LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Finally got my Impala back with TEP transmission upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Finally got my Impala back with TEP transmission upgrades!

Got the Impala back!!

If you want details as to what was done, and why, please take a look at https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...e-project.html

After 1 month to the day, I finally got to pick up the Impala. Due to weather, slow shipping from the midwest (remember, we had shitty weather in December), and the flu bug at Reb's, my car took a lot longer than expected. And there was little bit of drama, too. During the drive home, I noticed some TCC oscillation while cruising level highway, as well as on hills. As it turns out, the wrong trans fluid was used, so I had to drive the whole 100 miles again (200, roundtrip) back to Reb's so Brian could flush it and replace with the right stuff. Problem solved!

Anyway, on to the details!

As I outlined in previous threads, I got a GM SERTA trans right before my 5 year powertrain warranty expired in late November. The TEP upgrades recommended by Dave showed up in mid-December. After being frightened by Dave's warnings about what GM passes off as a remanufactured transmission, I expected my "new" one to have issues, too. As it turns out, the trans was in great condition, with no material in the pan or valve body. Clutches and steels looked good, too. Brian installed the TransGo shift kit on the #2 setting, reassembled the TEP-modded valve body, adjusted the clearance in the 2-3 clutch pack, and put the trans and new Precision Industries converter back in the car.

How does it drive? It absolutely transformed the car.

Up-shifts are much quicker than before, but without being harsh. The 4-2 downshift is extremely quick, giving the car a very sharp feel on the highway. The sloppy feel I used to get while driving in town is completely gone, and the car feels sharper off idle. Remember, I went with a tighter converter than stock, and it seems to have improved drivability noticeably. I have to admit that I never really had fun driving this car before, mostly because of the sloppy feel. Well, I really enjoyed the drive home, because the car drove a lot more like my old automatic 2000 Z28, rather than the sedan I've tolerated for the last year-and-a-half.

Now, most of the mods were done to prevent the transmission problems that seem to plague our cars. And so, we won't know if we were successful for at least a few months. Since our Impala gets about 4000 miles a month, we should know a lot more by the middle to end of this year. I can tell you (and this is probably some sort of placebo effect), the trans no longer "feels" weak, if that makes sense. It may be my imagination, but when you get rid of the long, sloppy shifts, you can't help but have more confidence.

I'll update when I know more.

Mileage when I picked the car: 87,732
Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the 1-2 shift?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear, hopefully the wrong fluid won't have any adverse effects in the long run. Good thing you caught it! What was the total cost in parts?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

My trans is next. I've got gears, valvebody upgrades and diff. Bunch of other stuff from my transgo shift kit too. I'm anxiously waiting too install this stuff, but Its too Dam cold for my old bones. If I was younger then I would probably being wearing a shirt. Anyhow (rant?) After, Talking to Dave and learning about how loose are 2nd clutch pack is I'm really wanting go tear into this thing. I mean, I can install what I have but to me its not good enough. Keep us posted I'm excited for you and I need like 5 grand and a battery. Boo....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

how much did you tighten the converter , how is the dod change or do you still have and im glad you seem happy with the car now you deserve it
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
How is the 1-2 shift?
Under normal driving, its quicker and a little more firm than stock. Under heavy throttle, its very sharp and gives you a nice shove.

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Good to hear, hopefully the wrong fluid won't have any adverse effects in the long run. Good thing you caught it! What was the total cost in parts?
I've become so sensitive to what the transmission is doing, the oscillation was very obvious.
Had I not bartered for the parts with a good 4T65-HD core, the cost for the valve body, seal kit, converter relief valve, and converter would have been about $580, plus $50 core for the converter.

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
My trans is next. I've got gears, valvebody upgrades and diff. Bunch of other stuff from my transgo shift kit too. I'm anxiously waiting too install this stuff, but Its too Dam cold for my old bones. If I was younger then I would probably being wearing a shirt. Anyhow (rant?) After, Talking to Dave and learning about how loose are 2nd clutch pack is I'm really wanting go tear into this thing. I mean, I can install what I have but to me its not good enough. Keep us posted I'm excited for you and I need like 5 grand and a battery. Boo....
Definitely...The biggest difference of all is the 2-3 shift. No doubt, the tightened clearance in the clutch pack really helped it out.

Originally Posted by evil 5.3
how much did you tighten the converter , how is the dod change or do you still have and im glad you seem happy with the car now you deserve it
Thanks, evil.

