LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Got the new TRANS & COOLER in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gilroy222
Sorry to post in an old thread. I just got my b & m tranny cooler installed and it was placed basically behind the license plate but on the drivers side. It seems like a shitty spot since only the top quarter of the cooler gets direct air flow. Today I toured around coming from work and the temp finally hit 179 as I got home. This is in heavy city traffic where normally it'd be over 200 HOWEVER what worries me is that up here in Canada it is now 14 Fahrenheit. People in Texas are saying there's never gets over 180 and that's in Texas! So if mine is flirting with 180 when its 14 is that a good sign its going to get hot again when the weather gets warmer? My tranny was hitting 200's when it was around 32 outside. Also they mounted it so that the inlet and outlet are on the bottom.
Did you install it in series?
It sounds like you have the lines reversed to me.

The bottom line is the cooler feed and the upper line is the return.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gilroy222
Sorry to post in an old thread. I just got my b & m tranny cooler installed and it was placed basically behind the license plate but on the drivers side. It seems like a shitty spot since only the top quarter of the cooler gets direct air flow. Today I toured around coming from work and the temp finally hit 179 as I got home. This is in heavy city traffic where normally it'd be over 200 HOWEVER what worries me is that up here in Canada it is now 14 Fahrenheit. People in Texas are saying there's never gets over 180 and that's in Texas! So if mine is flirting with 180 when its 14 is that a good sign its going to get hot again when the weather gets warmer? My tranny was hitting 200's when it was around 32 outside. Also they mounted it so that the inlet and outlet are on the bottom.
Did they bypass the stock cooler in the radiator? Also, I think every cooler I have seen has been mounted with the inlet and outlet at the top. Otherwise, it could be the size of the cooler too, maybe too small.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I installed a tranny cooler a while back and I like it the car loves it!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Hey guys forgot I posted here lol. Anyway, ya the cooler was installed in line and at first they did have it upside down. I got them to flip it so the inlet and outlet are at the top. It is better now but city traffic still absolutely kills me. This weekend the temp was around 60. On highway or road speeds (around 60 mph) the tranny is alright. Stays right around 140-150 or so. I got into the city (a smaller city with less traffic than I mentioned in my previous post) and after 20 mins or so the temp was at 176. Mind you there wasn't many lights and if there was we weren't waiting long. I did get on it a little though at some of the lights i'll admit. By the time we left the city it was pretty much at 190-195 then it very very very slowly crept back down to 176 or so with those same highway speeds. It honestly seems like its all to do with the stop and go.

I don't know what I'm going to do when summer hits and its actually like 86 here lol. The guy with the black SS on here who chimes in quite a bit has told me to just make that tranny cooler standalone. He claims I won't see temps past 180 if I do that. It's a stacked-plate B&M 9,800 BTU I'm pretty sure. I don't remember exactly which model but I do remember paying around 65 bucks or so. Here's the link to the most plausible one lol http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=au...ted-11x5-34x34

Thanks for your help guys. BTW the fluid is good.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO going in series with the factory cooler is redundant. Because the factory trans cooler is in line with the radiator so when the coolant warms up so does your fluid and the ability to cool becomes minimal at best. Use your cooler in standalone as and once again IMO I have the cooler horizontal not vertical because its harder to pump fluid up than across. Hope this helps
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Ya I'll get that cooler out of the loop soon. Also by horizontal you mean inlet and outlet at the top? The instructions say to do that and the way the brackets are that came with it I'm limited to having it like that.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

I had a shop install mine when I got my exhaust done, and mine has helped but when it gets really hot out mine can get to 190 if im on the highway. So once I get it out of storage i'm going to check the lines, but I was confused reading the other posts, should it still be going through the factory radiator? Or should the lines just go straight to the trans cooler, and I will make sure its going in the right direction.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kweevuss
I had a shop install mine when I got my exhaust done, and mine has helped but when it gets really hot out mine can get to 190 if im on the highway. So once I get it out of storage i'm going to check the lines, but I was confused reading the other posts, should it still be going through the factory radiator? Or should the lines just go straight to the trans cooler, and I will make sure its going in the right direction.
From what everybodies saying I think they mean to not have it in series. Like having the lines go straight to the cooler. I was told with my stacked plate I don't need to worry about warming the fluid in winter since a stacked plate will by-pass itself when cold.

I'm still baffled as to how people in 90 degree weather are at the most hitting 180 in city traffic while being in-line with the factory rad. Either they have a lot more into their tranny than us or their "city driving" is driving through mainstreet of a small down with one light for 20 minutes. The city I live in for school is basically stop and go during rush hour for 45 mins. I sure as f*ck am not topping out at 180 lol.

Edit:
I almost forgot to ask you dude... You said you got your exhaust done. What did you get put on and what's the DOD like? I can't find videos good enough to hear what it's actually doing.

Last edited by gilroy222; 03-20-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Little update...

Car turned 180k this week, paid it off last week. While the trans temp is substantially lower, it looks like I will probably be replacing it again. Keep getting a P0700 and aP0741.

Quick Reply: Got the new TRANS & COOLER in.