power steering ,water pump ,alt,or anything u know so i was getting the charging light, engine hot light (which it didn't over heat but was getting up there)and then the engine oil soon light came on (i cant explain this one) but went to jiffy lube and they said it was leaking a little from the oil filter,swapped it out and filled the oil and coolant which was a lil low and then it was good.

then as i go to leave i get a engine light come on so i go to autozone again and it something like 00121 talking about throttle positioning sensor .does anybody have any info on this?and well just thought id share my weekend..
Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

That might be the one that goes away or you will need to tune like the throttle blade size or something in hptuners.

Contact new era and see what they say after you get the code read. It's probably PO something (PO121?). Check and make sure the plug is in all the way for the map sensor and throttle body.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

map sensor is the one on the intake correct?and TB is good. and yea the code keeps goin on and off..
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Hey man, this code and a couple others are typical with ported throttle body's. What you notice as better throttle response the ECM notices as too much air. It's part of the electronic throttle safety system, although not critical enough to force you into a walk home situation. You have two options: get a stock throttle body or use a tuner package like HP Tuners or EFI Live to change the thresholds that set the diagnostic. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well thanks you guys for the info. Kinda thought that was it. And figured I was gunna need a tune. Well I'm planing on getting my headers n a cutout next I should I be fine to drive around like this? And well now that yu mention it I did get a better response , no more revving n then going now jus jumps as soon as I let ontha gas. N deffinatly pulls alot more.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

You should be fine driving the car. Porting the throttle body doesn't add much power, but it does increase airflow a lot for small throttle positions. Here's a thread with some useful information. Check out JeremyF's post where he talks about the codes and how he tunes them out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...folds-tbs.html
Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok kool yea i kno it doesnt add alot of power but its a start and ok cool as long as it wont cause no more problems or anything like that.thanks again for the info and help.