LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dyno Results LS6 intake etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several ways to do the swap, depending on your preferences and means. Only thing I would do different is buy Brian396s adapter, which was not offered when I did my swap.

Like CenTex was saying, dynos are only good for relative comparisons unless they are the super expensive and regularly calibrated dynos the OEMs use. Hot Rod just had an article on this in the latest issue. iirc, they saw anywhere from 550 to 660 WHP on the same car at different dynos, and something like +/- 20 WHP on the same dyno from run to run.

Frankly, a dyno is just a tuning tool. The amount of variability in engine performance and how it is measured is staggering if you really look at it.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmp0098
There are several ways to do the swap, depending on your preferences and means. Only thing I would do different is buy Brian396s adapter, which was not offered when I did my swap.

Like CenTex was saying, dynos are only good for relative comparisons unless they are the super expensive and regularly calibrated dynos the OEMs use. Hot Rod just had an article on this in the latest issue. iirc, they saw anywhere from 550 to 660 WHP on the same car at different dynos, and something like +/- 20 WHP on the same dyno from run to run.

Frankly, a dyno is just a tuning tool. The amount of variability in engine performance and how it is measured is staggering if you really look at it.
And that is exactly why I had it dyno'ed. To be TUNED...

When I get my headers installed and new exhaust, I will have them re-tune it and give me the most pessimistic results possible...LOL And do it in 3rd gear!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

I wanna see what you end up putting down with the engine opened up. This is going to be very exciting news
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you guys i got a question. from my understanding the DOD connector clears with the LS1 intake but the OPS doesn't so the OPS gots to be modded(put at an angle) and the DOD just needs to be extended correct? i seen a couple of you guys redo the whole DOD connector but is there a reason why its just not cut with slack and extended with same gauge wire and soldered back?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blakss
you guys i got a question. from my understanding the DOD connector clears with the LS1 intake but the OPS doesn't so the OPS gots to be modded(put at an angle) and the DOD just needs to be extended correct? i seen a couple of you guys redo the whole DOD connector but is there a reason why its just not cut with slack and extended with same gauge wire and soldered back?
Lol you're doubling back on your questions and reasoning there. If the intakes cleared the DoD/AFM connector, no one would be modifying it.

The LS4 intake manifold snout is angled up to provide clearance. Extending the DoD/AFM connector provides that clearance because heatshrinked wires take up little-to-no real estate versus a 0.25-0.5" (?) male plastic connector.

fieroguru's DoD/AFM VLOM with an LS2 intake manifold (FYI: LS2 intake won't clear the OPSU and DoD/AFM connector without modification to the intake due to its shorter and lower throttle body inlet):

(I rotated the following picture by 180°)

LS6 and LS1 bottoms versus LS2 bottom (image rotated 90° to the left):

If you do happen to ditch DoD/AFM, you can use the LS2 VLOM (and intake) and angle the OPSU without having to cut into the intake manifold.

Third to last sentence on the page:

http://www.fieroaddiction.com/LS4/engine.html
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

If you ditch DOD/AFM valley tray, you need to ditch the DOD/AFM lifters too.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very true. I forgot about that!

Here's some pictures of the LS1 mounted to the LS4 VLOM (step-by-step):

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/062546-3.html#p85

It explains and shows the OPSU and DoD/AFM connector issues.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

im thinking next winter im going to do this swap(ls6 Ported) and remove dod all together lifters and all.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok cool, thanks you guys for the info.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results LS6 intake etc