This converter stalls a few hundred RPM less than what I had before.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear everything is up to par with the new trans,keep me updated with your input along the way.Since I've been driving the G6,I've been debaiting on swapping cars with wife meaning I won't have a car note next yr and I could probably get my F-body sooner.Meaning ill just do the same upgrade you did,and not worry about the trans going out on me after a few BURN outs
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Glad to hear everything is up to par with the new trans,keep me updated with your input along the way.Since I've been driving the G6,I've been debaiting on swapping cars with wife meaning I won't have a car note next yr and I could probably get my F-body sooner.Meaning ill just do the same upgrade you did,and not worry about the trans going out on me after a few BURN outs
The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that you're having problems now. I'm hopeful that I'll be okay because my transmission was in good shape to begin with. The modded valve body and seal kit should prevent these problems from happening again, however, if your trans already has problems, then the damage is done. You might want to call Brian @ Rebs and see what he'd charge just to open up the trans and see what's broken. You can then decide what would be needed in terms of a rebuild.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that you're having problems now. I'm hopeful that I'll be okay because my transmission was in good shape to begin with. The modded valve body and seal kit should prevent these problems from happening again, however, if your trans already has problems, then the damage is done. You might want to call Brian @ Rebs and see what he'd charge just to open up the trans and see what's broken. You can then decide what would be needed in terms of a rebuild.
That's ture,I might drive it as far as I can and get towed the rest of the way so it is cheapier.I went out last night to check the trans fluid,to my eyes I don't see any shavings or anything of that nature but it sure smell burnt.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have to take out the trans to replace the valve body i want to have a tep valve body put in my trans but im not gonna spend the $$$$ to have a trans shipped 2100 miles but i have yet to find out if i can swap it while in the car
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

i believe you have to drop the cradle.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
do you have to take out the trans to replace the valve body i want to have a tep valve body put in my trans but im not gonna spend the $$$$ to have a trans shipped 2100 miles but i have yet to find out if i can swap it while in the car
Originally Posted by LS4_SS
i believe you have to drop the cradle.
You can access the valve body without pulling the trans, but to get it (and the channel plate) out, the trans needs to come out.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Glad to hear you are finally happy with that car, Mike!

I could probably get my F-body sooner.
You know you want it Never look back!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Thanks, Nick.

Have you modded your WS6 yet?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, Nick.

Have you modded your WS6 yet?
It came with a built suspension, trans, and rear end when I bought it. About 5k in BMR/UMI suspension parts, gears, converter, shift kit, and trans cooler. Power mods were lid/filter, borla catback, cutout, and tune.

So far I have sitting in my room awaiting install: Hooker LTs and catted y, an UD pulley, 85mm maf, and a wet shot plate kit. After I install all of that this week, it's going in for a re-tune.

It's an addiction.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know you want it Never look back!
Yes,I really do want one BADD!!!Really thinking of swapping cars with my lady and get that G6 paid off by next Feb.Came across a 95 Z28 for 5k but it was beat up pretty bad,reason why they wanted so much was it had 20's.Rims are probably worth more then the car it self,HAHA

It came with a built suspension, trans, and rear end when I bought it. About 5k in BMR/UMI suspension parts, gears, converter, shift kit, and trans cooler. Power mods were lid/filter, borla catback, cutout, and tune.

So far I have sitting in my room awaiting install: Hooker LTs and catted y, an UD pulley, 85mm maf, and a wet shot plate kit. After I install all of that this week, it's going in for a re-tune.

It's an addiction.
Sounds like she'll be running like a champ,Can we get a few pics of her so far?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

It's an addiction.
Your kind of car...Lots of handling! Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad it all worked out for you. The car feels much better doesn't it? I've had my TEP trans. in for about 7 or 8 months and it stiil feels as good as it did when I put it in.

-Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes,I really do want one BADD!!!Really thinking of swapping cars with my lady and get that G6 paid off by next Feb.Came across a 95 Z28 for 5k but it was beat up pretty bad,reason why they wanted so much was it had 20's.Rims are probably worth more then the car it self,HAHA

Sounds like she'll be running like a champ,Can we get a few pics of her so far?
I wouldn't mess with a LT1. It's LS1 or nothing. I have to do the official Nacho shoot when I get some time, but its tough when you took on another job and are working 7 days a week .
Your kind of car...Lots of handling! Can't wait to see the pics!
Yeah she handles beautifully. It's very much akin to how the monte carlo was setup, stiff and low, just without the understeer .

We'll have to set up another West Coast LS4 cruise in the spring.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't mess with a LT1. It's LS1 or nothing. I have to do the official Nacho shoot when I get some time, but its tough when you took on another job and are working 7 days a week .

Yeah she handles beautifully. It's very much akin to how the monte carlo was setup, stiff and low, just without the understeer .

We'll have to set up another West Coast LS4 cruise in the spring.
Best believe an LS1 would get dropped in,hell even if I came up on another 3rd gen it would have an LS1 swap.

I'm down for another cruise,by then the Imp should be running top notch

Quick Reply: Finally got my Impala back with TEP transmission upgrades!