LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

full exhuast intake and a tune... what am i looking at

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full exhuast intake and a tune... what am i looking at

ok so im new to w bodys but have been playing with lsx engines for a couple of years. i have 06 impala ss and at this point all i have done is intake and tint. over the next month or two i plan to put headers, downpipe (w/ cat) because the county i live in its illegal to mod your car in anyway... it sucks haha and a magnaflow exhuast and a tune from someone i dont think any of you have used here but is big with silverado ss and trailblazer ss, blackbear performace.

my question is around where will i stand with fwhp? and what kind of 1/4 mile times can i expect? also will rockers really make that much of a difference on these cars? im just nervous about breaking into the engine and breaking my extended warranty.

thanks for all the input - jimmy
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jim_tucker
ok so im new to w bodys but have been playing with lsx engines for a couple of years. i have 06 impala ss and at this point all i have done is intake and tint. over the next month or two i plan to put headers, downpipe (w/ cat) because the county i live in its illegal to mod your car in anyway... it sucks haha and a magnaflow exhuast and a tune from someone i dont think any of you have used here but is big with silverado ss and trailblazer ss, blackbear performace.

my question is around where will i stand with fwhp? and what kind of 1/4 mile times can i expect? also will rockers really make that much of a difference on these cars? im just nervous about breaking into the engine and breaking my extended warranty.

thanks for all the input - jimmy
first off welcome, next with the doug thorley headers you DO NOT need a down pipe so just a weld in highflow cat will do just fine, next is the magnaflow catback is pretty pricey about $700 ish is what i have seen them at, and a tune is awesome for sure, with all of that i would look at a LS6 intake manifold but that might be too much with that waranty. so i would budget around 1500 for all of that. BUT exhaust wise i would buy the mufflers you want and have a shop make a system for you, should be much cheaper, also i would recommend a exhaust cutout. anything else i missed im sure someone will also chime in. 1/4 mile times will vary depending on track conditions, elevation etc. i ran a 13.98 with over half a tank of gas bone stock/w exhaust cutout, on street tires, my elevation is really really low. ive seen anywhere from 13.7-14.3 in stock form, with these mods you will be mid 13's.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

If you are 100% sold on the magnaflow system, this seems to be the cheapest place around. Setup for my 06 monte was 616 shipped.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/
Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I would rather pay for a shop to build me a 3" system. That's just me though.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Reducing heat in your engine bay will also reduce your 1/4 mile times. Wrap your intake tubing and crossover pipe and you should be set for that.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

i am slowly making my own 3" exhaust, bought a piece of 3" pipe and 2 90* bends so far, and i have a pipe expander so life is easy, i would suggest that you could get he 3" system made alot cheaper
Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

I just put the Magnaflow kit on Saturday. Awesome. It is, however, only a 2.5 inch and is not a 3. Not sure of the pros/cons to that. On the flip side, the tubing is mandrel bent. So, that allows for increased flow.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Are you guys saying you have a 3" system all the way to the mufflers or to the y pipe??
Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06ImpalaSS
Are you guys saying you have a 3" system all the way to the mufflers or to the y pipe??
Most do 3" into 2.5" at the Y. I have 3" dumped under the rear bumper. No tips.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Most do 3" into 2.5" at the Y. I have 3" dumped under the rear bumper. No tips.
i still havnt seen pics of this AG! lol
Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

A custom 3" exhaust will make an even bigger difference with headers, due to the 3" collector. This set up will build a broad torque curve. If your planing on keeping your stock exhaust manifolds then going 3" is pointless. The rear outlet of your stock exhaust manifold outlet is only 2 1/2". The 3" down pipe only makes a little bit more power. Not from it being 3 inches but from it not being as restrictive as the stocker. I would also recommend going custom. Get headers first and then finish up your exhaust with a High flow cat with a cut out, or go 3" into the split, exiting into dual 2 1/2"
To answer your question about power gains with just a exhaust and intake ( tune) You should be looking at 260 ish at the wheels with a 102mph in the 1/4.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
i still havnt seen pics of this AG! lol
When the new springs come in I'll take some pics of the lowered ride and get some of the underbelly.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help guys i think im going to do rockers and put the headers off until later because mods that cant be seen are better than ones that can when it comes to warranties. i have a exhaust shop that made side pipes for my silverado ss a few months back and ill call them up about putting something together for the new car. also anyone here spraying? i know chevys love nitrous and i was wondering how it was working for you all.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
When the new springs come in I'll take some pics of the lowered ride and get some of the underbelly.
alright sounds good. im getting aligned on saturday so then i will beable to put my black wheels back on and it will be time for pics also. shell be lookin good again.