LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

need help with an 06 Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toy_Soldier
dont have a scan tool....but I did just discover the only fuel filter on this car is inside the tank. How often does this need changing? Ive even heard theyre not a servicable item. hmmm
Never heard of a system like that. I wonder what happens to all the crap that gets into the tank?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup. Just talked to the dealer and they said the filter and the fuel pump are pretty much all one assembly and they usually dont service the filter unless the pump is going out. He also said they didnt see any issues with any kind of fuel delivery. Everything read normal. Todays projest is getting a supercharger belt ordered and look into some new 02 sensors.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While your at it clean the MAF sensor and TB with MAF sensor cleaner.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Ill do the MAF tomorrow. Just did the tb on friday. Ordered a sc'r belt today, here friday, got 02 sensors today also, prolly all going on this friday morning.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Teching In

think maybe an old tq converter could be the issue? Is there a way to check it? I mean a badass one is only like 400 bucks.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque converters don't wear out so it can't be that.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 AM
On The Tree

yup. Just talked to the dealer and they said the filter and the fuel pump are pretty much all one assembly and they usually dont service the filter unless the pump is going out. He also said they didnt see any issues with any kind of fuel delivery. Everything read normal. Todays projest is getting a supercharger belt ordered and look into some new 02 sensors.

Do you know what they checked?

Do you notice if the car is engine hotter then normal?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Teching In

...wait, tourque converters..dont wear out...seriously? Do you know how many torque converts Ive had bite the dust on me? Anyways, the temps are staying right, no problems or anything. Im about at the end of my rope here if these last few things dont check out. Hopefully i can get the 02 sensors in tonight. I have alot of miles to go today so itll be nice and blistering hot when I do it. I cant wait.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Teching In

and as far as what they checked, Ill hafta go down and pull out the invoice. I know they checked fuul pressures and went through the programming just tomake sure everything was in specs. Honestly I think they just checked for codes and saw there wasnt any and gave up.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

That sounds about right. Probably did a quick visual walk around too.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Torque converters don't wear out so it can't be that.
...wait, tourque converters..dont wear out...seriously? Do you know how many torque converts Ive had bite the dust on me? Anyways, the temps are staying right, no problems or anything. Im about at the end of my rope here if these last few things dont check out. Hopefully i can get the 02 sensors in tonight. I have alot of miles to go today so itll be nice and blistering hot when I do it. I cant wait.
I think what he's saying is, torque converters are not "wear parts". Unless there's a design issue (like our LS4s) or too much power for the application, torque converters seldom fail. And when they do, they don't go out slowly, they do things like oscillate (lock and unlock) or don't lock-up at all, or they won't unlock. Or they come apart internally and the debris wipes out the tranny.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

and as far as what they checked, Ill hafta go down and pull out the invoice. I know they checked fuul pressures and went through the programming just tomake sure everything was in specs. Honestly I think they just checked for codes and saw there wasnt any and gave up.
Did you (or the dealer) check out the coilpack yet?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

gotchya on the converter. I havent checked coil packs yet, but if that were an issue wouldnt it begin to cause misfires? Anytime Ive lost a pack, its been a pretty prodominant issue. My car is running smooth as can be. Im about ready to just unload the damn thing on someone else who doesnt care to go fast. Its got lots of new stuff on it as of this week. An effin V6 isnt worth this much trouble, even if it does sound cool.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

gotchya on the converter. I havent checked coil packs yet, but if that were an issue wouldnt it begin to cause misfires? Anytime Ive lost a pack, its been a pretty prodominant issue. My car is running smooth as can be. Im about ready to just unload the damn thing on someone else who doesnt care to go fast. Its got lots of new stuff on it as of this week. An effin V6 isnt worth this much trouble, even if it does sound cool.
A bad coilpack can work fine in normal driving but not deliver enough voltage under load. You can test them by measuring resistance across the terminals with a meter.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Teching In

and what would the desired reading be? Would it read correctly at idle or should it be under some rpms while reading it?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

No way to test while driving. Read this whole thread:

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/bu...e-if-good.html

You have a Type 2 coilpack, iirc.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Cold air is dense air, and dense air is heavy air. Your trying push heavy mass of exhaust gas out of the tailpipe. An larger exhaust pipe will cause a slow exhaust flow, which will in turn give the gas plenty of time to cool off en route. Overlarge piping will also allow our exhaust pulses to achieve a higher level of entropy, as pulses will not have the same tendency to line up as they would in a smaller pipe. Which also explains why your psi is that high if your CAT isn't clogged. With your pulley size you shouldn't be seeing more them max of 10psi boost at WOT.
I might be wrong and some will argue but I am speaking from personal experience here. I did one mod at a time on my GTP and there was a huge night and day difference when I added the full 3" exhaust from the collector all the way out the back to when I finally broke done and bought a cat back system. I gained back up what I lost.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Teching In

k so the exhaust issue. I did the exhaust like 3 months after I got the car. Ive had the car over a yr and a half. Its just now losing power. If the pipes were too big, why did it wait over a yr before acting up?...BTW, I understand the physics of exhaust flow, Ive been toying with cars for a long time. Its not the pipes. But here is an update...My torque converter started slipping today. 4 times already have i hit 1500rpm before its locked, then it jolted me back like I slammed it into gear from nuetral. Ive started throwing codes all the sudden. I have a P0703, along with a bank lean code. Im looking for vacuum leaks but no luck. The 703 code is a brake code. WTF? I know my tranny and TC are acting up, but no codes.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like you need a new car
Old 08-20-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

k so the exhaust issue. I did the exhaust like 3 months after I got the car. Ive had the car over a yr and a half. Its just now losing power. If the pipes were too big, why did it wait over a yr before acting up?...BTW, I understand the physics of exhaust flow, Ive been toying with cars for a long time. Its not the pipes. But here is an update...My torque converter started slipping today. 4 times already have i hit 1500rpm before its locked, then it jolted me back like I slammed it into gear from nuetral. Ive started throwing codes all the sudden. I have a P0703, along with a bank lean code. Im looking for vacuum leaks but no luck. The 703 code is a brake code. WTF? I know my tranny and TC are acting up, but no codes.
Sucks man. The codes, even the bank lean code, could have been triggered by your trans problems.

I feel for you. Maybe it's time to move on to the next car.

Quick Reply: need help with an 06 Grand Prix