LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Starting to mod my GXP - help me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to mod my GXP - help me.

Well its income tax time and I got some decent money coming back to me. My 2005 Grand Prix GXP is in storeage and is screaming to get some work done. I need a few questions answered.

First off I am going to be doing the exhaust. Looking at putting on a highflow cat. However I was wondering what is the factory catalytic convertor input size? I want to do a 3" cat back. into 2 Flowmaster Super 40s.

Second is there any cheaper intakes than the K&N that has proven to be a good mod for the GXP? With the K&N intake does it have a tray for the PCM to be bolted down? I dont want to zip tie the PCM down or cut apart my factory airbox.

Third is a Thottle Body spacer going to give me any noticeable difference or benefit me? I see some people saying do it, and some saying its a waste of $100.

Also Ive been hearing a lot about flipping a motor mount or changing the mounts? Any suggestions on this while Im working on it?

Last where is my best bet to send in my PCM in for a tune? Thought about a handheld tuner but Im not so sure on it.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

For exhaust I think a high flow downpipe is better than the hi flow cat. If you haven't removed the resonator nows a good time as any. Depending what you want to do you could do headers as well.

CAI makes a nice intake and some people make there own fender well. Somebody else can chime in on K&N or fender well intake

Save your $100 on the spacer and put it towards getting a tune down or buying a tuner. 06monteSS (Lew) does awesome work with the handheld tuner and is one of the best bang for the bucks you can do. There is compatability issue with some 05 I believe but check with Lew and he can help you.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recommended first item: DiabloSport Trinity & DiabLew Tune,
Hands down best investment!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

welcome from MI!!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chevyman001
Well its income tax time and I got some decent money coming back to me. My 2005 Grand Prix GXP is in storeage and is screaming to get some work done. I need a few questions answered.

First off I am going to be doing the exhaust. Looking at putting on a highflow cat. However I was wondering what is the factory catalytic convertor input size? I want to do a 3" cat back. into 2 Flowmaster Super 40s.

Second is there any cheaper intakes than the K&N that has proven to be a good mod for the GXP? With the K&N intake does it have a tray for the PCM to be bolted down? I dont want to zip tie the PCM down or cut apart my factory airbox.

Third is a Thottle Body spacer going to give me any noticeable difference or benefit me? I see some people saying do it, and some saying its a waste of $100.

Also Ive been hearing a lot about flipping a motor mount or changing the mounts? Any suggestions on this while Im working on it?

Last where is my best bet to send in my PCM in for a tune? Thought about a handheld tuner but Im not so sure on it.
No clue on the exhaust.

CAI > K&N. Plus it's cheaper and has a tray.

No to the throttle body spacer.

Flipping the mount is purely subjective.

We don't have PCMs. We have an ECM and a TCM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ohyeahjay
For exhaust I think a high flow downpipe is better than the hi flow cat. If you haven't removed the resonator nows a good time as any. Depending what you want to do you could do headers as well.

CAI makes a nice intake and some people make there own fender well. Somebody else can chime in on K&N or fender well intake

Save your $100 on the spacer and put it towards getting a tune down or buying a tuner. 06monteSS (Lew) does awesome work with the handheld tuner and is one of the best bang for the bucks you can do. There is compatability issue with some 05 I believe but check with Lew and he can help you.

Alright. Ive looked in to a Hogan downpipe which seems pretty decent. Any link for the CAI? I will send Lew a message this week then, unless he chimes in.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
Recommended first item: DiabloSport Trinity & DiabLew Tune,
Hands down best investment!
According to Diablo's site it says 2006 only?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
welcome from MI!!

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.coldairinductions.com/sto...oated-black-62

The picture on their site is of one of the SS sisters.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

CAI found here http://www.coldairinductions.com/ and Lew can tell you about the 05 compatability.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

05 compatibility... posts 11 and 12...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...l#post14507133

thought I responded/answered this for your already in another post....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Shift kit and trans cooler
Trinity
Cold air inductions intake
Hogan catted downpipe
Cutout
1.8 bolt on roller rockers with LS6 yellow springs
LS1/LS6 intake swap (do a search.. Best gain yet!)
Headers
Lew tune (Safe bet would be to LEW tune after each mod)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default mods

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Shift kit and trans cooler
Trinity
Cold air inductions intake
Hogan catted downpipe
Cutout
1.8 bolt on roller rockers with LS6 yellow springs
LS1/LS6 intake swap (do a search.. Best gain yet!)
Headers
Lew tune (Safe bet would be to LEW tune after each mod)
I like
Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest if your gonna keep the car around for a few yrs,then invest your money into beef up our weak *** tranny's.I'm gonna purches mine today,just a thought!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chevyman001

1. Save you money on the Flowmasters. Buy a set of Spinteck or SLP loudmouth mufflers. Flowmaster's sound like **** IMHO on these cars. It will sound very raspy and not throaty at all. In you are not planning on spending a lot of money on this car go with a Hogan downpipe. If you plan on modding it extensively, then get in on the group buy for the headers.

2. I have a K&N finderwell and I can tell you it is as advertised. You will notice a gain in the higher RPM band. It is around $300 and it very simple to install yourself with some basic tools.

3. Don't waste your money on a spacer. They do nothing but make an annoying whistle and you gain practically nothing compared to the money you could spend on other mods.

4. You can get a hand held like others have suggested (Diablo, if I had discovered this site before I got my Superchips, I would have bought it instead) and then get a Lew tune. If you really want to spend some coin, find a local dyno shop and get it dyno tuned after you do some mods.

Also, before you do any mods to this car, do what David GXP has suggested and buy a tranny cooler and shift kit. You will add much needed life to your tranny and it will save you money in the long run.
-Hope this helps,
Brent
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
I would suggest if your gonna keep the car around for a few yrs,then invest your money into beef up our weak *** tranny's.I'm gonna purches mine today,just a thought!
Congrats, Man!

You getting Reb's to do the install?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Sorry don't mean

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Congrats, Man!

You getting Reb's to do the install?
Thanks Mike,just got off the phone with Dave and got my order ready to go!!!No Reb's won't be doing my install,me and my bro plan on doing it.Can't wait ill start a thread of what I purches and pics of uninstalled and installed.I think well worth the money if you plan on keeping an LS4 and plan to mod it.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Appreciate all the input guys! From the looks of it right now to start Im going to be doing the following:
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Hogan Catted Downpipe w/ 2.5" catback with mufflers of choice sounds like Im gonna look into some magnaflows or SLP's (recently heard them on a monte SS and loved em!)
Looking at having someone local do some tuning for me as I have no previous experiace with a handheld tuner or tuning in general.

To start then eventually would love to do a shift kit/trans cooler. Isnt there a thread some where floating around how to install a trans cooler/shift kit on these cars?

Eventually would love to do 1.8 bolt on roller rockers & LS6 springs... along with a few other internal goodies.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

i would do the trans cooler first
Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Also who makes the best shift kit for these vehicles? Any suggestions on a trans cooler and how to do the install??