LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

lower strut bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower strut bolt

so replaceing the struts on my 05 gxp(with KYB struts from summit). ran into trouble with the lower strut bolt with the weird head. it is not like a generic bolt with 5 sides to fit a socket. It is basically round with two parallel sides. wondering if i need a special tool/socket due to the fact that they do not seem to slide out after the nut is removed. wondering if bolt may be threaded into knuckle because i tried to tap the bolt through but no success. out of all 4 bolts they all seem to not move after nut is removed any insight into this would be appreciated. do not want to round off head of bolt incase it is threaded.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Launching!

If they are the same as in my Monte, they are a press fit, the bolt is splined and pressed into the knuckle. You need to drive them out with a hammer or hammer and punch. Use a large heavy hammer, such as a small 5 lb sledge or large ball peen hammer. Light taps with a small hammer won't do it.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Use a brass hammer as to not booger up the end of the bolt.

Just my $.02
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Housor
so replaceing the struts on my 05 gxp(with KYB struts from summit). ran into trouble with the lower strut bolt with the weird head. it is not like a generic bolt with 5 sides to fit a socket. It is basically round with two parallel sides. wondering if i need a special tool/socket due to the fact that they do not seem to slide out after the nut is removed. wondering if bolt may be threaded into knuckle because i tried to tap the bolt through but no success. out of all 4 bolts they all seem to not move after nut is removed any insight into this would be appreciated. do not want to round off head of bolt incase it is threaded.
Twist it a bit with a wrench/spanner and then put the nut back on until it is flush with the end of the bolt. Then use a hammer (brass or rubber) to knock it out.

The more "lube" the better.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

The nut trick is the way to go, I used to put it on backwards lined up with the end to get a bigger surface to hit. Shouldn't be too hard to get out. Be sure to leave the other bolt partially in too so the alignment stays good and reduces friction as it gets banged out.