LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

For those who think a small cam is not the way to go. Look!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
There's a lot more to look at in a cam than duration. Lift, opening/closing times, ramp speed, etc all play a major role.
It's the brain of the engine. You know I'm not just looking at numbers

Intake valve closing point and exhaust valve opening points taken in consideration. As well as overlap. I don't wanna use headers so keeping the overlap within a certian figure is important.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nmp0098
The specs have been posted a couple times. The stock cam has huge advertised duration specs (0.002"); they are in the 340 degree range. The stock cam is also retarded a little bit.

Check out the comp cams lobe catalog. The XE, XE High-Lift and XE-R lobes (page 17 and 18) are used by most speed shops that use Comp as their grinder.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...obeCatalog.pdf
Wow.. 340* Are you sure
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Wow.. 340* Are you sure
ADV is a lot different than dur @ .5"
Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default cams

Been checking out so much crap lately that I can't sleep at night lol..
In fact.. I just spent about 45 mins talking to Roger from VHP. (Great Guy!) I also talked a tech from TPiS.
Choices...choices...choices... ahh.....
Intresting thing though is that both guys told me that the LS6 intake is stronger above 3000 rpm (duh.. right?) They both agreed that the LS1 was a better street intake and that the LS6 isn't all that much stronger till about 5000 and up. (On a built engine) I'll probly slap one on though just for the sake of having one. So.. it looks like I'll be tearing her back apart again but I'm keeping my stock exhaust manifolds. Nitrious too!
Three different cam choices to choose from. ennie.. minne... minnie.. moe..
I really liked working with Roger. I hope to get my car dynotuned with my tax money so I hope I will be able to add something concrete to this discussion
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Get it done man..... Ive been looking into your cam even more but im still leaning towards the 210/218 with 1.8's. Seems like the 056 peaks at about 5800-5900 in a 5.7 great torque curve from the graphs i have studied. Headers with 3.29/3.69's would make our cars a blast to drive!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get it done man..... Ive been looking into your cam even more but im still leaning towards the 210/218 with 1.8's. Seems like the 056 peaks at about 5800-5900 in a 5.7 great torque curve from the graphs i have studied. Headers with 3.29/3.69's would make our cars a blast to drive!
The good news is that I do have headers and 3.29s and the car is alot of fun to drive. But I have to confess, after driving around now for a few months I sometimes question my cam choice, could I have gone alittle more aggressive? Am I getting all I can out of this engine? I hope that a good dynotune and the N20 will quiet that little voice in my head.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GXP25
Wow, and here I thought I could add VVT thinking it was straight forward (reluctor change for me and VVT parts). But damn this *** backwards engine, lol.
I have dreams of more cubes, but they are dwarfed by my desire for VVT. I think it would make all of the difference in the world in this car based on my limited experiment.

Wow.. 340* Are you sure
I've seen the advertised specs, which are in the service manuals, quoted by a couple GM techs on this site. I believe that's around 0.002" or lower. Two different measurements show the 0.006" lift in the 310-320 range. It's not symmetric at low lift; there is a lot of low lift overlap. I suspect that is related to us not having an external EGR system.

Originally Posted by 707chance
The good news is that I do have headers and 3.29s and the car is alot of fun to drive. But I have to confess, after driving around now for a few months I sometimes question my cam choice, could I have gone alittle more aggressive? Am I getting all I can out of this engine? I hope that a good dynotune and the N20 will quiet that little voice in my head.
You probably could have gone with a bigger cam, but it's really hard to tell how it would effect the car without tuning for both cams and running them side by side. Tuning will up the power quite a bit, and, just as important to how it feels, tuning will clean up the transients quite a bit which will give a you a lot more jerk (rate change of acceleration, or that head snapping feeling). Since you are already done with the build, I'd probably stick with that cam even if it doesn't pull as hard as you want up top (not saying it will or won't) and just go with bigger jets in the N2O system. You could add a progressive controller to keep the shock to the rotating assembly down, then turn up the juice as you get down the track.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

nmpoo98- i liked your posts on [cams].. thanks for all that information ! i think a lot more torque will blow up, our great trannys/quickly ?..i also think a top end cam ,higher rpm's might be slower than stock at the drags ? rkvette

Quick Reply: For those who think a small cam is not the way to go. Look!