LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Just some DoD exhaust clips!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just some DoD exhaust clips!

I decided to upload some DoD exhaust clips, as all I hear people say is that the car doesn't sound good in DoD mode with aftermarket exhaust. I beg to differ, and you really need a subwoofer to enjoy this, but at any rate, I think it sounds pretty badass, actually I also uploaded one closeby WOT take off (without peeling out). Enjoy!

WOT Take Off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8ejFlGnKs&hd=1

DoD + Rev: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6rHR-zPYg&hd=1

DoD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-I8e77RjKU&hd=1
Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

No offense but none of those were a good example of DOD with aftermarket exhaust. It's one of those noises thats very hard to capture on a camera.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

If you're listening to it on ear buds or cheap computer speakers, it doesn't sound like anything, lol... I don't know what everyone's complaining about, though, DoD sounds just fine. I had my own car pass me in DoD before I recorded it, and that's what prompted me to record it. That, and everyone claiming it sounds like *** in DoD mode with aftermarket exhaust
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

put a cutout on and come back and tell me you love the sound. . .
Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

put a cutout on and come back and tell me you love the sound. . .
You've missed the point of my post completely, lol... Maybe you should re-read the title
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZyroXZ2
You've missed the point of my post completely, lol... Maybe you should re-read the title
Title was read, Ive had a magnaflow catback (one of the tamest aftermarket catbacks) and I couldn't stand riding around in a helicopter. . .
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

I couldn't stand riding around in a helicopter. . .
Well yea, from the inside, it sounds a bit like a helicopter for sure (though I don't totally mind that, lol). I'm trying to show what it sounds like from the outside as a bystander when LS4 owners with aftermarket exhaust in DoD mode pass by, and it's not horrid whatsoever. When you accelerate, you switch into 8 cylinder mode anyway, and accelerating in 4 cylinder mode is the only time I can imagine it would sound like total ***, haha... In other words, I don't know why people are so embarrassed about DoD, it's nothing to worry about!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw dod
Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well yea, from the inside, it sounds a bit like a helicopter for sure (though I don't totally mind that, lol). I'm trying to show what it sounds like from the outside as a bystander when LS4 owners with aftermarket exhaust in DoD mode pass by, and it's not horrid whatsoever. When you accelerate, you switch into 8 cylinder mode anyway, and accelerating in 4 cylinder mode is the only time I can imagine it would sound like total ***, haha... In other words, I don't know why people are so embarrassed about DoD, it's nothing to worry about!
sound was the last reason I got rid of DoD in mine. 1st reason is oil consumption has been linked to the DoD system, 2nd I drive 95% in town driving so there was never really a gas saving benefit for me, 3rd when my torque convertor would lock it would unlock and lock about 3 times before it would finally stay locked while cruising (which could be linked to the trans issues), which when DoD was deleted it got rid of the problem and the TC would act like it should.

I understand what your trying to get at tho.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Well, DoD has served me well. I commute about 60 miles a day, of which 40 miles is highway. I don't doubt that DoD has saved me hundreds (maybe thousands, given that I've had the car nearly 5 years, and gas prices DID skyrocket for awhile) in gas. I guess what I mean is: if I was in the market for a new car and it had DoD, it wouldn't turn me off. It doesn't sound as funky as people think in DoD mode with aftermarket exhaust, either, which was what this thread was really all about. The helicopter thing I definitely agree with, but that's sort of unique in a way, when people in my car are saying "sounds like we're in a helicopter". It's not like helicopters have a negative stigma or anything, haha... and helicopter engines are rather powerful, producing well into the 1000s of horsepower
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Screw dod

glad mine is now tuned out. I hated the sound on my magnaflow cat back. now i am deleting the res. i was afraid to do this before dod was tuned out
Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

thnx for the vids bro
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

u can kind of hear the helicopter sound in your video. perhaps you should do an in car video. from experience having the car straight piped when dod kicks in its extremely annoying/embarrassing. luckily its only turned on when i take it in for warranty work.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

u can kind of hear the helicopter sound in your video
You definitely can, but you can't say that sounds awful like everyone's claiming it does ... Besides, at least it doesn't actually SOUND like a 4 cylinder engine, it's more like a lopey booming, which I think is anything but embarrassing or something to be concerned about!

I already said it above, inside the car definitely sounds like a helicopter, and I've had many people say it sounds like they're in a helicopter as well. However, it's not like it's really negative comment
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Teching In

How do u turn the dod off?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06chevyimpss
How do u turn the dod off?
You have to change the cam and heads ,jk you use a Tuner aka hand held programmer
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I already said it above, inside the car definitely sounds like a helicopter, and I've had many people say it sounds like they're in a helicopter as well. However, it's not like it's really negative comment
to each his own. i consider someone saying my car sounds like a helicopter as a negative comment. now if someone said "wow man your helicopter sounds just like a helicopter" that would be a compliment. i dont think that the goal of anyone on here is for there car to sound like a that. i think the goal is for the car to sound more like a ls1 car, and less like airwolf.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

to each his own. i consider someone saying my car sounds like a helicopter as a negative comment. now if someone said "wow man your helicopter sounds just like a helicopter" that would be a compliment. i dont think that the goal of anyone on here is for there car to sound like a that. i think the goal is for the car to sound more like a ls1 car, and less like airwolf.
That's an odd perspective... If your helicopter sounds like a helicopter, that's not even a compliment, lol... Your goal may not be to sound like a helicopter, just like a twin-turbo big-block's goal isn't to sound like an oncoming jet, but when someone has something negative to say, it's going to imply it sounds like crap, not that it just sounds like something else. If someone says "your exhaust is annoying", or "your exhaust is really loud"... or "I hate your exhaust it sounds like crap", then you've got an issue on your hands, haha... Unless they imply it sounds like something commonly accepted as crap (which is clearly not a helicopter), such as "it sounds like it has a fart can"
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

fair enough. i think a car that sounds like a helicopter sounds like ****. you like it. were just going to have to agree to disagree. ill keep my dod tuned out. you keep dod on. were both happy. i personally think that your exhaust sounding like a helicopter does mean it sounds like crap, and i might be going out on a limb here, but im pretty sure a majority of the members on here would agree with that..

Quick Reply: Just some DoD exhaust clips!