Turbo...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
i think supercharged would be nice. im not a big fan of turbo
its just my opinion not trying to offend anyone but i think turbos should be more for imports.
i havnt rode in a ls car that is turbo'd. i have riden in a couple of turbo'd cars tho. and yea let me know if ur in the area and well meet up for sure.
Hate to insult you, but you are positively retarded if you think a supercharger would be a better application in LS4s over a turbo.

1. We don't really have that much clearance for a positive displacement supercharger because of our transverse mounted engine.

2. We have enough torque off idle as is, why would you want more? The car would never hook and your transmission would be shredded almost instantaneously from off-idle/low RPM boost made from a PD supercharger.

One the other hand,

1. Turbos are more efficient. There is really no ceiling as far as boost and tuning versus a positive displacement supercharger. A FMIC helps the car run a lot better over a heat exchanger. (yes, a centrifugal supercharger combines both positives...intercooled, easier to select boost, spools)

2. For imports? Go watch Outlaw 10.5 cars...just cubic inches and large singles/twin setups. That has to be the most unfounded statement I've ever heard about turbos. They increase the volumetric efficiency of ANY engine...why do strictly imports only get to reap the benefits.

+1 for the snail...followed by the procharger, those sound f'n meannn.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Hate to insult you, but you are positively retarded if you think a supercharger would be a better application in LS4s over a turbo.

1. We don't really have that much clearance for a positive displacement supercharger because of our transverse mounted engine.

2. We have enough torque off idle as is, why would you want more? The car would never hook and your transmission would be shredded almost instantaneously from off-idle/low RPM boost made from a PD supercharger.

One the other hand,

1. Turbos are more efficient. There is really no ceiling as far as boost and tuning versus a positive displacement supercharger. A FMIC helps the car run a lot better over a heat exchanger. (yes, a centrifugal supercharger combines both positives...intercooled, easier to select boost, spools)

2. For imports? Go watch Outlaw 10.5 cars...just cubic inches and large singles/twin setups. That has to be the most unfounded statement I've ever heard about turbos. They increase the volumetric efficiency of ANY engine...why do strictly imports only get to reap the benefits.

whether u do a turbo or sc your most likely going to have to do something to the transmission. and i never said a sc would fit right under the hood with no modifications. also thanks for singling me out
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nacho SS

One the other hand,

So where in his posts did he say anything about a SC being better on the ls4 over a turbo because I sure don't see it. Way to act like an ******* to the kid for no reason. All he said is HE would rather have a SC. And either way you look at it both the turbo and sc are going to add a **** load of tq weather its off idle or at 2500 rpm. And just like Monte said either way your gonna have to do something with the Trans-axle.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

i beleive i was the one that said in my opinion a supercharger was better for us so if your gonna get on anyone it would be me man.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

this is not a new battle just to let you all know LOL...once you go boosted with a turbo or SC you can poke around in the FI section....these wars have been going on since the beginning of time LOL....

to comment on the boost numbers with meth and our 10:1 compression ratio not 9.9:1...

you wont yeild nearly as much psi even with meth as the LQ9, LS1, 2, 3, 6....just simply due to displacement....im running 8.14 psi as it was recorded on a MAP....and thats about pushing it for this motor on pump gas....good tuning could yeild a little more...but not much!! that compression ration does everything!!

and be careful with that magic potion(meth) just as any system...its prone to failure...if you talk to Mark(Monte LS4 CT kit-Supercatrx7) he blew ringlands on 9-11 psi...he couldnt figure out why and just blamed it on tune...but talking to him more...it come out that his check valve stuck in his meth system...and guess what...POP goes the ringland...

so its good...run some meth...if you tune on it...hope it dont fail...i wish there was a more fail-safe method of running meth!! its great but, can cause some issues if it fails...

now, on another note...E85 to me is the ticket! its a continious supply of high octane, cooler intake temps and clean/smooth operations....there...you only worry about your OE or aftermarket fuel pump failing....lil less octane(sometimes more times then other or even more than meth) but, its consistent...but battle on boys!! LOL...

and my whole system cost me in parts under $2800...that includes FMIC and piping :-) and there were no corners cut!! so its all how you do it!!....

i say poke around...look at all the info out there...maybe take a pic of the flange etc for the manifolds for the FM kit and have your local shop or guy make you the kit...its nuts and bolts guys...and some turns...you could probably eyeball the angles of the pipes up front and fitment with a good pipe and welder guy!!! PSSSSSSTT....thats what I did just in the rear! LOL its just pipe and flanges and nuts and bolts...

i know the front is different...but its the same principal....why have a company make it...take the parts...speck them and get them in...it will take some time...but so worth it at the end...
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both make power. Super chargers are little simpler but still very pricey. I have always liked turbos more... I like the tunning options with turbos, the fact you car run from 1 pound to how ever much your set up will support. I love the big hit of power turbos can give. The effecincy, The sound, the doscile nature of them unless you really get into it.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossko85
this is not a new battle just to let you all know LOL...once you go boosted with a turbo or SC you can poke around in the FI section....these wars have been going on since the beginning of time LOL....

to comment on the boost numbers with meth and our 10:1 compression ratio not 9.9:1...

you wont yeild nearly as much psi even with meth as the LQ9, LS1, 2, 3, 6....just simply due to displacement....im running 8.14 psi as it was recorded on a MAP....and thats about pushing it for this motor on pump gas....good tuning could yeild a little more...but not much!! that compression ration does everything!!

