Notices
LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

6T75 6 speed conversion

 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 AM
  #81  
Launching!
 
TrueBlueGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 277
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have someone who is willing and interested in an LS4 for his kit car, hopefully we can justify and fit in the budget a testing of the 6T75 with it.
TrueBlueGTO is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
  #82  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
GXP25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,392
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ProCompSolutions View Post
E67 as in from say my 08 GXP? Im in... What do i have to do... As im sick in tired of the trans in my car.
Get with TrueBlueGTO as I'm sure he'll be able to accommodate you.

I just hope you're close to New Jersey.
GXP25 is offline  
Old 02-10-2015, 04:47 PM
  #83  
Teching In
 
LazerBlue07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Parts Unknown, NJ
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I for one am still interested in this, but am looking at the 6T70. Isn't the 6T75 a little bit bigger than the 70 for a W-body???

I would be up for this, but i would need the new trans first, the spacer plate and the starter bracket first wouldn't I??? Would love to get and have something better than the 4T65E in our cars, and hope to avoid having to go the TEP Stage 2 route for what i want to do with mine...
LazerBlue07SS is offline  
Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 PM
  #84  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
91parkave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This mod is still plenty doable the best thing is I think the 6t75 is a standard bellhousing pattern which means any LS motor could make its way in a Wbody we all know the 6xx series will work in a Wbody since the 12+ impalas came with them from the factory.
91parkave is offline  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 PM
  #85  
On The Tree
 
CrimsonGXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sartell, MN
Posts: 138
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I cant even imagine how an ls4 would do with a 6 speed. I would die to get one swapped into my gxp! Im sure she would roast the tires even easier than it does already Especially with shorter gears. Maybe the 3.69s or 3.73s.
CrimsonGXP is offline  
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM
  #86  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
LS1 Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: 7814′46″N 1527′56″E
Posts: 2,415
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 91parkave View Post
This mod is still plenty doable the best thing is I think the 6t75 is a standard bellhousing pattern which means any LS motor could make its way in a Wbody we all know the 6xx series will work in a Wbody since the 12+ impalas came with them from the factory.
I think the programming is the final hurdle to making this swap work, and for the reasons you mention above.
LS1 Racing is offline  
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 PM
  #87  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
91parkave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing View Post
I think the programming is the final hurdle to making this swap work, and for the reasons you mention above.
Well the good thing is we already have T42 Trans controllers which also control the 6t75 so some minor wiring and software change and it should work
91parkave is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 03:47 PM
  #88  
Teching In
 
LazerBlue07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Parts Unknown, NJ
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So there's a certain model 6t70/5 i would need for use in my Impala? And is the T42 controller the same in mine, or is mine in my '07 a different model/number???

Trying to weigh my options, and see which I'd be better off with - a built TEP trans for the 300 whp project i am looking at doing, or trying my luck with the 6T70/5...
LazerBlue07SS is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 04:36 PM
  #89  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This would be really cool if we could ever get it working.
The gains in acceleration and mileage on the highway would be pretty good for a project like this.

I have an Allure (Lacrosse) Super now and I know a new transmission is in my future no matter what; it would be worth paying for a more modern 6-speed over a re-built 4 in my mind..
Mike The Canadian is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 07:59 PM
  #90  
On The Tree
 
CrimsonGXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sartell, MN
Posts: 138
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian View Post
This would be really cool if we could ever get it working.
The gains in acceleration and mileage on the highway would be pretty good for a project like this.

I have an Allure (Lacrosse) Super now and I know a new transmission is in my future no matter what; it would be worth paying for a more modern 6-speed over a re-built 4 in my mind..
Thats what I was thinking. The acceleration with shorter gearing would make our cars rockets. A 6 speed with some 373s would be awesome and way more enjoyable to drive
CrimsonGXP is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 PM
  #91  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CrimsonGXP View Post
Thats what I was thinking. The acceleration with shorter gearing would make our cars rockets. A 6 speed with some 373s would be awesome and way more enjoyable to drive
I'd run drag radials for summer tires
Mike The Canadian is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 AM
  #92  
On The Tree
 
CrimsonGXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sartell, MN
Posts: 138
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian View Post
I'd run drag radials for summer tires
Thats always an option! I just wish it was a manual 6 speed instead of an auto
CrimsonGXP is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM
  #93  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
GXP25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,392
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 91parkave View Post
Well the good thing is we already have T42 Trans controllers which also control the 6t75 so some minor wiring and software change and it should work
No, the new six speeds have the T43 which is located inside of the transaxle.

Programming for this has already been taken care of and this transaxle can handle an LS2 without issue.
GXP25 is offline  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 PM
  #94  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
No, the new six speeds have the T43 which is located inside of the transaxle.

Programming for this has already been taken care of and this transaxle can handle an LS2 without issue.
So there shouldn't be any issues with this swap?
Mike The Canadian is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 AM
  #95  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Sorry to be a nag, but if there are no programming issues or power handling issues does anyone have any details or links to where we could get what we need?

