LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

car wont start and I have a red top. . . HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start and I have a red top. . . HELP

Ok so lately (past couple months) when it gets cold when I use the remote start it will crank for a second and wont start, then normally the next time it will start. Now the car was driven yesterday and parked last night. Came out this afternoon to go to the store and put the key in and everything comes on good and bright but went to crank it and it clicks a bunch of times. Hooked up some jumper cables to it for about 10-15 minutes and still only clicks. I put in a brand new Optima Red Top about 2 years ago.

Not sure what to do now? Says Charging system failure on the DIC.

Someone HELP!!!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Charge the battery and see if it still shows the error.

How long do you drive at a time? It might not be charging long enough.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

I drive pretty short commutes. .

I will see if I can get ahold of a charger and go from there.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

alternator's crappin out.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A regular charger won't work with a Red Top, at least directly. You'd need one with special circuitry to work with a Red Top.

If you have a regular charger, do this:

Best thing to do is to pull the battery from your GXP and your Camaro (assuming it's not a Red Top, too). Use jumper cables to connect the two batteries together, then connect the charger to the Camaro's battery. This will charge the Red Top. Check it periodically with a gauge to make sure you don't overcharge it.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure the charger works for agm batteries. Sorry, I was assuming it would be a newish charger. I use a Schumacher that I picked up at a local parts store.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

ok guys, I got it started by hooking up the jumper cables to my GF's buick and reving it to 3k for about 10 minutes and it just barely started. I am going to let it run for half hour then go for a drive and go from there. Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Where did you buy the battery? I would return it and rule that out. The optima carries a three year full replacement warranty. Also, do charge a optima you have to have a median.

ie. your gf's car to a standard battery and have cables on the standard battery going to the optima. It will suck juice from the plain battery.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad cell in the Optima! It's weird how it happens to Red Tops. Try to get it exchanged for a Yellow Top.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike690003
Bad cell in the Optima! It's weird how it happens to Red Tops. Try to get it exchanged for a Yellow Top.
have to find the reciept from 2 years ago, might be a needle in a haystack
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I returned mine at autozone, with no receipt. They still had my info stored in their system.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Might be able to bring it back with a decent charge/desulfate. I thought mine was bad once.

Anyways the newer optima batteries are made by a different company and that's why they sometimes don't last the full warranty length.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

ok, well If it happens again I am going to return it. I got mine from autozone also.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Get a Battery Tender and keep it on the battery while parked
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

I had to turn off my approach and unlock headlamps option because I didn't drive enough to charge the battery over time.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. 94ss06gxp, what have you modified on your car (electrically), besides your remote start? Do you have an alarm as well? If your battery is discharged to the point where it needs a jump, it is a good idea to fully-recharge your battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Asking an alternator to recharge a deeply-discharged battery can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace your alternator or your battery. If your commutes are relatively-short, your alternator simply may not have enough time to replace the energy your vehicle consumes during sitting and starting. Fully-charged, your RedTop should measure about 12.6-12.8 volts. If you measure your battery voltage at the terminals with the engine running, it will indicate the output of your alternator and should be about 13.7-14.7 volts.

You do not need a special charger to charge our batteries. However, “gel” or “gel/AGM” charger settings should be avoided, as they may not fully charge our batteries (or any other non-Gel batteries) and may damage them over time. If your battery (regardless of brand) has been discharged below a battery charger's minimum voltage threshold, the charger may not recognize or charge the battery. In those instances, using the parallel charging method described in this video can recover those batteries- http://youtu.be/dIoaL3DWWEg

The deeply-discharged battery does not “suck juice” from the second battery wired in parallel. The charger will see the voltage level of the second battery and deliver current to the deeply-discharged battery that is wired in parallel.

neilownz, Johnson Controls has owned Optima since 2000 and while the quality of our batteries has always been excellent, the batteries we are building today (and we still build our own batteries in our own facility) are the best we have ever made. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us under warranty are actually just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged.

Mels SS offers very good advice about using some kind of battery maintenance device on vehicles that don't see regular use or have high parasitic draws. If anyone has questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has gone thru 3 red tops and on the 3 yellow top. My car hates optimas batteries I guess
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was a very informative post Jim. I too have had some issues with a red top that is very similar, 2 of them as a matter of fact, in the same car. All of the troubleshooting points to the fact that I have some sort of draw somewhere on the car but I have yet to find it. The battery stays charged just fine if I leave it connected to a battery tender and once fully charged I never see the charging light come back on.

I have measured the draw on the battery ones the car is off and it shows negligible draw, especuially after the 5-10 minutes after the BCM shuts off. My previous red top in this same car had the very same issue, the boys at Advance Auto Parts replaced it and stated it was bad.

I have a hard time believing this is the battery's fault however, I can't seem to find anything on the car to blame either.

Where would you recommend I aim my troubleshooting? Apologies if I hijacked...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
neilownz, Johnson Controls has owned Optima since 2000 and while the quality of our batteries has always been excellent, the batteries we are building today (and we still build our own batteries in our own facility) are the best we have ever made. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us under warranty are actually just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged.
I have heard it a few times and found this with a little more searching.

They moved their plant to Mexico in early 2009 so anyone with a battery 2 or more years old has one made in Colorado.
It would be nice if there were more group 35 choices, but with any battery you get just hope it lasts at least 36 months.

Last edited by neilownz; 01-17-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. 94ss06gxp, what have you modified on your car (electrically), besides your remote start? Do you have an alarm as well? If your battery is discharged to the point where it needs a jump, it is a good idea to fully-recharge your battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Asking an alternator to recharge a deeply-discharged battery can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace your alternator or your battery. If your commutes are relatively-short, your alternator simply may not have enough time to replace the energy your vehicle consumes during sitting and starting. Fully-charged, your RedTop should measure about 12.6-12.8 volts. If you measure your battery voltage at the terminals with the engine running, it will indicate the output of your alternator and should be about 13.7-14.7 volts.

You do not need a special charger to charge our batteries. However, “gel” or “gel/AGM” charger settings should be avoided, as they may not fully charge our batteries (or any other non-Gel batteries) and may damage them over time. If your battery (regardless of brand) has been discharged below a battery charger's minimum voltage threshold, the charger may not recognize or charge the battery. In those instances, using the parallel charging method described in this video can recover those batteries- http://youtu.be/dIoaL3DWWEg

The deeply-discharged battery does not “suck juice” from the second battery wired in parallel. The charger will see the voltage level of the second battery and deliver current to the deeply-discharged battery that is wired in parallel.

Mels SS offers very good advice about using some kind of battery maintenance device on vehicles that don't see regular use or have high parasitic draws. If anyone has questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Jim-

My commutes are about 20 minutes driving in the morning than about 15 minutes on the way home, with maybe a trip to the store in between. The remote start I talk about is factory stock and I have not added anything like alarm/stereo etc. . I do have a radar detector, and external XM radio unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter but I always turn them off when I get out. I do not have a battery charger at the moment but have been asking around if anyone I know has one, but in the mean time the car has been starting.

Quick Reply: car wont start and I have a red top. . . HELP