LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?

LS1 intake, LS6 injectors, Stock valley cover with opsu mod, stock airbox with super crap angle going into the throttle body. I'm using a 1/2 tb adapter.

Engine fired right up and was kind of pissed of for a few mins. No vacuum leaks. Only problem is that my engine doesnt want to rev. I can barely get it to hit 5k and it takes forever. Is this a tuning issue? Feels like its in 4 cylinder mode which its not cause I removed the PB vacuum sensor and the DOD connector. I think that my intake elbow is throwing the Maf way off due to its extrem angle. Any tunners wanna chime in? I was thinking that my car would still be driveable. Not!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely not right. I was running fine, just really rich after the swap. Reduce the angle and see what happens. Sounds like it may be choking it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

your maf, VE and injector tables are off. The injectors are hurting you the most. I would have tuned the VE and maf, then swapped injectors to eliminate that variable.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks JDMC5
I'm stuck in 4 Banger mode. I unplugged the dod connector so I am throwing 3401,3425,3441,3449 code. I guess the computer limps into 4 cylinder mode. No fuel or spark. I've got a tuner coming over once I get my air intake ducting squared away. Its way worse then nate's car was, due to my thick *** adapter. My tuner wants to redo the map tables or something like that. He needs the car for s few days.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

When I swapped intake manifolds I didn't change injectors. I only changed them after the cam, and that brought a whole world of hurt because our ECMs apparently handle fuel pressure and flow rate calculations a bit different than the other DOD/AFM and non-DOD/AFM cars. The change in the elbow and thick adapter are hurting your tune without a doubt, but that is compounded by the injectors. They flow about the same as ours, but all of the offsets and adders are different because they are physically different. Generally, the best practice is considered to be using some known good fuel injector data (say from an LS6 Vette) and tuning MAF and VE to get the commanded AFR.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Thanks JDMC5
I'm stuck in 4 Banger mode. I unplugged the dod connector so I am throwing 3401,3425,3441,3449 code. I guess the computer limps into 4 cylinder mode. No fuel or spark. I've got a tuner coming over once I get my air intake ducting squared away. Its way worse then nate's car was, due to my thick *** adapter. My tuner wants to redo the map tables or something like that. He needs the car for s few days.

Yea I tried to do the same thing when I put my LS6 intake on. You have to have the DOD connector properly wired and connected with a stock tune otherwise it is automatically in V-4 mode.

I started mine with the DOD connector not connected and immediately could tell it wasn't right.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to physically turn the DOD off in the tune/computer, then it will run on 8 always.... and you dont have to disconnect anything. You need oil pressure sensor it is used for more than oil press and DOD, and you need the booster vac sensor same goes for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
You have to physically turn the DOD off in the tune/computer, then it will run on 8 always.... and you dont have to disconnect anything. You need oil pressure sensor it is used for more than oil press and DOD, and you need the booster vac sensor same goes for it.
What else is the OPSU used for?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

off the top of my head ... when to activate V7mode, activete/deactivate V4 mode, limp mode ,abuse mode, oil life system (Oil pressure/specific gravity)conjunction. I would have to look up more, sometimers is present!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andrew91PGT
Yea I tried to do the same thing when I put my LS6 intake on. You have to have the DOD connector properly wired and connected with a stock tune otherwise it is automatically in V-4 mode.

I started mine with the DOD connector not connected and immediately could tell it wasn't right.
This is what I wanna hear. I'm going to have a tuner come out once I get my cold air intake kit. AG has done the swap with the connector disconnected and he was fine with dod tuned out. So.. everything should be fine once I get tuned (fingers crossed) Just sucks cause I cant go over everything till I get a tuner out here.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody have any PCV valve solutions?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Anybody have any PCV valve solutions?
Yes, if you don't have a catch can, get one now! It's unreal how much oil mist will enter back into the engine!

As far as a vacuum source I used the factory ls6 intake nipple for the pcv, and drilled and tapped my TB adapter for the brake booster vacuum source.

If you don't have a thick enough adapter plate to do that, then look at a 4-6-8 cylinder fox body mustang vacuum block. You can run the ls6 intake vacuum source to that vacuum block and tee both the brake booster and pcv to that.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Here is a bad picture but you can see my adapter plate (Thanks to Brian396!) is thick enough for the MAP and the brake booster vacuum source.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-image_139.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Here is a bad picture but you can see my adapter plate (Thanks to Brian396!) is thick enough for the MAP and the brake booster vacuum source.
Thanks for the pic, and I will get a catch can. I am well aware of the oil coated intake manifold that I have pulled off 3 times now LOL.
So are you running the LS6 PCV valve into a catch can from the intake nipple?
I've got my PB hose going from the intake to booster (I drilled out the stock nipple and tapped the hole and installed a 11/32 fitting) and my PCV going from my tapped tb adapter to the rear valve cover without a valve cause I do not know what to do/use
Nice install BTW! I thought about putting my MAP sensor up front too. I put it in the rear where I can't get to it without pulling the intake
Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pic, and I will get a catch can. I am well aware of the oil coated intake manifold that I have pulled off 3 times now LOL.
So are you running the LS6 PCV valve into a catch can from the intake nipple?
I've got my PB hose going from the intake to booster (I drilled out the stock nipple and tapped the hole and installed a 11/32 fitting) and my PCV going from my tapped tb adapter to the rear valve cover without a valve cause I do not know what to do/use
Nice install BTW! I thought about putting my MAP sensor up front too. I put it in the rear where I can't get to it without pulling the intake
I'm using the stock LS4 PCV system (I think its just built in the rear valve cover) through a catch can and to the intake.

Yea, I wanted the MAP where I can see and get to it
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

I'm using the stock LS4 PCV system (I think its just built in the rear valve cover) through a catch can and to the intake.

Yea, I wanted the MAP where I can see and get to it
So all a I need is a catch can. The Stock LS4 PCV is built into the intake manifold.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

So all a I need is a catch can. The Stock LS4 PCV is built into the intake manifold.

Check it out. Just for me and you I destroyed my stock ls4 intake because I don't like the idea of not having a pcv valve if I had one before...

Look at the pictures. That nipple on top of the intake is just that, there is no actual valve, so you and I can rest easy now....
Attached Thumbnails LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-image_140.jpg   LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-image_141.jpg   LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-image_142.jpg   LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-image_143.jpg   LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?-image_144.jpg  

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

This is good news. From What I've read, its in the intake. Funny pics man. Just what were you going to you with it? LOL. Destroyed the crap out of that manifold.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

This?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

David gxp, maybe I dont get it... you keep saying the LS4 pcv is in the intake?
The LS4 has an integerated PCV system built into the front end of the rear valve cover, it is a non serviceable unit. The vacum source is from the LS4 intake manifold.

I have diagrams of the vacum connection at a fitting just behind the throttle body and also another application showing it at the nipple atop the LS4 intake.
Also some of these engines came with a vented oil filler cap and others did not have the vented cap, the vented one is directional.. outside air in.
hope this helps...

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 01-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 intake installed engine runs but.. Tuning?