LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Vibration issue, 08 impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunchbox_89
I do still have a year left on my drivetrain warranty... might bring it to the shop if I cant get this sorted out through balancing and new rims

My rims I have on there are 20'' x 8.5'', they do have a lip on (spokes are sunken in) and I agree, it makes it look a lot better

edit: If it turns out the balance doesn't do anything i'm going to get these:

those are nice! how the hell did you do that with the car?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

Originally Posted by xdynasty725x
those are nice! how the hell did you do that with the car?
tirerack.com
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

anyone ever run Delinte Thunder D7 tires?

I'm about to head off to get them balanced for the second time in two weeks.. and if it ends up being the tires are generic POS then i'm going to replace them or the wheels, whichever it ends up being.

Any suggestions on what type of tire to buy? Was looking at a Hankook summer tire...

I'm trying not to break the bank as I am going to have to get winter tires in a few months... well anyways if any of you have any time here's the list of tires that would fit my rims any advice on what affordable/good performance rubber to go with would be much appreciated!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

well.. idk wtf to do now.. front left and right rear were out about an ounce each, but the vibration got worse after the balance.. they said the tire's/wheel's weren't bent or out of round in any way.

I think now before I spring for all new rubber/rims is centering rings.. the tire place said they had a bit of movement so that could possibly be the issue.

very frustrated at this point, 210$ wasted on balancing when it wasn't the issue.

just call a versante distributor got the size for the hub centric ring, now the hunt begins.

Last edited by lunchbox_89; 08-10-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

I dont understand how it got worse after they got balanced..and the stock RS-A were good for me in the snow haha
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

well hopefully I'll be getting this problem sorted out tomorrow... overnight parts from Japan.

lol

but I did manage to find the hub centric rings, getting them overnighted from edmonton (4 hours away) will hopefully be able to stab a knife in this threads face. *fingers crossed*
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

can they get any hub centric rings? I need to get some for mine cause when I got new tires the last time they left 3 off
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
can they get any hub centric rings? I need to get some for mine cause when I got new tires the last time they left 3 off
yeah I would suggest contacting the company that makes your rims, if you cant reach them, call anyone who sells them. (but first your going to want to find your model number / size of the rim)

I found the model number for the rims I have, Called a speed shop in Reno Nevada that sold the rims, Got the spacer sizes for the ID/OD (vehicle hub size / rim hub size), and drove to about 5/6 tire places around town.

3 of the places could get the particular size I needed, but only one would overnight it for me so I kinda got lucky.

its a bit of work, but if it sorts my issues out it will be worth it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

well.. I took the rims of and re mounted them, the vibration speed changed. I'm now almost positive its the missing hub rings, ordered them yesterday.. supposed to be in today but more likely tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

FIXED!

4 little pieces of plastic and she's runnin like a champ.. till I decided to go for the land speed record and had to use my brakes to slow down.. warping them in the process. (yeah I warped the brakes I JUST put on.. lmfao not even 100km on them and they're effed!)

but the Hub Centric Rings solved the vibration issue I was having, now I just need to find some high performance brakes that can handle the heat..

(I hit 223km/h btw according to my GPS)

Just incase your looking to get some hub rings, you will want to contact the manufacturer of your wheels to find the 'wheel bore size' and also your vehicle hub size. You can get hub centric rings at just for wheels.

Last edited by lunchbox_89; 08-17-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lunchbox_89
FIXED!

4 little pieces of plastic and she's runnin like a champ.. till I decided to go for the land speed record and had to use my brakes to slow down.. warping them in the process. (yeah I warped the brakes I JUST put on.. lmfao not even 100km on them and they're effed!)

but the Hub Centric Rings solved the vibration issue I was having, now I just need to find some high performance brakes that can handle the heat..

(I hit 223km/h btw according to my GPS)

Just incase your looking to get some hub rings, you will want to contact the manufacturer of your wheels to find the 'wheel bore size' and also your vehicle hub size. You can get hub centric rings at just for wheels.
Finally lol. The brakes..are they from break motive? how are they?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xdynasty725x
Finally lol. The brakes..are they from break motive? how are they?
Yes they are the brakemotive ones.. and I haven't driven it since last night so i'm hoping they sort themselves out, I read that I may have to run sem-metallic pads for a while to get rid of the 'warping' aka resin deposits on the disk.

The brakes are really good though, have some really good bite to them (especially for 165 shipped, you cant beat that price..). Though I may be looking into getting some higher quality pads..

odds are I didn't break them in properly, I was only taking the car up to 80km/h and braking down to 10km/h, the install guide says to go 60mph-5mph.. Its just a pain trying to find a highway to do It on and not get into a wreck.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

well... now i'm really confused.

Vibration was completely gone. not a trace, took the car for a drive tonight and it came back at 40/80 & 100 km/h, So I took the front wheels off removed the rings and re installed them (thinking they may not be grabbing properly. Vibration at 40 & 80 was gone.

So I thought SWEET removed the rears and did the same thing, At first there was absolutely no vibration till i hit 110km/h (I sped up very slowly to check for vibration through the speeds just to be sure I didnt miss anything). at 110 there was a slight vibration.

Slowed the car down and turned onto a different road, and the vibration at 80 came back, but this time it was really brutal (the road was for sure not the cause, I drive down it every day). So I did a few 90-20km/h slow downs and the vibration at 80 went away for a couple of them but came back in the end..

I'm at a loss. I really don't know what else to do... Maybe a more aggressively tapered lug nut, or a set of rings from that just for wheels place.. idk..

Quick Reply: Vibration issue, 08 impala SS