LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Test Drove an 08 Impala SS Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove an 08 Impala SS Today

The car seemed really solid overall, but this particular one had some issues that the dealer kept saying "oh we can fix that". Such as the steering wheel off from horizontal by about 20degrees when driving, a cigarette burn in the drivers seat and when my wife adjusted the dual climate control for the passenger side the dash started clicking uncontrolably, even after the car was off.

I did have a question about the A/C in the car. A/C is very important to me as phoenix is really f'n hot. The air blowing out seemed cold, but it took what seemed like a long time for the air to cool down, and at Idle it didn't seem to be blowing very cold or blowing out at a high velocity with the fan on high with re-circulate on. I understand that driving will help with the temps as the compressor will be moving more refrigerant, but I just would have expected the air to be colder, similar to my wifes saturn vue. Are there any known issues with the AC on these cars, or the blower motor and how it operates?

Thanks,
matt
Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a few people had to replace something in the dash for the a/c but I can't remember what it was off hand maybe some of them will chime in here. As for the wheel not being straight whoever aligned it last didn't make sure the wheel was straight which is a minor fix
Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Teching In

The steering wheel may be a minor fix, but it also makes me wonder if the previous owner was beating on the car. I'm hoping to find a clean impala that won't need any work for at least the first couple of days
Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is still off from having my trans out, irritates the **** out of me
Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

how many miles on the car? How does the trans shift? As for the wheel I would make the dealer do an alignment on it and say you want to watch them do it and get a print out
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

The car had 54K on it. The trans shifted well. And the engine was definitely very powerful. I basically went to test drive it to see how I liked the car in general. The last few i've headed out to test drive, have either sold before I got there, or there was the one that had the lifter click. I don't know that my wife cares for them too much, but hey, if I buy a newer car she wins as i'll get rid of my 23yo oldsmobile that she can't stand. The one today was red. I'd really like to find a black one. I'm guessing I may need to go out of state to get a black one, as there aren't a whole lot in Phoenix.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
I know a few people had to replace something in the dash for the a/c but I can't remember what it was off hand maybe some of them will chime in here. As for the wheel not being straight whoever aligned it last didn't make sure the wheel was straight which is a minor fix
I was one of the lucky ones with a dash "CLICK". Basically, it's a servo motor that controls one of the ventilation doors. If it was doing it with the car off AND coming from the passenger side, it's probably the easiest one to get to (the car has 4 of them). The dealer should fix it, but if they don't/won't, it's a $50 part that takes about 30 minutes to replace when you do it the first time.

If you buy the car, make sure it's got a good, long warranty, and if not, BUY ONE with the car, as there's probably a 50/50 chance you'll need to put a transmission in it at some point.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orange57
The car had 54K on it. The trans shifted well. And the engine was definitely very powerful. I basically went to test drive it to see how I liked the car in general. The last few i've headed out to test drive, have either sold before I got there, or there was the one that had the lifter click. I don't know that my wife cares for them too much, but hey, if I buy a newer car she wins as i'll get rid of my 23yo oldsmobile that she can't stand. The one today was red. I'd really like to find a black one. I'm guessing I may need to go out of state to get a black one, as there aren't a whole lot in Phoenix.
You want a black one with a known good trans? You can have mine for $10,000. It's got 113,000 miles on it, the air blows cold, and trans has been "updated".
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
You want a black one with a known good trans? You can have mine for $10,000. It's got 113,000 miles on it, the air blows cold, and trans has been "updated".
That deal right there is almost unbeatable. I got my car at 90k for close to 12k out the door. I ended up having to put a trans in it for close to 1500 without warranty. I would pass on the car ya just looked at unless its amazingly prices. I would personally never buy a car that's been smoked in, but that's me, especially with that cigarette burn. Unless of course you guys are smokers, then it might be ok. What's the price on it?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What they said...

If it's cheap and you have cash to buy it with and dump into it, then go for it. If you are financing, then ditto on a good warranty. My 08 only had 28,000 miles on it when I got it in late 2008 and thank goodness it had the certified warranty. Steering rack, steering shaft, rear suspension, motor mount, oil pan gasket, blower motor, and of course TRANSMISSION replaced + there's probably more I'm forgetting. These cars are crap (except for the LS engine). But I love the car nonetheless.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was one of the lucky ones with a dash "CLICK". Basically, it's a servo motor that controls one of the ventilation doors. If it was doing it with the car off AND coming from the passenger side, it's probably the easiest one to get to (the car has 4 of them). The dealer should fix it, but if they don't/won't, it's a $50 part that takes about 30 minutes to replace when you do it the first time.

If you buy the car, make sure it's got a good, long warranty, and if not, BUY ONE with the car, as there's probably a 50/50 chance you'll need to put a transmission in it at some point.
Mine started doing this a week ago,maybe ill do it my self...
Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

my a/c will eventually get cold if i just leave it the way it is when the car comes on but if i push the recirculate button then its like max a/c pretty much and it cools off instantly.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Mine started doing this a week ago,maybe ill do it my self...
If you need a hand with that, let me know, Dom.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

after my 2003 chev cavalier was stolen/'hot' wired, it would click behind the dash and randomly stall... if there is a problem with the wiring, stay away from it.

I'm all for the impala's but that clicking could lead to bigger issues in the future.

even if they 'fix' it, it could still return, imo keep looking and find yourself an imp thats in GOOD working order.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

I have that little click too, but i have the radio loud so i cant notice it. however, my air i thought wasnt as cold as other cars, idk why.. oh well
Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta

Originally Posted by xdynasty725x
I have that little click too, but i have the radio loud so i cant notice it. however, my air i thought wasnt as cold as other cars, idk why.. oh well
ever try to get your a/c system recharged? I know in my dads old buick he had to get it recharged and it went from blowing cool air to blowing snow...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need a hand with that, let me know, Dom.
For sure Mike
Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Here you go guys AGAIN.

This is how to fix the a/c click

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GZNbP4mwo
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lunchbox_89
ever try to get your a/c system recharged? I know in my dads old buick he had to get it recharged and it went from blowing cool air to blowing snow...
lol na ill be good. I try not to use my A/C cos i dont like 2mpg lol