LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone who got a tune or is tuning read this!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone who got a tune or is tuning read this!!!!!

I will keep this short and sweet.
\For the past several months, my car has been randomly over heating. Everything in my car was replaced and still was over heating. When i looked in hp tuners, the fans were set to come on at 100% all the way across the board but yet when idling and driving the fans failed to turn on. It took about 5 hours to figure out that you CAN NOT set the fans to 100% or they will fail to turn on. As soon as i lowered it down to 90% they started working again.

The reason i am posting this is because fasterproms tuned my car. They changed my fans from 90% to 100% since then my car has randomly overheated. That over heating caused my rod bearings to fail and i had to completely rebuild the engine....thank you fasterproms
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thank you! However, I don't think thats so much fastproms fault as it is hptuners.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Did fasterproms offer any compensation whatsoever? Best of luck man.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Launching!

yep, they turn off after 90%, I had the same problem a year ago when I got my car tuned, On the way back home after the tune I got struck in traffic and I noticed my temps reaching 230, lucky I brought my computer with me so I could fix the problem before further damage, I hear this a common problem with GM cars, sorry to hear about your car, everyone needs to know "DONT SET FAN PERCENTAGE OVER 90%"
Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

guy who tuned my car already knew this however i asked him to set the engine off fan on to 90 seconds so the fan would stay on for 90 secs before turning off once i shut the car off. i dunno why buy its not doing that at all.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

okay i have the same trouble with overheating with my fans in the factory configuration, no tune...

there are no signs of a coolant leak on the ground, none in the engine bay. my coolant overflow tank just keeps boiling off coolant and the car overheats. where should i look for an internal coolant leak on an ls4?
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn Goose, that's some bad news. You've got yourself a money pit!

Did you upgrade anything during the rebuild?

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
okay i have the same trouble with overheating with my fans in the factory configuration, no tune...

there are no signs of a coolant leak on the ground, none in the engine bay. my coolant overflow tank just keeps boiling off coolant and the car overheats. where should i look for an internal coolant leak on an ls4?

Could be a head gasket blown. It'd make sense since you spray.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't even say anything to Jeremy at fasterproms. I figured it wasn't worth it. And ya i did a complete rebuild. I will make a post when its tuned and on the dyno. As of right now i dont have any GOOD feedback so i will just be quite till i have hard evidence.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to let them know. This is an error on their part and needs to be corrected. If not for you, at least for the next individual!

In all honesty, I would demand that they fix/replace anything that was damaged post their 100% fan tune.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Could be a head gasket blown. It'd make sense since you spray.
yeah that's what im thinking. the car's going to the dealer on monday. warranty, fingers crossed.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

it was like 8 grand, i highly doubt they will do anything, they will just tell me to **** off, i cant prove anything
Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, you could have that stroker by now, all the money you've sunk into that thing.

It's funny you mention this when you did, my buddy's car started to overheat last weekend.........I was racking my brain trying to figure out why.

BTW, can you please sticky this BAMA?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
it was like 8 grand, i highly doubt they will do anything, they will just tell me to **** off, i cant prove anything
that really sucks man. you have no receipts of the work they did to create a papertrail?
Originally Posted by JDMC5
dude, you could have that stroker by now, all the money you've sunk into that thing.

It's funny you mention this when you did, my buddy's car started to overheat last weekend.........I was racking my brain trying to figure out why.

BTW, can you please sticky this BAMA?
how do you explain the overheating? did your buddy's coolant reservoir boil over too?

my car drinks dexcool, without any visible signs of a external coolant leak. i bled the system with the radiator cap off, and there's no coolant/water in the oil.

i have no clue whats wrong with it. its either leaking externally, and it boils off from hitting the manifold/crossover, or its leaking under the intake manifold, somewhere i can't track...

halp
Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, on his car I attribute it to the fans.....

on your car, well, it could be leaking externally and burning off on the exhaust or somewhere else, OR it could be a head gasket that's leaking into the cylinder and burning off. Remember no coolant flows through this intake.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JDMC5
well, on his car I attribute it to the fans.....

on your car, well, it could be leaking externally and burning off on the exhaust or somewhere else, OR it could be a head gasket that's leaking into the cylinder and burning off. Remember no coolant flows through this intake.
im going to try and bleed it tomorrow and see how things turn out. if its not fixed, it goes to the dealer on monday.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it might be wise to figure that out before breaking into the engine.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

I had a Beretta that leaked coolant from the water pump, but it never made it to the ground because it was evaperated off. It was a high pressure leak, and with 212k on the odo I never accelerated hard until it was warmed up (I only paid $400 for it, and it had about $400 worth of stereo equipment in it, lol). Anyway, if I wasn't careful it would get low, an air bubble would get in the engine and the temps would skyrocket until it the pressure forced coolant back through the system. After about the fifth time that happened on my way to work I lost the head gasket because of the heat cycling.

Long story short, fix that before it breaks something else.

FWIW on tuning, I left the fan section stock except for Fan Desired % vs. ECT so that the stock settings would be used with A/C on.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

my temp gauge has skyrocketed up and then all of a sudden it dinged and dic said a/c off engine protection like its hot coolants fine thermostat is fine i dont know what it could be?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
my temp gauge has skyrocketed up and then all of a sudden it dinged and dic said a/c off engine protection like its hot coolants fine thermostat is fine i dont know what it could be?
Maybe your fan fuses or something? Are the fans coming on? The ECU turned the A/C off because it is an additional cooling load, and lowers the efficiency of your radiator.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes they come on i dont know what it is? i going to get the radaitor flushed out maybe this week since it was never done and it has almost 90k

Quick Reply: Anyone who got a tune or is tuning read this!!!!!