If there are truly no programming issues all you'd need are mounts, programming, possibly custom axles, and a plate to adapt to the ls4 pattern and house a starter?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike The Canadian is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 PM
  #96  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: S. FL to Philly ??
Posts: 382
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Seems the real barrier is the width - there is very little room left in the LS4 W body engine bay, so adding 2.5" for the trans plus an adapter plate would mean sectioning frame rails and/or strut towers.

Would be cool though..
x11 nut is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 PM
  #97  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 655
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian View Post
Sorry to be a nag, but if there are no programming issues or power handling issues does anyone have any details or links to where we could get what we need?

If there are truly no programming issues all you'd need are mounts, programming, possibly custom axles, and a plate to adapt to the ls4 pattern and house a starter?

Thanks,

Mike
Here is where a guy working for PCS (Powertrain Contol Systems) did a LS2/6T75 swap in the back of a fiero... He uses a PCS controller for the transmission, not the stock GM ECM.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000136.html

Also, the LS4 bolts directly to the 6T75 w/o needing any adapter plate.

Even if you go the same route, the LS4 ecm calibrations are auto only, which means they have to keep their TCM's (or you can try setting the Manual Transmission flag in the calibration and see what it does). This means the P/N start interlock is within the TCM and it communicated that signal to the ECM via the high speed GM LAN wires. Also, the VSS is wired directly to the TCM and it sends the vehicle speed info to the ECM over the GM LAN wires as well. The guy running the 6T75 with the LS2 is using a factory Manual transmission calibration for the LS2 engine, so he can wire the P/N and VSS directly to the ECM

If the Manual transmission flag allows a P/N and VSS signal to be wired direct to the ECM, then that would greatly simplify things. But unfortunately, no one has confirmed what happens with you set this flag on an LS4 calibration (E40 or E67).

If you have to turn off the DTC for the 4T65e-hd, then you will need to find someone with TunerCat as HP Tuners does not have access to most of the Transmission DTCs in the LS4 calibrations.

So I would say it is premature to state that the wiring/programing issues have been figured out for the LS4/6T75 swap.

For my 6 speed manual transmission LS4 swap (also in a Fiero), I kept the TCM and did some hard wiring and resistor work to get as many of the signals as possible to be within the expected range. I still had 2 DTC from the missing transmission, so I had them turned off by a guy with TunerCat.

Last edited by fieroguru; 03-10-2015 at 11:37 PM.
fieroguru is offline  
Old 03-25-2015, 06:24 PM
  #98  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the link!
Read through the whole thing and it looks like doing this swap first would be a long-drawn out process that may not necessarily be successful.

First gear also looks bad enough on a Fiero, can't imagine how it would be in a FWD where the weight squats to the rear pretty good!

If someone had this done/documented I'd be much more willing.

Here's hoping that this does indeed happen one day (hopefully before my 4T45E blows).

Originally Posted by fieroguru View Post
Here is where a guy working for PCS (Powertrain Contol Systems) did a LS2/6T75 swap in the back of a fiero... He uses a PCS controller for the transmission, not the stock GM ECM.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000136.html

Also, the LS4 bolts directly to the 6T75 w/o needing any adapter plate.

Even if you go the same route, the LS4 ecm calibrations are auto only, which means they have to keep their TCM's (or you can try setting the Manual Transmission flag in the calibration and see what it does). This means the P/N start interlock is within the TCM and it communicated that signal to the ECM via the high speed GM LAN wires. Also, the VSS is wired directly to the TCM and it sends the vehicle speed info to the ECM over the GM LAN wires as well. The guy running the 6T75 with the LS2 is using a factory Manual transmission calibration for the LS2 engine, so he can wire the P/N and VSS directly to the ECM

If the Manual transmission flag allows a P/N and VSS signal to be wired direct to the ECM, then that would greatly simplify things. But unfortunately, no one has confirmed what happens with you set this flag on an LS4 calibration (E40 or E67).

If you have to turn off the DTC for the 4T65e-hd, then you will need to find someone with TunerCat as HP Tuners does not have access to most of the Transmission DTCs in the LS4 calibrations.

So I would say it is premature to state that the wiring/programing issues have been figured out for the LS4/6T75 swap.

For my 6 speed manual transmission LS4 swap (also in a Fiero), I kept the TCM and did some hard wiring and resistor work to get as many of the signals as possible to be within the expected range. I still had 2 DTC from the missing transmission, so I had them turned off by a guy with TunerCat.
Mike The Canadian is offline  
Old 03-25-2015, 10:21 PM
  #99  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
91parkave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Fiero how was it possible a ls2 and ls4 both bolt up to the same 6t75.
91parkave is offline  
Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM
  #100  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 655
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 91parkave View Post
Fiero how was it possible a ls2 and ls4 both bolt up to the same 6t75.
Adapter plate on the LS2 to convert from the RWD SBC pattern to the GM Metric pattern:
fieroguru is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6T75 6 speed conversion


About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: