LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

trouble with the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with the dealer

so the dealer already replaced my lifters and what not
well the car is still sucking up oil bad,i drove to missouri and back and checked my oil.. NONE AT ALL. and i got an oil change before i left and and even added a tad before hitting the road!
well my warranty should go up this year, and the dealer is ignoring me, i called them and they said they will call back in a hour... no call!! i have a feeling they are trying to put this off till my warranty goes up so they can **** me in the ***. what am i suppose to do? should i start taking pictures of oil level,etc for evidence in a court case later? i love gm and their vehicles.. i just want my car to perform the way its suppose to, and if they cant fix it under warranty then i want a diffrent gm vehicle or a replacement
Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Well, I can be a Ahole, but take pictures, bug the crap outta them. go to another dealership, threaten lawsuit. or cause a scene, i like causing scenes because thats when you get their attention lol
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im gonna try and get another mechanic shop to verify the oil is low etc
Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take it to a/the dealership and tell them your problem, and tell them you want to do an oil consumption test. Start it now before you go out of warranty.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how does that work? i mean they will check the oil and i will come back in and tell them its low and they say alright and tell me to add more.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Take it to a/the dealership and tell them your problem, and tell them you want to do an oil consumption test. Start it now before you go out of warranty.
^^^ do that instead of waiting for them to call or whatever.

hope everything works out for you in the long run
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the test a long term thing or what??
Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think you have to drive your car 3000 miles and check in with the dealer every 500 miles
Old 08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

This just happened to me, started a oil consumption test yesterday. Gotta stop in every 500 miles.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

The dealership will do an lof/oil change. They will check for oil leaks, and make sure the oil is topped off. You'll have to take it in at certion intervals to be checked by them. I've seen them done on time or miles.

On a side not, I found this:

#PIP4814C: Excessive Oil Consumption And/Or Blue Exhaust Smoke - (Jul 19, 2011)

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke

Models: 2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse, Allure (Canada Only)

2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

With AFM (Active Fuel Management) 5.3L Engine (RPO LS4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIP4814B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain that their vehicle has been using approximately 1 quart of oil every 500-1,000 miles. In most cases, the customer will advise that this did not start until the engine accumulated approximately 30,000 miles or more. In some cases, the customer may note that this is more apparent when driving at highway speed. In rare instances, a SES light and engine misfire may be encountered with a P0300 DTC.

Upon inspection, an oil fouled spark plug(s) may be noted. In most cases, static compression and cylinder leakage testing will appear normal. Excessive oil may or may not be found in the intake manifold.

In most cases, this is the result of stuck oil control rings. Generally, the stuck oil control rings are the result of excessive oil on the cylinder walls.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If excessive oil consumption (greater than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles / 3,000 km) is verified but no valve seal or PCV system concerns are found, this is most likely the result of AFM pressure relief valve oil accumulating on the bottom of the cylinders when active fuel management is enabled. Over time, this may eventually lead to the stuck oil control rings, poor ring sealing, and increased oil consumption.

Procedures are being developed to repair this by cleaning the oil control rings and redirecting the AFM pressure relief valve oil away from the cylinder walls. The related parts and procedures should be available during the 2011 calendar year but an exact date is not available at this time. As soon as the repair becomes available, this PI will be updated with additional details, or a separate bulletin will be released. Also note that the AFM shield described in the latest version of 10-06-01-008 will not fit the LS4 engine due to design differences.

Notice: Piston and Ring sets should not be replaced for this concern unless it is absolutely necessary to perform a repair for customer satisfaction, repeat spark plug fouling, etc.. In some cases, the piston rings may not completely eliminate the oil consumption concern until the AFM pressure relief valve shield above is available and installed. If you decide to pursue a repair before this shield is available and stuck oil control rings are found, replace all 8 pistons and all 8 piston ring sets. If there is excessive oil in the intake, the right/rear bank lifters should be replaced as well. We do not recommend honing or deglazing the cylinder walls due to the great variation between equipment, machine shops, and technicians performing these repairs. This is because it is generally unnecessary and can induce unnecessary cylinder wall and/or piston ring damage if it is done incorrectly or not cleaned thoroughly. The cylinder walls just need to be cleaned thoroughly with brake/contact cleaner before the new piston and ring sets are installed.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you have some gumed piston rings. Are they/you putting in 6qts of oil? I have made the mistake of only putting in 5qts before and after 3000 miles my oil light came on and I was thinking I burned 2qts! With my cam swap and DOD delete I now run 5qts.

You might wanna have someone follow you around to see if blue smoke is coming from your exhaust. Make sure it's on a warm day and the engine is up to operating temp.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the car has been to the dealer already for new lifters and what not for the same issue. and they know its loosing the oil because they have added it and i came in and they saw it was low. plus before i drove to missouri and back THEY did the oil change . and when i told him there was none left he even said wow, u just got one.

Quick Reply: trouble with the dealer