LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How to get 400hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you guys need is a intake swap. The ls1 intake makes a huge difference compared to the stock ls4.
The ls6 isn't really needed unless one wanted to make power up to 6500.

With a intake and I am positive low 13's is possible
Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
All you guys need is a intake swap. The ls1 intake makes a huge difference compared to the stock ls4.
The ls6 isn't really needed unless one wanted to make power up to 6500.

With a intake and I am positive low 13's is possible
I remember reading that on one of the threads here on this forum. A lot of guys are using either the ls1, ls6, or ls2 intakes if I remember correctly.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well on may 5th ill let everyone know what the impala goes with ls1 intake, catless dp, and diablew tuned. Should have it all done this weekend.

David you would miss the car after all the headaches and time that have been invested in it. But if you do decide to sell it please make it to the track first. I am really curious to see how your setup does.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Well I'm not looking to buy a car until Aug/Sep.
Glad I checked here first, the LS4 cars are no longer a option. I couldn't buy a car knowing id have 2k+ because the tranny will be going out.

I'd like to spend around 10k and 13k max, 10k would be better.
So I need a decent performance vehicle with good amount of space..so far this is what I'm thinking

A 06/07 R/T and I would get the once with the Viper inspired sets, guess that also comes with the suspension. Get that a new bumper, SRT spoiler and new hood, and I would really love it!

Or a TBSS, probably RWD. I like them but have detailed a stock TB and really didn't like the interior to much. Anything better on the SS?I do love the exterior and engine

My "dream" vehicle for now would be like a 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. They are 100k SUVs, great off-road, amazing interior, quick, roomy and pretty dependable. But..a used one cost around 20k(lower price).

Any other good vehicles? I looked at the Jeep SRTs but they are 20k and I would just get the porsche for that...So a R/T usually around 11ish, a TBSS, or wait until..like Jan or Feb and the Porsche? Probably longer tho. I'm a senior in HS working at publix and doing auto detailing but don't want to go crazy on a car.

I also probably have around 300lbs of supplies, how do you think that will effect performance?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you dont want a high milage porsche anything. If something breaks and you cant afford the repairs your gonna be SOL...sometimes you have to make a compromise betwern performance and practicality. Id say the TBSS is your best option, faster than the charger and more room. But the interior does suck big time. My suggestion is a 99 to 06 denali, its got a 6.0 and hauls *** for what it is and has a nicer interior than the TBSS and you couldnt ask for more room.

Obviouslly weight will slow you down, eat gas, and impair handeling.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by apoirier594
Glad I checked here first, the LS4 cars are no longer a option. I couldn't buy a car knowing id have 2k+ because the tranny will be going out.

So I need a decent performance vehicle with good amount of space..so far this is what I'm thinking

A 06/07 R/T and I would get the once with the Viper inspired sets, guess that also comes with the suspension. Get that a new bumper, SRT spoiler and new hood, and I would really love it!

Or a TBSS, probably RWD. I like them but have detailed a stock TB and really didn't like the interior to much. Anything better on the SS?I do love the exterior and engine

My "dream" vehicle for now would be like a 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. They are 100k SUVs, great off-road, amazing interior, quick, roomy and pretty dependable. But..a used one cost around 20k(lower price).

Any other good vehicles? I looked at the Jeep SRTs but they are 20k and I would just get the porsche for that...So a R/T usually around 11ish, a TBSS, or wait until..like Jan or Feb and the Porsche? Probably longer tho. I'm a senior in HS working at publix and doing auto detailing but don't want to go crazy on a car.

I also probably have around 300lbs of supplies, how do you think that will effect performance?

Get the Charger R/T with the Road and Track package. You honestly won't be disappointed.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Launching!

you could suck it up and go with the LS4. transmission issues can be tentatively fixed for about a grand. decent performance potential and decent mileage out of the box.

if you want true reliability you're looking at the wrong 3 options.

if you want true performance you're looking at the wrong 3 options

fast, cheap, reliable. pick any 2...
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

i doubt youll be able to pick up a 06/07 r/t anything for 10k unfortunetly..
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

The trans really isnt that big of a deal imo.. gm will just keep giving you new ones for free lol. And the mileage is amazing, after my cai exhaust and tune im getting between 28-32mpg @ 65mph... pretty amazing if ya ask me, especially with the way gas prices are headed over $5 this summer, ugh!!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by apoirier594

Look for a LS1 GTO.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
Look for a LS1 GTO.
Truthitude.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
Look for a LS1 GTO.
If I remember correctly, he said he needed a larger car because of his work. A GTO would be an excellent choice in my opinion but he needs something with 4 doors. The sad thing is, there aren't many sports sedans with good performance with in his price range and HP requirements ala Impala SS, Pontiac Grand Prix and Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCoop
If I remember correctly, he said he needed a larger car because of his work. A GTO would be an excellent choice in my opinion but he needs something with 4 doors. The sad thing is, there aren't many sports sedans with good performance with in his price range and HP requirements ala Impala SS, Pontiac Grand Prix and Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300
Actually when I compared my GF's GXP to my buddies GTO, the GTO actually had more back seat room, althought the trunk space was a bit smaller. For being a HS kid needing to transport supplies, I think a GTO has plenty of room.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I have already told everyone how to make 400+ hp

Use the tfs 5.3 top end package with
Ls7 lifters, and buckets. Then get the katech tray with the Opsu adapter. Headers, 3" exhaust and a ls6 intake swap. Total will cost around 4500.00
Run the trans till it blows! My trans cost me about 3500 when it was all said and done. Suspension was arpond 500.00 for springs, bars, and alignment.

I have pieced this car together and nothing was done all at once, so I have around 6000.00 invested.
If you had to do it again would you invest in a turbo kit instead ?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

No to the turbo, because the kit is around 6000 after being shipped and the trans upgrades would cost a little more. Plus I would still have the crappy intake, exhaust, and the dod b.s
Mid 12's is plenty fast for a street car and reliable.

If I had all of the money up front, then, I would sell my heads and go with the tfs heads and 3.29 gears.

The tfs heads will raise the compression to 11:1 iirc (search my old threads) and use a smaller 205cc intake runner vs 212cc for the 243 heads. Port volicity from low to mid lifts kick the crap out of our heads.

Nothing wrong with turbo builds. Especially if you have fab skills.
Stuff just adds up real quick, and your tune better be spot on!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

No to the turbo, because the kit is around 6000 after being shipped and the trans upgrades would cost a little more. Plus I would still have the crappy intake, exhaust, and the dod b.s
Mid 12's is plenty fast for a street car and reliable.

If I had all of the money up front, then, I would sell my heads and go with the tfs heads and 3.29 gears.

The tfs heads will raise the compression to 11:1 iirc (search my old threads) and use a smaller 205cc intake runner vs 212cc for the 243 heads. Port volicity from low to mid lifts kick the crap out of our heads.

Nothing wrong with turbo builds. Especially if you have fab skills.
Stuff just adds up real quick, and your tune better be spot on!

Quick Reply: How to get 400hp?