LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Grand Prix vs Monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the OPs question, 100-160k+ seems to be a pretty common mileage for those cars right now. I'd say at 100k you are "broken in" with the 3800 but that doesn't mean the engine will start to have problems. I read that the lower intake manifold gaskets were a problem on those engines (and require replacing the whole manifold I believe). Other than that, it sounds like they are a very reliable vehicle.

I am also currently looking for one for a DD and winter car. I'm trying to find one with 120k or lower mileage for around $3000. Good luck with your search.

EDIT: Was talking about Grand Prix
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
Yup, I definitely envy these differences. I wish they would have included all of them in the Monte Dooes the Monte or Impala even have anything exclusively that the GXP doesn't? Other than the DOD indicator and the Monte being a coupe lol.
HA HA us GXP guys have trans temp readings on the DIC. . . .
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Lucky you
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

My favorite thing about the gxp is the HUD
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS
Dooes the Monte or Impala even have anything exclusively that the GXP doesn't? Other than the DOD indicator and the Monte being a coupe lol.
the aux audio input! i think the gxp has stability control and the wider front tires than rears

Originally Posted by WhiteGXP313
My favorite thing about the gxp is the HUD
i LOVE that HUD !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

The 24kt gold chevrolet badge costs more.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I had a '98 GTP. Much more moddable than our LS4s. Hella fast with just a pulley, CAI, U-bend delete and a tune. Fun car, too. The only think I hated was the Playskool interior.
I've got a 98 GTP (trying to get rid of it now) and I agree it was way more mod friendly than the LS4 but it has a large community backing it. But on the flip side all the parts I threw at it only made the car slightly faster than my GXP, which is bone stock. So it's easy to see that when it comes time to start modifying it, it will elapse what I had done in the GTP. And I quite liked the interior, especially compared to the other model cars in the same class as it.

Originally Posted by KurtMCSS
I didnt get a gxp because I feel like pontiacs use cheaper parts and aren't put together on a average as good as as chevy buick etc. Chevy trucks have a reputation of being dependable, which gives chevy a reason to make somewhat decent cars. Pontiacs has no motivation except building off of past sucess. Same reason a Mountaineer is more than the same model yr explorer.
That's funny, because that's the exact reason I didn't get a monte SS. Is your "feeling" that they use cheaper parts an opinion or from experience of owning a Pontiac? Because everything you said is completely backwards. Chevrolet has always been the bottom level entry when it comes down to it. As far as cars goes the teir of quality has always been Cadillac, Buick, olds/Pontiac, Chevrolet. Look back at any cars over the years and you will see this. From the f-bodies, to the g-bodies, all the way back to a-bodies and before. It's not an argument, just how GM has always had it laid out.

Originally Posted by Conrad
To answer the OPs question, 100-160k+ seems to be a pretty common mileage for those cars right now. I'd say at 100k you are "broken in" with the 3800 but that doesn't mean the engine will start to have problems. I read that the lower intake manifold gaskets were a problem on those engines (and require replacing the whole manifold I believe). Other than that, it sounds like they are a very reliable vehicle.

I am also currently looking for one for a DD and winter car. I'm trying to find one with 120k or lower mileage for around $3000. Good luck with your search.

EDIT: Was talking about Grand Prix
I agree here, I bought mine with 98k on it, stone stock and didn't modify it till it had 110k on it. It not sits parked in the driveway with just over 190k on the original engine. I had a ZZP trans built for it, but the stock one never went out.

Quick Reply: Grand Prix vs Monte carlo