LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Test Drove Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how accurate that is? It's cool regardless, and looks about right.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
I wonder how accurate that is? It's cool regardless, and looks about right.
I've been told it's very close. I plan on taking it to the drags in October & I'll compare the results.

I'll post the video of my 10 SRT8 vs my son's stock 00 Camaro SS. His best is a 13.1 so I'm thinking it should be a close race.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man im jealous..
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Well if the camaro is limited by its "poundage" your IMP is limited by GM's lack of vision in making it FWD. I owned a 2000 SS monte. Great car, looked awesome, torque steered like a ****. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with an LSx motor connected to the transaxle.

Sorry bro, but new the Camaro SS would romp your Impala Manual or Auto, Roll or Dig.
Call me mean or whatever, but I totally agree with this guy. You guys are comparing your modded car to a stock car that's not even close to being broken in. And lol @ at the straight pipe comment.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9cobra4
Call me mean or whatever, but I totally agree with this guy. You guys are comparing your modded car to a stock car that's not even close to being broken in. And lol @ at the straight pipe comment.

It has already been clarified..plus the car had 17 thousand miles on it so i think its been broken in..im just sayin
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I liked my GXP, but it really did torque steer considerably. No sense in comparing the cars though, different purposes, different price points. As for weights, I believe the base model camaro ss 6M is supposed to be ~3800lbs sans driver.

Not to nitpick, but if you're 5'8" and feel cramped vertically in the camaro, you must have a giant melon, or freakishly long torso. I'm 5'10" and daily drive it with no complaint.

Visibility does suck Strategic mirror placement is a must!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deft
I liked my GXP, but it really did torque steer considerably. No sense in comparing the cars though, different purposes, different price points. As for weights, I believe the base model camaro ss 6M is supposed to be ~3800lbs sans driver.

Not to nitpick, but if you're 5'8" and feel cramped vertically in the camaro, you must have a giant melon, or freakishly long torso. I'm 5'10" and daily drive it with no complaint.

Visibility does suck Strategic mirror placement is a must!

very true..come to think of it, the seat was kind of high but its all good. the interior was ok as far as the dash, console, etc..not worth 30k+ in my opinion. a buddy of mine has an orange SS with the 6spd tranny he has the headers and is straight piped as well as tuned and that thing is crazy fast..
Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

deft how do you like the SS?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's nice, fun, and a little scary considering my previous car was a fwd auto

That being said I will be looking to trade in a little bit. I would not object to a 2011 model, but will also be looking at 2008-2009 vettes if I can find some in the price range.

The camaro is a big heavy car, but that also means it's pretty safe. About two months ago some lady just about tboned me (after running a red) going about 40mph, and thankfully no one was hurt.

It is heavy, but I cracked out a 13.3 1/4 completely stock. I had driven a manual transmission down the track less than 10 times ever, a better driver could definitely do better, what other car can do that with an msrp of $31k? (we'll negate the new mustang for arguments sake )

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
deft how do you like the SS?