LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Possibly making the Jump

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not just the tranny`s that are garbage, its all the other problems people have including my self that own a gxp
water pumps, battery issues, water leakes, heater core, strut mounting plates, starters, rust, brake problems, not to mention the huge TSB and power steering recall, burns oil, the list could go on and on

the car looks great i know it does but please look elsewhere for a car, take it from a owner of one of these cars to stay far away from them, very far and just drive by it and go ...................ohhhhhh that looks cool...............and keep driving
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Teching In

I wouldn't bat an eye at one of these cars if they do not have a warranty. I only got my GXP because it was certified with 25k miles. If the tranny goes, it goes. I'll be covered so I don't care.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never been a fan of fwd, but this is by far the best car I have ever owned. I love this thing! I think 95% of the people on this site are happy with their car, but there are always going to be some lemons in the group.(side note-76% of the time statistics are made up on the spot) The only thing out there that I would replace it with at this point in my life would be an AWD Trailblazer SS or a G8 GT. But there is a significant price difference. If your getting a warranty why would you worry about the tranny? Mine made it a year with a turbo on it, I think if I would have put a shift kit in, it would still be ok? That being said I would have been smarter to get a TEP trans before the turbo.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

i'm thinking if I get one with a warranty, then if the trans *****, I'll be covered while I save for a built one.

question. If I buy an 07 with a certified warranty, does that mean that the car comes with 5 years/100k miles or does that mean it comes with the remainder of that. So if the car is an 07 and its 4 years old, does it only have one year remaining or does it start with a fresh 5?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
This is completely disingenuous and inaccurate advice.
My bad, I shouldnt have given my personal opinion.

If you buy one of these cars, just be aware that the transmissions obviously have a negative reputation. I was aware of that before I bought mine and bought it anyway, and I dont regret it at all and Im having a blast driving this car daily. And if/when the tranny dies I'll rebuild it with a stronger unit and then I'll spray it and enjoy the car even more.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty (from original in-service date).

Based on that sentence, say a car was built in Feb. 07, does that mean the certified warranty expires in Feb. 2012?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is correct. And the 100k miles is absolute, meaning, you get until the odometer reads 100,000.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

BTW: it goes by original purchase date, not build date.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro69z
I wouldn't bat an eye at one of these cars if they do not have a warranty. I only got my GXP because it was certified with 25k miles. If the tranny goes, it goes. I'll be covered so I don't care.
I would never bat an eye on one of these...period. OP, look elsewhere. Its funny how some talk of crapping trannies like they were a simple brunt fuse.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

That is correct. And the 100k miles is absolute, meaning, you get until the odometer reads 100,000.
thanks. I average about 13k miles a year, so that 5 years would hit before the 100k.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
I would never bat an eye on one of these...period. OP, look elsewhere. Its funny how some talk of crapping trannies like they were a simple brunt fuse.
looks like this guy has hit the nail on the head, im with him look else where i cant wait to dump my gxp, there is ford, dodge, all the imports minus toyota of course, bmw, mercedes, audi, much more better cars out there
Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bdyman
Hey, Chris, long time no see.

He's car is an extreme case, there are a few others, but the trans is the main issue, even then it's not guaranteed it will fail. An awful lot of hate in here, someone needs to have these cars' backs. They are great cars.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
Hey, Chris, long time no see.

He's car is an extreme case, there are a few others, but the trans is the main issue, even then it's not guaranteed it will fail. An awful lot of hate in here, someone needs to have these cars' backs. They are great cars.
I only speak for myself here, but it's not about hate or "having these cars' backs". It's about giving a possible buyer all of the information before he finances several thousands of dollars over multiple years for a car that could cost him thousands more in repairs.

I enjoy my car and love driving, as does my wife who drives it daily. Thankfully, the only major problem we've had is the transmission, but it's happened twice now. And if I was the only one having these problems, then you could say I'm "hating" on these cars. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one, and through some original research of my own, I've learned why these cars have this problem, and I've shared it with the OP.

Not once did I tell him to not buy one of these cars. In fact, it looks like he will get one, and he's going about it the right way with regards to the trans.

Eyes open, my friend, eyes open.

Edit: "Not guaranteed to fail" and "Quite possibly could fail" are two totally different things.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 words...
Preventative Maintenance.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sadden
2 words...
What are you implying here?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sadden
2 words...
As in what? It seems like no matter what people do, its gonna fail, its in the design.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

cooler and shift kit for the trans will extend its life. besides if you drive it like a normal person you shouldnt have any issues. just keep the fluid good and clean. i change mine every 6 months or so because it takes me 20 mins and costs around 100 bux(good fluid and new filter).
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2005gxp
cooler and shift kit for the trans will extend its life. besides if you drive it like a normal person you shouldnt have any issues. just keep the fluid good and clean. i change mine every 6 months or so because it takes me 20 mins and costs around 100 bux(good fluid and new filter).
I agree about the cooler and shift kit, and of course, keeping the fluid fresh is a must.

That said, the problems endemic to our cars have little to do with driving habits., and to claim that "if you drive it like a normal person, and you shouldn't have issues" is a bit of an insult to the great many of us who've had problems and don't mistreat the car, and is quite frankly, horseshit.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont see why theres so much debate and what not involved in all this. the cars are known for tranny issues. put a shift kit in it, tranny cooler, and regular fluid changes. get one with a warranty. once the warranty is up if it blows up get a built trans for it. for what its worth ive had mine for 2.5yrs and i beat the ever loving **** out of it on a daily basis and havent had a major issue yet. i dont know if anyone has any actual figures on how many tranny failures have happened on all the ls4 cars, so everything read on here is hearsay and opinion, not fact. all cars have problems. hell the fbodys had power window motor problems, pop up headlights that would get stuck up, t-tops that leaked. its a car these things happen.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW: it goes by original purchase date, not build date.
Not according to GM: http://www.gmcertified.com/used-car-warranty/5-100

Quick Reply: Possibly making the Jump