LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID Headlight/foglight connector review

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight/foglight connector review

Hey all, I know the HID topic has been beaten to death about what color, wattage, glare etc but I wanted to give you guys a product evaluation.

Backstory: Got the H11 DDM kit for my 06 and got 2 male prongs and no other weatherproof connector. Installed them to see how the work but wasn't too keen on using them in the snow/rain and didn't want to wrap them in electrical tape and was definitly worried about blowing them when water got in there.

SO fast forward to Sunday. After looking everywhere; stealer, parts stores, ebay, and not finding anything or anything that looked quality I started the google search of online retailers. Search after search I kept coming back to the same website: http://www.innovativewiring.com/ . They seemed a little pricy but also seemed to have every connector and conversion connectors (9005 to 9006, 9004 to 9005 etc) made. So I decided to order the male H11 connector with and without pigtails (10ga pigtails) at $6ea for the non-pigtail and $6.50ea with pigtails. I ordered both as I wasn't sure if I could use the male prongs with the DDM kits and didn't want to be left stranded.

Got them in today and installed them within minutes of being home. Figured out that the connectors supplied with the DDM kit will not work with the weatherproof connector in the IW.com kit. I had heatshrink tubing and all the other goodies to just cut off the connector off the DDM kit and replaced it with the IW.com kit.

After I figured out what to do, it took me about 10 minutes to make it a totally weatherproof connection that I don't have to worry about. With some searching, my DDM kit is COMPLETLY waterproof and plug & play.

Their site is a little odd, so here is the direct link to the headlight connectors: http://www.innovativewiring.com/Part...tPartsPage.htm

If your like me and want to do it right and don't mind spending the money to do it this place it worth it.

Last edited by whelen1; 10-28-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

good stuff but, for what its worth i live in jersey and it rains or snows constantly and i have yet to have a problem with the ddm kit. ive had them for over a year with no issues.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used dielectric grease on my ddm connections, then wrapped them in plastic wrap and electric tape just to be safe. No issues yet...
Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
good stuff but, for what its worth i live in jersey and it rains or snows constantly and i have yet to have a problem with the ddm kit. ive had them for over a year with no issues.
Yeah, living in RI and traveling to CT & MA on a regular basis I get the same thing. But with my luck and cars SOMETHING would have gone wrong. From what I've read the DDM kits are pretty bulletproof so im not worried, but didn't want to leave that chance.

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
I used dielectric grease on my ddm connections, then wrapped them in plastic wrap and electric tape just to be safe. No issues yet...
On some of my other cars in the past I think I would have done the same exact thing, but I prefer to make the connection look somewhat factory. Plus I feel a little better having the "proper" connector.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the weatherproof connectors with my kit.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you would have purchased a relay harness (which you should have), you would have received a weatherproof H11 (for the fogs) female connector.

Ask for a custom harness: H11 OEM input and two 9006 outputs.

$6.99 shipped (you got hosed). http://cgi.ebay.com/290480722078

I bought two: One standard 9006 for the lows and the custom H11 for the fogs.

Now that I think about it, I don't know how custom the H11 harness is considering all these harnesses output 9006 for HID ballasts. The only difference I see is for the inputs.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXP25
If you would have purchased a relay harness (which you should have), you would have received a weatherproof H11 (for the fogs) female connector.

Ask for a custom harness: H11 OEM input and two 9006 outputs.

$6.99 shipped (you got hosed). http://cgi.ebay.com/290480722078

I bought two: One standard 9006 for the lows and the custom H11 for the fogs.

Now that I think about it, I don't know how custom the H11 harness is considering all these harnesses output 9006 for HID ballasts. The only difference I see is for the inputs.
The issue wasnt the female connectors it was the males on the bulb side, there were no connectors.

And I got screwed on Ebay in the past and only go there are a last ditch effort.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whelen1
The issue wasnt the female connectors it was the males on the bulb side, there were no connectors.

And I got screwed on Ebay in the past and only go there are a last ditch effort.
I just installed DDM Tuning HIDs in my fogs today. Like I said, if you would have bought a harness, you wouldn't have had to deal with this.

The harness outputs two 9006 connectors. One goes into one ballast and the other into the other ballast. Then [only] one H11 connector from your fog light goes into the harness.

The bulbs that DDM Tuning provides would plug right into their harness using the amp connectors:

The male 9006-to-two-male-prongs can be removed. Either by cutting them or simply pulling them through the rubber boot holes.

Mine are sitting in their box and I have great output (4500K, fogs only):

You can only get screwed on eBay if you don't read a listing in its entirety. eBay is buyer-oriented.

I've been on eBay since 1998 and have only been screwed once. It was for a little over $600 and I got it all back via PayPal.

YMMV.

Last edited by GXP25; 10-31-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Word change.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is a little off topic but i recently wired my fog lights so that they turn on when the car is on. I got the idea from how the camaro fog lights are on during the day. i wanted to be able to have them on without actually having my lights on. Also they will be on while my brights are on so i will have more light. I wired them to a switch just in-case i need my lights too be off. But other than that i keep the switch on and when i start my car they come on.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight/foglight connector review