LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
David gxp, maybe I dont get it... you keep saying the LS4 pcv is in the intake?
The LS4 has an integerated PCV system built into the front end of the rear valve cover, it is a non serviceable unit. The vacum source is from the LS4 intake manifold.

I have diagrams of the vacum connection at a fitting just behind the throttle body and also another application showing it at the nipple atop the LS4 intake.
Also some of these engines came with a vented oil filler cap and others did not have the vented cap, the vented one is directional.. outside air in.
hope this helps...
I always thought it was apart of the intake manifold, but after looking at the pics, it is clear to me now that it is not. This just makes the swap that much more easier
Thanks for clearing this up for me!
Now.. If I only had a way to start this thing up without having to have a tuner out here. The DOD sensor is long gone. I welded the hole in the valley cover shut so I have to get tuned, just to check everything over. I wish there was a way to simulate the sensor being plugged in
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

This news makes me so damn happy. Not gonna lie.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I read here, you only removed the oil pressure sensor and the vacum booster sensor, if this is so and only these two sensors were removed then reinstall the vac booster sensor and find and alternat position for the oil pressure sensor. Or plug it in to the harness and apply 65psi to the sensor side. then run it as if the car is normal, it will run in 8 in neutral or park up to the rev limiter 3500 rpm , unless you changed it!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

From what I read here, you only removed the oil pressure sensor and the vacum booster sensor, if this is so and only these two sensors were removed then reinstall the vac booster sensor and find and alternat position for the oil pressure sensor. Or plug it in to the harness and apply 65psi to the sensor side. then run it as if the car is normal, it will run in 8 in neutral or park up to the rev limiter 3500 rpm , unless you changed it!
Oil pressure sensor is plugged in. I removed the dod tray connecter that goes under the intake manifold and actuates the dod solenoids. I unplugged the power brake booser vacuum sensor as well.
My engine starts up just fine and then goes into V4 at idle. The engine idles at 700 rpm and pulls some serious vacuum in 4 banger mode. Dashhawk shows 56kpa vacuum and 54% load.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hookup/plug in the vac sensor there is no need for removing that, it is used for other system calculations also...
As forthe Dod plug yesit cannot be left undone, unless the DOD system is turned off in the computer.
do you have a tune in it now , if so what tuning system have you used?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

hookup/plug in the vac sensor there is no need for removing that, it is used for other system calculations also...
As forthe Dod plug yesit cannot be left undone, unless the DOD system is turned off in the computer.
do you have a tune in it now , if so what tuning system have you used?
I was tuned way back in the day. We kept the dod functioning, obviously.
I will plug the vacuum sensor back in but I can't plug the dod connector in cause I welded the hole in the tray up. I've got a guy in mind for tuning but he wants me to tow my car.
My best bet is to find another connector and open that hole back up. I had the DOD plug all ready to go but my buddy talked me out of re installing it so I tossed it I need a mobile tuner buddy! I don't feel like spending 1 grand on software, just to be "all lost in the sauce" man. If I got it running I could drive it out to him.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone close to you with a Trinity or Predator(7191)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

anyone close to you with a Trinity or Predator(7191)
Not that I know of. So no..
Can somebody ship me one?

Aren't the handheld tuners VIN specific?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only while they are loaded to that car. Once you/they restore the original backup it is free to use on another car.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Default From Haynes Repair Book

see attached, PVC system inclues tubing from fresh air intake to front valve cover. Air mixes with crankcase gases, exits rear valve cover (by alternator) goes through a tube that contains the PCV valve in it to the top of the intake manifold which has a fixed oriffice.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-ls4a.jpg   LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-ls4.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Tappeter, the pict portrays the 05/06 intake, remember the 07+ are different.

Davidgxp, what has happened here is the 4 fuel injectors for DOD/AFM have been turned off by the ECM, it is not the lifters that are causing the problem. The VLOM has solinoids that are naturally closed, the problem you are encountering has to do with the connector for the VLOM.
The connector has 5 pins A,B,C,D are for each solenoid ECM controlled ground. Pin E is ignition voltage (PK/BK wire color)

The only foolproof way I know is to turn the DOD off completely in the ECM. You may be able to get a predator7191 for cheap, but be careful if it is used. New they are like 299.00 (NEW) and a must have (min) The trinity would do you better!
Even if you manage to get it running by a wiring work around you may have to add/ pull timing, fuel, etc... to keep it running till you can data log and/or tune.
Then you can find a CMR dealer for your tune and it can still be returned to stock or modified by you at anytime.
Also LEW (06montess) may be able to assist you with a custom tune if your data is not too far outa wack.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Your right on the money about the injectors not firing. I shall look around for a cheap hand held. Can somebody get a hold of Lew for me, and send him my direction? I'll Try to pm him later on today. My only concern is that I can't fiddle with the transmission. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

I would still like to figure out how the computer knows the dod is unplugged.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

If I was to buy a u719 used. Is it model specific? Bunch of ls2 u719 forsake so how does this work?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Like Ill Born SS said, The connector to the DOD solenoids has +12V and then low side control connections for each solenoid. That +12 is supplied to each solenoid, and the ECU can then pull the low side to ground (using what's called a low side driver (LSD), it sinks current).

I'll try not to get too engineer on you. The solenoids have inductive coils in them which have a significant resistance. By using the LSD to just blip the solenoid, you can check the resistance without actuating it. It's a fairly easy diagnostic to implement, and becuase it would effect emissions if something went wrong it is a diagnostic that has to be run by law.

So why assume DOD is active? Well, if you didn't and there was a short in the wire that was grounding (thus turning on) one of the DOD lifters (on meaning no lift), then fuel would be injected onto a closed valve every two rotations. After a little bit, you'd have a decent puddle of gas in there that could do all sorts of nasty things. So, the safe bet is to turn off all the DOD injectors if you don't know what state those solenoids are in.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Your the man.. too, Nmp!
Info like this is what makes this site rock.

I'm searching for a hand held I just need to get my hands on one so I can turn the freaking dod off! I'll have to see what Lew, can do for me after I get it going on sll 8. If he can't do much then I'll take it in to get tuned.
Air intake should be here sometime next week.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well guys.. I ordered the Predator U7191 and USB U7778. Everything should be here sometime around 26th-27th. I'll download the high octane non DOD program. Hopefully, I won't have any issuses with my install.
I have contacted Lew, and have downloaded everything that was on his site.

I HATE WAITING FOR PARTS!!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Yes.. I know he trinity is better!! I'll look into once the trans support gets released. I have a MSD Dashawk for the time being. S,o I have no need for the trinity at this time.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Looks better then stock

New fuel line location with LS6 fuel rail

I dont' think aftermarket rails will clear. Rear hump was cut off, of the bracket for clearance.

OPSU angled

Last edited by DavidGXP; 01-23-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Lookin good! I've been away for a while, busy building a house (with a BIG garage!). I may not be following this quite correctly, but am I correct in thinking you are trying to make the computer stay out of DOD by disconnecting the brake booster sensor? If I recall correctly, just unplugging it freaks the computer out. I had to bypass mine with a resistor that lowered the voltage just enough to fool the ecu into turning off DOD.
either way looks like are tuning it out right anyway.

Quick Reply: LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?