LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Possibly making the Jump

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i dont know if anyone has any actual figures on how many tranny failures have happened on all the ls4 cars, so everything read on here is hearsay and opinion, not fact. all cars have problems. hell the fbodys had power window motor problems, pop up headlights that would get stuck up, t-tops that leaked. its a car these things happen.
Seriously...You just tried to compared our transmission problems with F-body window motors, popup headlight issues, and leaky t-tops? It's pretty safe to say that none of those problems cost upwards of $3000 to repair, nor will they leave you stranded anywhere like a trans problem will.

As for the actual figures, I don't know how many failures have occurred with the 40,000+ LS4 cars sold, however, we can document those people who have posted their issues here. So, I've started going back through past threads here and counting all of the members who have had trans problems. And while we can't know how many total members own LS4s, we might be able to get an idea of the scope of this problem.

Here's the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...nt-thread.html

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 01-03-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
From your link:

And that's not all. We also give you 24-hour roadside assistance and courtesy transportation for the life of your 5-Year/100,000-Mile2 Powertrain Limited Warranty (from original in-service date). GM Certified Used Vehicles stands behind its vehicles 100%.

Original in-service date is original purchase date, not the build date.

My car was built in 9/2005 and was purchased by the original owner on 11/22/2005. The service writer who handled my second tranny job showed me on the GM system that my Certified Powertrain Warranty was going to expire on 11/22/10..About a week after the date I picked the car up.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
From your link:

And that's not all. We also give you 24-hour roadside assistance and courtesy transportation for the life of your 5-Year/100,000-Mile2 Powertrain Limited Warranty (from original in-service date). GM Certified Used Vehicles stands behind its vehicles 100%.

Original in-service date is original purchase date, not the build date.

My car was built in 9/2005 and was purchased by the original owner on 11/22/2005. The service writer who handled my second tranny job showed me on the GM system that my Certified Powertrain Warranty was going to expire on 11/22/10..About a week after the date I picked the car up.
I posted that on page 2. I guess I didn't realize it was a reply to GreenBlood.

The confusion came from the term "original in-service date" which I alluded to build date.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Its gonna be your DD,so buy what makes you happy.Me I'm a family man and had to get rid of my 3rd gen and got my first W-body (04 imp Ls) had problems with that tranny but roliin on dubs didn't help either,miss hearing a V-8 and traded up for the (08 impSS).Knowing the problems with the trannies,I still went ahead and got another W-body a didn't look back when signing my life away for another 5 more yrs.

There great family cars IMO,with a V-8 that produces decent power for being FWD.I've owned mine for a little over 2yrs now,got it pre-owned with just shy of 9k mile if I remember right.Didn't mod it a lot till half-way thru last yr,headers,exhaust,started to beat the hell out of it(never seen the track) and my problems started to happen(clunking when putting into gear,slipping,then rev really high before kickin into gear,then died on me about a wk or 2 ago).But I do at least 2-3 burn outs a day,LOL wonder why it died on me sooo fast.

Its a love hate relationship,with the W bodies LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Seriously...You just tried to compared our transmission problems with F-body window motors, popup headlight issues, and leaky t-tops? It's pretty safe to say that none of those problems cost upwards of $3000 to repair, nor will they leave you stranded anywhere like a trans problem will.

As for the actual figures, I don't know how many failures have occurred with the 40,000+ LS4 cars sold, however, we can document those people who have posted their issues here. So, I've started going back through past threads here and counting all of the members who have had trans problems. And while we can't know how many total members own LS4s, we might be able to get an idea of the scope of this problem.

Here's the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...nt-thread.html
yeah seriously. that just happened. i wasnt comparing the cost of the failure, or whether you could still drive the car. its a known issue as the others that i mentioned are, hence the comparison. its all well and good that you started another thread on transmission issues, but it proves nothing other than the fact that the trans in the vehicle is a problem, which we already know. the numbers you pull from that dont really prove anything, because its not a true representation of transmission failures of total ls4 powered cars, its not even a true representation of ls4 owners on this forum with trans problems(plenty of lurkers or non active members). at the end of the day we will most probably never know what the actual failure percentage is, and even if we did its obviously to late for us not to buy the car(honestly it wouldnt deter me from making the purchase even if i did know the precentage.). i personally dont have a transmission problem yet, but am prepared for one when it comes around, as should the op if he purchases one of these. thats what this thread was about. purchasing an ls4. the op has been given plenty of facts, and plenty of opinions to base his decision on. my personal opinion is that i like the ls4. its a good daily driver, fuel mileage is poor in town but better than my 80, power is decent, and the car looks good enough. it has a couple known problems, but nothing to run away from screaming as long as you have a warranty, or the money to repair out of pocket. OP good luck with your purchase. LS1 Racing good luck with your research.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
yeah seriously. that just happened. i wasnt comparing the cost of the failure, or whether you could still drive the car. its a known issue as the others that i mentioned are, hence the comparison. its all well and good that you started another thread on transmission issues, but it proves nothing other than the fact that the trans in the vehicle is a problem, which we already know. the numbers you pull from that dont really prove anything, because its not a true representation of transmission failures of total ls4 powered cars, its not even a true representation of ls4 owners on this forum with trans problems(plenty of lurkers or non active members). at the end of the day we will most probably never know what the actual failure percentage is, and even if we did its obviously to late for us not to buy the car(honestly it wouldnt deter me from making the purchase even if i did know the precentage.). i personally dont have a transmission problem yet, but am prepared for one when it comes around, as should the op if he purchases one of these. thats what this thread was about. purchasing an ls4. the op has been given plenty of facts, and plenty of opinions to base his decision on. my personal opinion is that i like the ls4. its a good daily driver, fuel mileage is poor in town but better than my 80, power is decent, and the car looks good enough. it has a couple known problems, but nothing to run away from screaming as long as you have a warranty, or the money to repair out of pocket. OP good luck with your purchase. LS1 Racing good luck with your research.
I completely agree with everything here.

Yes, the other thread will be inaccurate but it will be much more accurate than the "no data" we have now. The idea behind it was to see just how widespread this problem is, and I have to say, I was a bit shocked at the results, so far.

The OP does have all the info he needs now, and it seems he still wants an LS4 and is planning for a trans rebuild. Good call on his part!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

most definitely needed. i didnt look at the thread to deeply, but perhaps if its not on there you should include owners maintenance, and driving style.

Quick Reply: Possibly making the Jump