LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensors

Can you run a 2008 GXP without them? What kind of issues will it cause other than the light in the dash? Does it disable traction or stability control?

I am putting a set of 17" GTP rims on the car for winter, and they do not have TPS's, I can put them on there but would rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

why not just transfer your sensors
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Wouldn't I have to dismount the other tires off the Alcoas then? Or are the sensors easy to swap from rim to rim? I am going to use both sets of rims, one for summer and one for winter. Sorry I don't know how they work.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this with Belle Tire, they had to air out my tires to remove and swap over the TPMS sensors to my winter tires/wheels.

The guy said it is federal law that any car that comes in with a TPMS system has to leave with it working.

If you can install the tires yourself, or if you are going to a non chain tire store/service center then you might get away with out the sensors.

You 100% do not need the TPMS sensors, you will just get a light on the dash, and you'll have to check the pressures by hand.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot, that is all I wanted to know, the tire/rims I am getting are already mounted and balanced. And my father in law owns his own mechanic shop so I will put them on myself. I am not worried about the light being on the dash for a few months.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

just for information ive seen replacement sensors for about $45 each so if you wanted to run a set in the new rims thats $180 almost cost of 1 tire alone.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

You can swap the sensors to the winter rims by breaking the top beads of the summer tires/wheels and removing the sensors. You can leave them like that and store them so its easy to repop them back in in the spring if you wish, or air them back up. To install them into your winter wheels just do the same thing. Pop the top bead and install the sensors.

Not running sensors the only thing that will happen is the TPMS light on your dash will be on. Now that's not a big deal, but some states that fails state inspection.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

I also forgot to add that doing it that way you won't have to rebalance either set of tires/wheels. Since your only breaking the top beads and not the bottoms the tire won't move on the rim. Just air them up and your good to go.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors