LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

car wont start and I have a red top. . . HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reads..the only thing is..getting our batteries out of our cars..SUX big time.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Teching In

1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT, if you have gone through six of anyone's batteries (plus your original battery), there is definitely something going on not related to the battery. Let's start with voltage numbers. What is the voltage of your battery measured at the terminals with the engine off and with the engine running?

Kyoytey1693, when you measured the draw, what was it? I would also be interested in knowing what the voltage is of your battery when the engine is running, which would indicate your alternator output.

Neilownz, you are correct- all Optima batteries built in early 2009 or later were produced at our Monterrey facility. You can see a video of it here.

94ss06gxp, have you had a chance to measure your battery voltage? Do you unplug your radar detector and XM radio unit or just turn them off?

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT, if you have gone through six of anyone's batteries (plus your original battery), there is definitely something going on not related to the battery. Let's start with voltage numbers. What is the voltage of your battery measured at the terminals with the engine off and with the engine running?
Jim McIlvaine
When the car is running its at 14.3 once the car goes off it drops to 12.0..Each time I've returned the battery its been a defect where they just replace the battery,after a full charge over night.I'm to the point where I think my alternator is taking a **** on me,and the car is all stock except for performance mods.It was aleso rear ended a yr ago about the time every battery has gone bad.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Output while running is 14.79. Current draw across the battery with the car off is .01-.02.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Teching In

1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT, your alternator output sounds normal, but a YellowTop measuring 12.0 volts is more than 50% discharged. Can you fully-charge it to about 13.0-13.2 volts and leave it disconnected from your car for 12-24 hours? If the battery is healthy, it should hold close to it's maximum voltage during that time. If it can hold voltage when disconnected, but loses voltage when connected, there is something else going on.

kyoytey1693, I don't know what the stock pulley size is on your car, but your alternator output is definitely on the high end, although not dangerously high. How are you measuring the current draw and is your measurement in amps or milliamps?

Jim McIlvaine
Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT, your alternator output sounds normal, but a YellowTop measuring 12.0 volts is more than 50% discharged. Can you fully-charge it to about 13.0-13.2 volts and leave it disconnected from your car for 12-24 hours? If the battery is healthy, it should hold close to it's maximum voltage during that time. If it can hold voltage when disconnected, but loses voltage when connected, there is something else going on.

kyoytey1693, I don't know what the stock pulley size is on your car, but your alternator output is definitely on the high end, although not dangerously high. How are you measuring the current draw and is your measurement in amps or milliamps?

Jim McIlvaine
Will do.Yeah I thought that the drop was excessive .On a side note my drive to work is only 10min away from home,maybe as stated before that there is not enough time to fully charge the system?the past 2 days I've been having problems with battery.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim McIlvaine
Amps. Running stock pulley size on alternator and crank. The car was cold so I'm sure the Voltage would settle a little once the car warmed up.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

My car is fine, starts great and runs great. Great thread tho
Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Teching In

1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT, a routine of frequent short trips can make it hard for an alternator to maintain a battery. Once you fully-charge your battery, if you measure your voltage in the morning before heading to work and again in the evening, once you return home and do this once a week, it may give you an idea of whether your charging system is able to maintain your battery based on your driving habits. Sometimes that type of routine will slowly wear a battery down, as the charging system gives up a little bit of ground every day, but not enough to be noticeable all at once. If that is the case, fully-charging your battery with a battery charger once or twice a month might solve your issues.

Kyoytey1693, would it be possible to measure your draw in milliamps, using the technique explained in this video? http://youtu.be/-yPlx4MBNRU

Jim McIlvaine

Quick Reply: car wont start and I have a red top. . . HELP