LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I wish I had more hands..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
wanna trade mpg numbers? lol

did you make sure your tires were aired up right?
your best mpg you will get is below 60mph (hard to do lol) because of wind resistance greatly increasing over 55mph unless the wind is at your back
Originally Posted by texasGXP08
The biggest factor in your MPG, that hasn't been mentioned, is your tire pressure. If you are going on a long highway drive, it is okay to put another 4-5 psi in your tires. It helps alot. I run my tires at 31 psi around town, but when I go on a trip, I bump it up to 35 psi and I have not seen less than 24 mpg on highway trips.

Use the cruise control alot, it helps. Also, probably obvious but worth mentioning, 1) ensure your air filter is clean and 2) Be sure to run fuel injector cleaner periodically.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Oops! What can I say? I skim sometimes...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

A little update; made it home from the beach and while I didnt get a chance to check the mileage manually, I did drive the car home like I wish I would've driven it down there. So, here's the outcome: drove the car all week on the remaining gas I had in the tank and the DIC showed 19.2 average after the stop-n-go traffic of Myrtle Beach before starting the trip home. I didnt reset the DIC because honestly I was at the point that I didnt care about mileage anymore and just wanted to make some good time on the trip home, and I was going to let the tranny pay the price for it as well (to an extent). After over 450 miles of sh*ttin' and gettin' (basically staying at a minimum of 10mph above the speed limit the entire trip) and driving like I wanted, the tranny stayed in one piece (for now) and topped out at 210 degrees but actually maintained cooler temps for the majority of the ride home, 188 degrees home vs. 199 degrees there. Also, my MPG didnt suffer as much as I expected either, I made it home with the DIC showing 20.4mpg, so on average it must've been seeing close to 21mpg the entire trip home to increase the overall mpg from the 19 I saw before I headed north. Keep in mind that this was on far from level conditions, having to travel the WV turnpike that is quite mountainous. So, I've learned that my car doesnt care if I drive it like animal or like a baby, my mpg wont change enough to make a difference. Now, I'm sure if I took all the necessary precautions like the tire pressure and driving well below 70mph at all times that I might actually see ~25mpg like I had hoped for, but I have to say, crap on that! I'm gonna drive this car like I want for the expense of ~4-5mpg.

Just wanted to update, I hope my rambling made some sense, lol.

Joe.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you do it manually you should see a little more mpg's the dic is a little off from what you actually get. but good to hear about the trans temps
Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Earlier this year I drove from Greenvile, SC to Philadelphia, PA and back twice within a 6 week period. On both trips, I averaged (according to the DIC) just under 26.5 mpg going north and just over 24 mpg going south; averaged around 10 mph over the limit for each trip. Figured out the difference is likely due to the fact the northbound trip is mostly downhill. Didn't manually calculate the mpg during these trips, but I did manually calculate mpg when I first bought the car and found that actual mileage averaged just over 1 mpg lower than the DIC.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove from El Paso, TX to Rochester, NY at the end of May (when I finally got out of the Army) and averaged 26-28 mpg. Please note, that my Dad (co-pilot) and I always set the cruise control at the posted speed limit the entire trip. It was a 3 days drive no matter what, so we weren't in a hurry...