and be careful with that magic potion(meth) just as any system...its prone to failure...if you talk to Mark(Monte LS4 CT kit-Supercatrx7) he blew ringlands on 9-11 psi...he couldnt figure out why and just blamed it on tune...but talking to him more...it come out that his check valve stuck in his meth system...and guess what...POP goes the ringland...

so its good...run some meth...if you tune on it...hope it dont fail...i wish there was a more fail-safe method of running meth!! its great but, can cause some issues if it fails...

now, on another note...E85 to me is the ticket! its a continious supply of high octane, cooler intake temps and clean/smooth operations....there...you only worry about your OE or aftermarket fuel pump failing....lil less octane(sometimes more times then other or even more than meth) but, its consistent...but battle on boys!! LOL...

and my whole system cost me in parts under $2800...that includes FMIC and piping :-) and there were no corners cut!! so its all how you do it!!....

i say poke around...look at all the info out there...maybe take a pic of the flange etc for the manifolds for the FM kit and have your local shop or guy make you the kit...its nuts and bolts guys...and some turns...you could probably eyeball the angles of the pipes up front and fitment with a good pipe and welder guy!!! PSSSSSSTT....thats what I did just in the rear! LOL its just pipe and flanges and nuts and bolts...

i know the front is different...but its the same principal....why have a company make it...take the parts...speck them and get them in...it will take some time...but so worth it at the end...
Never blamed it on the tune! I may have been a little better off with an actual dyno tune on the car, possibly yes. My checkvalve did stick on the meth kit once. But I was also having a fueling issue with my car as well that caused my problems. We believe it may have come down to the intake manifold porting and a fuel pump that could not keep up.

There is no other kit like the cartuning kit. It comes with absolutely everything you need to effectively make power with this car. If you add up everything that is included in the cartuning kit, I don't think anyone can even come close. Intercooler, electric cut out, racetronix fuel pump rewire kit, meth system, detailed install instructions. The parts are of the highest quality as well. Did I mention customer service? Kevin at Cartuning has been there for me every step of the way and has gone out of his way to help me with some other modifications we are working on. Customer service is absolutely the best at Cartuning.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke with Kenne Bell,about a month ago and they told me they would never put another S/C on any FWD platform.They said it was a walking death trap in the PT crusier they did...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been checking into WA injection for the LGT so I can move to higher boost (because the stock 15 lbs isn't enough!).

A lot of the meth systems out there now have failsafes - wired into an electronic boost controller to cut boost if empty meth bottle, too much or not enough meth flow.... Some people bitch about meth being a "bandaid", but hey, if it's well thought out, it's not a bandaid.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

Kenne Belle supered a PT Cruiser?! Wow...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^That's what I said,a PT cruiser!!!There was way too much torque steer,from what he told me...

The owner has a SICK LOOKIN SS Camaro they did ill post pics in a few.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

t

Noted on the compression ratio. I seem to remember seeing 9.9:1 somewhere, but a trip to the GM Powertrain website proved you're correct.

As for methanol, I'll stand by the fact that a properly designed system is very safe and reliable. We GN guys have been running these systems for years, with very few failures. I've run my AlkyControl system for 4 years now, and while I've faced the occasional anomaly, it's never been anything that could cause damage. If you don't believe me, check out some sites like turbobuicks.com or turbobuick.com, you'll see that there's a TON of these system out there, many on 10-second cars or faster, and no complaints of blown head gaskets or wasted rings.

Just because you know a guy who had a problem doesn't mean that everyone who runs one of these systems is throwing the dice.

As for E85, you conveniently fail to mention the OTHER downsides besides fuel pump failure. What about limited availability outside of the midwest? Or the fact that you'll need to completely change out everything in your fuel system that contacts the stuff, else it might corrode QUICKLY? And the biggest issue you'd see in a daily driver, which is the 25% hit to fuel economy due to E85 packing that much less energy per gallon. I learned first hand in my Flex Fuel 2007 Tahoe. Instead of 18 MPG, I got 12.5!!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I've been checking into WA injection for the LGT so I can move to higher boost (because the stock 15 lbs isn't enough!).

A lot of the meth systems out there now have failsafes - wired into an electronic boost controller to cut boost if empty meth bottle, too much or not enough meth flow.... Some people bitch about meth being a "bandaid", but hey, if it's well thought out, it's not a bandaid.

Quoted for truth.

And I think that, as time goes on, and fuel eceonmy standards become more strict, we'll see more reformulated fuels with potentially less octane. You could even see the phase out of higher-octane (91+) at the pumps. We live in a country run by folks hostile to our hobby, so we'll need to adapt by using tools like methanol if we hope to run fast into the future.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

After reading through these threads I hae decided to go with the Cartuning kit. I think 5500 is a steal! 620 engine hp and 500fwhp with a bolt on kit... WOW! I should have all of the money together by Oct. Since I hae another car (now) I can keep saving and just go ***** out. Sucks for me though, cause I just sold my stock fuel rail so now I'm going to have to go aftermarket. I had good intentions of swaping in my new cam, PP heads and fabing up an LS6 intake but after watching some vids and reading posts I'm sold.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck with the turbo man and keep us posted on the work

Quick Reply: Turbo...?