LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Who runs conventional oil??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using the full synthetic or the blend?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i guess you've never taken apart your engine to see the diffrence, Synthetic oil everything looks brand new i dont care if you dont change your oil in 5 years.
Conventional Oil starts sludging immediatly even with 3k oil changes.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is everyone caught up with the drain interval, thats has nothing to do with why you should use synthetic. The oil is far more processed to be made of smaller molecules that fit in tighter tolerances as well as more additives to better protect a very expensive investment...and 6-10k on an oil change? If your that cheap you shouldnt be modifying a vehicle. Synthetic oil every 3-5k and you won't he sorry. Or save the 50 bucks a year and watch your engine explode....my .02
Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
Why is everyone caught up with the drain interval, thats has nothing to do with why you should use synthetic. The oil is far more processed to be made of smaller molecules that fit in tighter tolerances as well as more additives to better protect a very expensive investment...and 6-10k on an oil change? If your that cheap you shouldnt be modifying a vehicle. Synthetic oil every 3-5k and you won't he sorry. Or save the 50 bucks a year and watch your engine explode....my .02
They actually say changing your oil to often is just as bad as not changing it for long periods.
Theres been oil test done where they change it every 3k and the amount if engine wear "metals in the oil" was significantly higher then if they just added oil up to about 7 or 8k then the additives in the oil broke down and you lost protection such as the zinc i beleive that coats the metal and prevents wear.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 127 Likes on 114 Posts

I was sold on Mobil1 full synthetic about 8 years ago....buddy at work with a Dodge p-up had over 250K on the ticker and put it in the shop for oil pressure problems...the tech asked when he changed motors...he laughed and said it was original...motor was spotless inside. Turned out to be a seal or something ???

I change my Silverados oil every 6-8000 and have been 10K a few times has 120+K on it now, is my DD/tower/hauler, and sees 90% hiway @ 26 miles each way to work/home.
No issues,no leaks.

Quick Reply: Who runs conventional oil??