LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a ?

OK well i come from a drag racing family and have allways had a faster car than my lil brother, that being said, he went out about a month ago and picked up a 95 z28 and that diddnt bother me cuz i knew i would spank him! but it had a lot of miles on it when he got it and he started running it hard right off the bat without checking anything or even giving it a tune up so needless to say bad things happend, he blew a head gasket so he took the heads off and a close freind of the family ported and polished them while they were off, got it put back together and now he spun a bearing, the problem is with that, is that he is now buying a 383 stroker kit and having my dad(a mechanical f'n geinus) build it for him! so will i in stock form be able to take or even make a race out of this ported 383 6 speed?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

i would have to say no, if the 383 is done right.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go turbo or start sprayin and you'll be in good shape...

What are your mods as of now??
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say go turbo I've seen n/a 383's run low 13's to low 11's. If he uses nitrous you may be fighting a losing battle.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Teching In

I am bone stock other than a res del! i dont even know what kind of numbers to expect out of that thing, it cant be in the 12's, my best guess is that he will probably be around 13.4 at the fastest, what do i need to hit that and no im not going spray or turbo, its just not worth it on our cars, the power is worth it but the fact that were fwd and all that extra power and money u spent gets wasted for the first 1/8 mile on the track just not worth it to me, that kind of hp should but us in the low 11's but it only take our cars to the mid 12's
Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 05gxp
OK well i come from a drag racing family and have allways had a faster car than my lil brother, that being said, he went out about a month ago and picked up a 95 z28 and that diddnt bother me cuz i knew i would spank him! but it had a lot of miles on it when he got it and he started running it hard right off the bat without checking anything or even giving it a tune up so needless to say bad things happend, he blew a head gasket so he took the heads off and a close freind of the family ported and polished them while they were off, got it put back together and now he spun a bearing, the problem is with that, is that he is now buying a 383 stroker kit and having my dad(a mechanical f'n geinus) build it for him! so will i in stock form be able to take or even make a race out of this ported 383 6 speed?

Being from the LT family..if your dads as good as you say..your going to get smoked.
Thing is a 95 Z had 275HP out of the gate. He puts a fresh 383 in there your looking at around 300NA.. He gets the right parts..your looking at a mid 12 second car. With just bolt on and tune.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

theres not enough boltons imo to get into the low 12's, youll spend so much without going turbo where if you just went turbo to begin with you would be faster then with all the boltons
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am bone stock other than a res del! i dont even know what kind of numbers to expect out of that thing, it cant be in the 12's, my best guess is that he will probably be around 13.4 at the fastest, what do i need to hit that and no im not going spray or turbo, its just not worth it on our cars, the power is worth it but the fact that were fwd and all that extra power and money u spent gets wasted for the first 1/8 mile on the track just not worth it to me, that kind of hp should but us in the low 11's but it only take our cars to the mid 12's
umm 13.4 I was running that with basic bolt ons and tune on my LT1..was running a 13.5. My Z ran right out of the gate a 14.1 the first summer I owned it.
Got down to 13.5 when I put CAI, MAF ported TB cutout shift kit and gears and the tune..and weight reduction. That was on stree tires too.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2005gxp
theres not enough boltons imo to get into the low 12's, youll spend so much without going turbo where if you just went turbo to begin with you would be faster then with all the boltons
not to mention were fully loaded cars with full everything..that adds weight..
Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Teching In

well there are no bolt-ons, he said that he isnt going to drop more than a grand into this one cuz he is trying to save for a 02 ss, but he saw this for cheap and had to have it just to get him back on the track, its just going to be a ported 383 no intake no headers no cat back or tune nothing, he also has about 600lbs of sub woofers in the trunk or close to it no joke, and i forgot to mention that his rear shocks are junk and his trailing arms are twisted so i dont think hes going to hook, he will probably hop his tires to the 60' easy!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Teching In

either way im not going to go turbo or spray on this car, this is my daddy car but in a couple months i will have the money to go buy a ws6 or a 6.0 gto and slap a procharger on it so im not really worried about it but was just wondering what my chances were, i do plan on getting the trans built and a light tune and a fwi but thats about it for the 4-dr monster maybe a catted dp, does that make it louder if anyone knows, i already cut off the res but it just isnt loud enough at cruising speed just wondering
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

ohh..if he has all that stuff..dont bother..600 pounds?? even 300 thats a lot of stuff to get up and go.

I wouldnt even race him if its like that. If he had a setup like I had on my Z..then yea you would be seeing tails. But all that extra.. nevermind.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

either way im not going to go turbo or spray on this car, this is my daddy car but in a couple months i will have the money to go buy a ws6 or a 6.0 gto and slap a procharger on it so im not really worried about it but was just wondering what my chances were, i do plan on getting the trans built and a light tune and a fwi but thats about it for the 4-dr monster maybe a catted dp, does that make it louder if anyone knows, i already cut off the res but it just isnt loud enough at cruising speed just wondering
take the mufflers off too it will be really loud