LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Performance tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance tuning

Ok this is my first post on this site so im gettin used to it, but i have a 2006 impala ss. i was wondering what is the best tuner that i could purchase and increase my performance with. also any other performance upgrades other than the K&N cold air intake and Jet MAFS that i have. i am lookin for my car to be louder and be able to pull at least 100 M.P.H. in the quarter mile. Basically I am looking for much more power without having to buy a turbo kit for my LS4 Motor
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The absolute best would be a dyno. But as far as handhelds go, I would go with the diablo predator, and get a custom tune by Lew.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06impyss
Ok this is my first post on this site so im gettin used to it, but i have a 2006 impala ss. i was wondering what is the best tuner that i could purchase and increase my performance with. also any other performance upgrades other than the K&N cold air intake and Jet MAFS that i have. i am lookin for my car to be louder and be able to pull at least 100 M.P.H. in the quarter mile. Basically I am looking for much more power without having to buy a turbo kit for my LS4 Motor
D'OH!!!

get rid of that Jet MAF sensor immediately!!!!! garbage... it does nothing for you except to mess up a tune... it fools the ecm into thinking it's running leaner than it really is... so it totally screws your fuel trims and such.... dump it...

the stock MAF's are good for 550hp anyway - so no need to worry about that with our cars... and if you do stuff to be pushing more than 550hp in these cars, you're not going to tune with a MAF sensor anyway, you'd get a speed density tune and lose the MAF altogether...

so, get rid of that Jet MAF sensor and put the stock GM MAF back on....

then, get yourself a diablo Trinity for the car to give it a good tune... and once you're used to that, you can step up to a custom tune made for the Trinity for your car to get even more giddy-up....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

How exactly do those tuners work? do you have to keep them plugged in all the time or what? also ive read you cant tune anything in your transmission with the diablo tuners and my tranny occasionally likes to slip when accelerating from a stop. its an on and off thing that doesnt happen often though. Also with the tuner can you change your settings from like one mode to another with the push of a few buttons ? or do you have to go through some other process.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Teching In

How exactly do those tuners work? do you have to keep them plugged in all the time or what? also ive read you cant tune anything in your transmission with the diablo tuners and my tranny occasionally likes to slip when accelerating from a stop. its an on and off thing that doesnt happen often though. Also with the tuner can you change your settings from like one mode to another with the push of a few buttons ? or do you have to go through some other process
Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read up on this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...blo-tuner.html
Old 06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

How exactly do those tuners work? do you have to keep them plugged in all the time or what? also ive read you cant tune anything in your transmission with the diablo tuners and my tranny occasionally likes to slip when accelerating from a stop. its an on and off thing that doesnt happen often though. Also with the tuner can you change your settings from like one mode to another with the push of a few buttons ? or do you have to go through some other process.
nope, doesn't have to be plugged in all the time.. you can hook it up, install a tune, or modify the tune then install it... then unplug it when you're done...

you would have it plugged in while driving to do data logging though... but again, when you're done logging, you can just take it out... that's what I do... I don't keep mine hooked up or in the car all the time... gets too damn HOT in the car lol

yes, you can change/adjust parameters with a few button clicks/touches, change tunes, etc etc...

as for your tranny slipping like that, that's a mechanical issue with your tranny... there was a TSB out on that YEARS ago for our cars... your tranny's 2nd clutch band needs to be replaced... take it to your dealer and get it fixed...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

what about the predator? doesnt that offer the same things that the trinity offers?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about the predator? doesnt that offer the same things that the trinity offers?
not transmission. the trinity will cover the tranny soon. they are working on it
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

get HP tuners.....then you wouldn't have to wait for tranny support that might or might not come....
Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
not transmission. the trinity will cover the tranny soon. they are working on it
plus, the trinity will be getting another update that will allow you to tune more than one vehicle at a time... be able to tune 2, 3, or 4 vehicles with it... which won't happen with the predator...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

doug thorley headers, or catted or catless downpipe, catback exhaust, 1.8 rockers, ls6 intake swap, good tires if your goal is to achieve good times the list goes on.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You really don't need a tune to trap 100mph, but it'd definitely help.

Catless downpipe, and a tune should pretty much guarantee your goals unless you have horrible conditions to run in.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2005gxp
doug thorley headers, or catted or catless downpipe, catback exhaust, 1.8 rockers, ls6 intake swap, good tires if your goal is to achieve good times the list goes on.
ive read that messing with the downpipe on the impalas can realy rob the motor of power though, is this true?
but i have heard that the resonators on our cars are very restrictive. if i did a res delete how much exta power would that give me? or would you put a cutout right after the cat so you can just have that extra power when your gonna be racing
Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You buy a cookie cutter car with a cookie cutter tune in it and then start modding it for more poop!
The FIRST thing you should do is Data log and TUNE to it`s max... then as you mod you can adjust accordingly to achieve max performance from any and all mods.

Recommendations: Get a tuner or tuner software and get it right first! Then enjoy modding and tweeking.